Levar Burton to be the next host of Jeopardy?

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by TheMadCloner, Nov 15, 2020.

1. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

And tonight on "Matt Answers Clues," nothing unexpected happens.

2. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Actually, I found it a little unexpected that he bet 30K on Final Jeopardy. I've been wondering when he'd up the stakes some. Those 2K daily doubles have been annoying the hell out of me. C'mon dude. You're dominating. Bet money. Especially now. There's charities that can get that money in the mix.

3. Herbert

Herbert Commodore Commodore

He's been better than that first episode (YES!!!!! CORRECT!!!!!!!!) but still not that good. I'm not sure what I was expecting out of him but I've been disappointed.

CRM-114 and Gepard like this.
  4. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

I actually like his performance as host; I like his energy and his voice. Some of the other hosts have been so boring they practically put me to sleep.

Masiral and The Nth Doctor like this.
  5. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

More annoyingly, I don't think anyone else has gotten a Daily Double this whole week. Of course, the odds of him getting them are higher when he gets most of the answers, but it's still very annoying.

Mojochi likes this.
  6. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles Bright Fucking Ideas Premium Member

A couple of the other contestants during Matt's run have also managed to find the Daily Doubles, but all of them have gotten their questions wrong. :(

7. The Nth Doctor

This week or earlier (which I didn't watch)? I honestly can't remember. Matt's run has become a blur already.

8. Mojochi

Nevertheless, he's good, but Jeopardy James he is not. For all those Daily Doubles, James would have triple the cash. THAT was at least exciting

9. cardinal biggles

On Monday's game, both Patrick and Kathleen got Daily Doubles and got them wrong (Patrick's pushed him another -$2000 in the hole). Since then, Matt's found all the Daily Doubles.
    I guess it's exciting if big piles of cash get your chubby going. Both of them play like assholes; Holzhauer is just Matt with more of a gambler's edge and a bit of personality. Both of them ruin the game for me.

10. The Nth Doctor

Thanks for the refresher.

11. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Agreed, it's just hard to get "into" the game when someone is on there just dominating like this. I've yet to watching last night's or tonight's episodes simple because I don't want to sit through this jagoff and just watch him win with his smirky, derpy, face, his "What's", truncated way of giving answers and just his whole personality.

cardinal biggles and Gepard like this.
  12. The Nth Doctor

I think tonight's episode was LeVar's best effort and hopefully it'll be enough for him to be seriously considered for the permanent job.

But, yeah, Matt continued to suck. Ugh. Since I don't even know who the next guy is who is hosting, I'm definitely not tuning in next week.

Then after that, it's Joe Buck, right? Gods, the universe will implode if Matt is still on.

Gepard likes this.
  13. cardinal biggles

David Faber, he's a financial journalist on CNBC. I guess I'll tune in just to see how he does? But the next two weeks of the show do not look like they're going to be appointment viewing. Also, fuck Joe Buck.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2021
    The Nth Doctor likes this.
  14. Gepard

LeVar seemed much more relaxed tonight. Maybe knowing it was his last day took the pressure off. Regardless, I enjoyed his performance; it's shame he didn't get a second week.

publiusr, BK613 and The Nth Doctor like this.
  15. BK613

BK613 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not a Matt fan either but at least LB is walking away with a ton of cash for Reading is Fundamental.

Greg Cox, Trekker4747, Gepard and 2 others like this.
  16. Aragorn

Aragorn Admiral Admiral

AV Club updated ranking of guest hosts:
    https://www.avclub.com/the-jeopardy-guest-hosts-ranked-worst-to-best-1847049741
    1. Ken Jennings: The frontrunner
    2. Aaron Rodgers: The comforting choice
    3. Mayim Bialik: The joyous choice
    4. Buzzy Cohen: The next generation
    5. Dr. Sanjay Gupta: The relaxed option
    6. Robin Roberts: The fan
    7. Levar Burton: The wild card
    8. Savannah Guthrie: The smooth talker
    9. Bill Whitaker: The professorial choice
    10. Anderson Cooper: The safe choice
    11. Mike Richards: The insider
    12. George Stephanopoulos: The odd man out
    13. Katie Couric: The tourist
    14. Dr. Oz: The bad choice

CRM-114 likes this.
  17. KennyB

KennyB I have spoken............ Moderator

I'm rooting for 1) Cohen or 2) Jennings
    The rest of the list would treat the show as a side gig as most of them have higher profile jobs in other professions. I think some of them only took the guest hosting duty as an honorary tribute to the game and Alex. Rodgers appears to be back with the Packers as well for now.

Jim Klag likes this.
  18. Gepard

No way Rodgers deserves the number two slot. He was horrible.

19. Mojochi

:lol: Yeah, it's hard to argue that Holzhauer isn't an asshole lol, but he did bring a whole new way of playing, that basically rivaled the best to ever play it. Big piles of cash isn't necessarily what's exciting. Winning is exciting. Winning close can be exciting, and winning big can be exciting.

The reason Ken Jennings beat him in the GOAT is because well... he's likely a smarter trivia expert, but he ALSO had to begrudgingly alter his game play, to play James' game, or being smarter wouldn't have been enough. Like him or not, that's a literal game changer. It's a game of stakes, & not just a race to answer trivia questions.

I'm surprised Couric is rated so low. I liked her ok... way more than at least half a dozen of those others, & probably more than this next guy from CNBC. Blech. Personally, I'd wish Dennis Haysbert would give this a try... or possibly even Aisha Tyler... just someone a little more interesting than most of who we've gotten, half or more of whom are just newsies.

20. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

Agree. He was so boring and stiff that a cardboard cut-out would've been equally sufficient.

About Mayim Bialik....I used to really like her on BBT. But the more I hear her speak, the less I value her status as a neuroscientist. She's now hocking some supplements in TV ads, saying it "improves brain performance." It doesn't. It's mostly powered coffee beans. There was an article in Psychology Today that called it "snake oil." Plus, I also remember something she said during the "Me, Too" discussions--that she was never harassed because she always dressed modestly, rather implying that if you were sexually harassed, you invited it because of how you dressed. Then I found about her anti-vaccine nonsense. :rolleyes: You can say I'm no longer a fan.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2021