Lis Sladen

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Allyn Gibson, Apr 19, 2011.

1. EJA

EJA Fleet Captain

I'm sorry, but I think it's best if what they got of Series 5 is shelved, seeing as how the lead actress died before they could finish it. Perhaps they can find a way to splice the remaining footage into a future episode of DW where the Doctor finds out about her death.

2. EJA

EJA Fleet Captain

I understand how you feel, but seriously: Let's just let it go, eh?

3. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

^

When John Spencer died, the cast of The West Wing filmed an intro for the first episode to air after his death, to honor his memory. And then killed off his character on the show in a way similiar to how Spencer himself had died.

Not sayin' that the same thing has to be done here, of course, since the show wasn't titled "The Leo McGarry Hour" or anything.

And I'm really not that big a fan of SJA, its aimed too much at kids for my tastes. But for fans who would like to see the idea of the series - a former companion workin' with teens to keep the world safe, Jo would be the best bet.

4. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

Put it this way, if you were filming Sarah Jane Adventures, and you knew Elisabeth Sladen wasnt going to be avabile for a few episodes, you would probaly think to write an episode where Cylde & Rani, meet up with Jo & her grandson, somewhere outside of London.

Its certainly an option, but obviously the BBC, RTDs and everybody involved needs to think long and hard about if they should do it, because in some respects it would be a very easy thing to do, but maybe not the right thing.

To even have that option to consider, is very unlikely.

5. Skellington

Skellington Part-time poltergeist Rear Admiral

Just noticed this on Count Zero's sig in another thread. Wikipedia and the SyFy.com forum agree.

First the Brig, now Sarah Jane :(. I had no idea that she was ill.

6. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

I'd rather see Liz Shaw. ;)

7. Misfit Toy

Misfit Toy Caped Trek Mod Admiral

What crushing news! I really enjoyed her work...

8. EJA

EJA Fleet Captain

Jo Grant could never replace Sarah Jane. Neither could any other ex-companion. Maybe in several years time, they could do something focusing on other companions from the classic series....but not now. Not like this.

9. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

maybe so, but it would be alot easier to write it with Jo and her grand son, as they have a pre exisiting relationship.

Funny if there was a proper funeral, and the Doctor was to show up, I could see him suggesting it to Jo.

As I said above, its very easy to do that, it just may not be the right thing to do.

10. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

She's busy on the moon base.

:p

11. EJA

EJA Fleet Captain

Do not replace Sarah Jane with Jo, Liz, or anyone else.

12. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

for what its worth whilst I dont support the idea fully, dont forget the last series finale, had the theme of Sarah Jane stepping down when she was no longer able to do the job, and letting someone else take over.

True she wasnt in full control of her mind at the time, but the themes are there, and I do believe Sarah Jane would do that, when the day actually came.

13. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

14. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

As long as there are Doctor Who fans, she'll live on, in a way.

15. Capt_Pickirk

Capt_Pickirk Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This is awful news, :(

To paraphrase Dr McCoy from Star Trek

'She's not really dead. As long as we remember her'

16. Chris3123

Chris3123 Vice Admiral Admiral

I was utterly shocked earlier today when I read that she died. I literally gasped.

Only 63. :(

17. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Damn. I know it's already been said, but this really was unexpected. I had not heard of her illness, and she still looked good as recently as last season of SJA. And at 63, she could have potentially lived quite a while longer. Really not expecting this at all.

Although I was first introduced to Sarah Jane through School Reunion, I have over the course of my viewings of classic Who seen many of her stories with Tom Baker and even a few with Pertwee. I've never really watched SJA aside from the episodes David Tennant and Matt Smith were in, but it did seem a decent enough show.

Sarah Jane is perhaps the closest thing we have to a companion to multiple Doctors. Proper companion of the Third and Fourth Doctors, guest appearance with the Fifth, recurring appearances with the Tenth, and an appearance with the Eleventh. I was hoping she'd have a few more appearances with the Eleventh, even if it was just something like another team-up with a bunch of former companions ala The Stolen Earth/Journey's End, but sadly that's out of the question now.

RIP

18. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oh man, like probably most classic Who fans, she was always my favorite, so I really don't know what to say. The strangest thing was that shes always been so youthful and energetic for a woman her age. She did an amazing job hiding her illness. I guess she just didn't want to upset the fans.

I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but I'm wondering if the title of the final story last season was some sort of subtle hint from her or the showrunners? Wierd coincidence otherwise.

And yes, put me down for thinking they should show those final stories. I can't think of any actor who wouldn't want their work shown. But I don't want to see the character killed off. Liz may no longer be with us, but I'd like to hope Sarah will still be out there for a good long time, fighting the good fight.

19. IcecreamLtDan

IcecreamLtDan Captain Captain

Wow, like many others, I had no idea she was ill. She'll be greatly missed. R.I.P. :(

20. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

Wow.

Completely shocked. No idea she was ill.

Wow.

Terrible, terrible news.

Never a fan of SJA, but I'll miss her.