Let's continue TOS

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Voodoowoman2, Jan 3, 2023.

1. PCz911

PCz911 Captain Captain

(TOS) was not of an age, but for all time !
    And all the Muses still were in their prime,

uh, well, maybe not. It was of it’s time. And it was a TV show. The iterations that follow likewise reflect their times. They may work for you or not.

TOS harkens back to my youth and how I could spend hours pouring over the franz Joseph blueprints or the Alan dean foster books. I enjoyed the fan continuations… but I can’t imagine a world where it would be continued professionally. arguing over which variant is better is like arguing over colour… it’s all subjective.

Qonundrum, fireproof78 and XCV330 like this.
  2. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Indeed, especially as this very idea was being bandied around by Roddenberry back when TAS was being develolped:
    [​IMG]

XCV330, BK613, nightwind1 and 4 others like this.
  3. nightwind1

nightwind1 Commodore Commodore

Good thing they're not doing that, then.

XCV330 and fireproof78 like this.
  4. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Yeah, they are.

5. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Erm, they are all phases of Lego Batman. It's canon.

6. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Certainly not.

Quite true--and that was the intention of Roddenberry, Fontana, et al., with the creation of TAS. With all of the creative firepower behind TAS, and what was achieved in ST world-building (and advancing the popularity of the then-young franchise), its doubtful--and laughable to think anyone associated with the latest, horrid ST productions would create a strong, creatively satisfying continuation of TOS.

A myth long debunked by episodes of TOS (the ST production Roddenberry had the most control over), with characters of faith / events related to it, and was not the result of nonexistent pressure from NBC, or any other entity involved with the show.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2023
  7. mb22

mb22 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

He was very vocal against religion in the years after TOS, and this showed up in TNG (e.g. "Who Watches the Watchers").

Lord Garth likes this.
  8. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

I was talking about the myth of Roddenberry being irreligious during his control of ST during the TOS years, which would not be the case based on episodes and character statements.

mb22 likes this.
  9. mb22

From the available evidence, I don't think he was ever really 'religious' per se in his adulthood, just more neutral and tolerant about it prior to the 70s. His first marriage was a Christian one, the second (in 1969) Shinto Buddhist.

https://heavy.com/entertainment/star-trek/gene-roddenberry-religion-shinto-humanist-atheist/

Lord Garth likes this.
  10. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

The Canon Debates didn't really begin until the 1980s (and didn't become more serious until the 2000s), well after that timeframe, so what I say stands.

I don't see how someone can write a story like "The God Thing" and not have already turned against religion.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2023
    ChallengerHK likes this.
  11. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

Steering back to Canon:

As long as it was his version, Gene favored newer material (TMP and TNG) over older material (TOS). So he was changing things as time went along himself. He didn't throw things out altogether (unless it was TAS!), but he was constantly making adjustments.

If it wasn't his version, all that type of thinking went out the window, and he'd declare it non-canon if it wasn't well-liked (TFF) or just quietly ignore it if it was well-liked (TWOK-TVH).

12. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

When they were getting TNG off the ground he purportedly told the writhers they were not beholden to what TOS had established. Hence some of the subsequent inconsistencies.

ChallengerHK and Ronald Held like this.
  13. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Which is of course appropriate for telling a story as you go. Star Trek had so many different influences and writers and cooks that it would happen that something wouldn't be completely agreeable. That's why the new direction bothers me so little. The original is still there; it's not being changed, nor am I being told "this is the only version." Heck even Star Wars struggles with that one.

Canon will be contradictory. How well people are OK with that will be a mileage will vary. Me? Well, I have a much different view than many on Trek. It is not something I take super seriously.

nightwind1 likes this.
  14. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

Gene Roddenberry didn't like TOS at that point because he had sold the IP Lock Stock and Barrel to Paramount and wasn't making a dime off of the merchandising (and for a time Paramount was even suing him over his Lincoln Enterprises merchandise, and both parties eventually came to a settlement.)

To get Gene Roddenberry back or Star Trek the Next Generation, Paramount essentially made it his, and he was going to have a big piece of any and all merchandising, and whatever other profit streams they could devise. So yeah at that point Gene Roddenberry wanted to bury TOS and take it out of the public consciousness as much as possible; and replace it with this new better version that he now actually would make some real money off of.

GR's two main concerns were always:

1. $$

2. Young (.)(.) On a casting couch.

Although yeah, by 1987 he knew that 2. was a pipe dream at his age and condition at the time.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2023
    Warped9 and fireproof78 like this.
  15. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Totally missed the perfect opportunity to say Lock Spock and Barrel

#allaboutthepuns

16. mb22

Being kicked out of producing Trek after TMP (and reduced to "Executive Consultant) probably figured as well.

17. johnnybear

johnnybear Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So in 1973 during the animated series Gene Roddenberry wanted to replace the Klingons with another more ruthless enemy. :wtf:
    Then instead he decided that this new force may be the rulers of the Klingon empire that made the humanoid looking Klingons go out into space and threaten the borders of the Federation in the first place.
    These baddies would have still used the D7 design of Starship. But in the end we ended up getting Klingons voiced by George Takei or James Doohan and not John Colicos, Michael Ansara or William Campbell! :klingon:
    But these Klingons were presented to us with perms and pink tabards instead!!!! :eek:
    JB

publiusr and Henoch like this.
  18. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nothin wrong with pink!

fireproof78, johnnybear and Henoch like this.
  19. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It would have been a wild time! :techman:
    [​IMG]

publiusr and fireproof78 like this.
  20. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

This is exactly the reason why I get annoyed when people bring up 'Gene's Rules of Nacelles' or whatever as some kind of holy gospel, when in fact Roddenberry didn't give a shit about nacelles. He just wanted to discredit Franz Joseph Schnaubelt's tech manual because Roddenberry wasn't making any money off of it.