Let's talk about the elephant in the room, this series violates Roddenberry's vision big time

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Sci-fi fan, Oct 4, 2017.

1. Burning Hearts of Qo'nOs

Burning Hearts of Qo'nOs Commodore Commodore

I don't have any Trekkie friends save but one TNG fan, but she hasn't had a chance to watch it yet. However my two roommates, one of which grew up watching TNG and loved it (but is definitely not what I would consider a Trekkie, this was a childhood love between the ages of like 4 and 8 that didn't develop into the fanaticism that we all gladly take part in) and the other has no Trek background besides the JJ films which were 'pretty cool, I guess,' are both absolutely in love with Discovery.

Shaka Zulu and Borgminister like this.
  2. Blamo

Blamo Commodore Commodore

And it wasn't even around for TOS. In TOS humanity had gotten over a lot of their issues, but they weren't remotely perfect.

Which is another reason it's set pre-TNG.

Shaka Zulu likes this.
  3. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

I only hang out with Trek fans on the Internet. IRL, I know several folks who watched the pilot but none who signed up with All Access.

I do know a couple of folks who say they "love Star Trek" but who were unaware until I mentioned it that Discovery existed and have expressed no curiosity about it. I guess for most folks who "love" it, the fact that different versions of it are now in constant reruns is sufficient.

4. GeekUSACarl

GeekUSACarl The Last Starfighter Fleet Captain

Could you imagine a show about the Enterprise C?

/shudder

Shaka Zulu likes this.
  5. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

That was up there with Captain Worf on my list of Trek Series I Never Want to See.

Shaka Zulu, Feron, CRM-114 and 7 others like this.
  6. GeekUSACarl

For real

However I would like to see a full house style family show starring O'Brien and Keiko...

Or a Cheers reboot with Quark.

7. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Shouldn't you actually watch all of TOS before making such a proclamation?

8. Captain of the USS Averof

Captain of the USS Averof Commodore Commodore

Commander Landry: I see we’re unloading all kinds of garbage today. All right, Starfleet says we have to feed the animals.

Captain Kirk: Well, here's one thing you can be sure of, mister: leave any bigotry in your quarters. There's no room for it on the bridge.

(The difference between Star Trek and Battlestar Trek: The Expanse)

9. Burning Hearts of Qo'nOs

Burning Hearts of Qo'nOs Commodore Commodore

+1 for Battlestar Trek: The Expanse

Shaka Zulu and Michael like this.
  10. BillJ

People aren't walking around disrespecting women by calling them "walking freezer units", women also aren't hiding behind the men and proclaiming they're frightened in dangerous situations.

"She does a good job, all right. It's just that I can't get used to having a woman on the bridge. No offence, Lieutenant. You're different, of course. " - Christopher Pike, "The Cage"

The original Star Trek was a product of its time, for good and ill. But there's no way Discovery lines up with how Star Trek portrayed society.

Michael and O_Kav like this.
  11. rhllot

rhllot Captain Captain

Maqui rebellion and section 31 are things that destroy that vision and that was already done

Shaka Zulu likes this.
  12. cultcross

I hated that. I mentioned it in my show review, but her character was a bad caricature of a tough police officer which is outdated today, let alone in the distant future. I'm glad that wasn't reflected in other characters' reactions.

13. ISS Enterprise

ISS Enterprise Commander Red Shirt

GR tried to rewrite ST with TNG IMO

I have a hard time rewatching a good portion of TNG episodes. LOVE the characters except for Wes n Troi's Mom.....

90s trek became boring paint by numbers, again IMO

I'm getting into STD, but still not "there" for me yet

14. GeekUSACarl

There are some things that are just human nature that will never go away.

I don't think Landry is outdated today, I think that mentality is rampant.

I don't think it's going to go away in the distant future either. I think there are aspects of human nature one can "curb" but, I think this will always be a tug of war with any human society.

15. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

That's heartening--I know a handful of folks at the fitness center, a mandatory destination 4-5 times a week given that I work at home and am constantly exposed to the siren song of the refrigerator, but sadly none of them have heard of Discovery, except as a television station.

That's okay though--enough people seem to be coming on board to keep the new series going. Crossing fingers! :)

Shaka Zulu likes this.
  16. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Outdated? have you seen how law enforcement acts right now? she's a watered down, sanitised for TV version of it.

Shaka Zulu, 777, oberth and 3 others like this.
  17. cultcross

Yes.

Shaka Zulu, Mary Ann and Refuge like this.
  18. BillJ

It was all done for Burnham! She is such a superstar that Lorca wanted to see if she was shaken to the core by being called garbage! :lol:

19. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Then Landry shouldn't raise an eyebrow. Afterall, she didn't "accidentally" them with warning shots when they came aboard. She was positively generous compared to some.

Blamo and O_Kav like this.
  20. Mad Jack Wolfe

Mad Jack Wolfe Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

You're always going to have someone, somewhere, who has gotten the job of being the local muscle and they enjoy it more than they ought to. Landry is that person in this story. She's the faithful soldier who will follow any order and fall on her sword when asked.

Shaka Zulu, Feron and GeekUSACarl like this.