Lazy writers?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by JesterFace, Oct 29, 2017.

1. flandry84

flandry84 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

TV has changed thankfully though.
    A storyline as hokey as Riker’s long-lost twin would I think be handled a whole lot better,more time being devoted to both characters reactions and the real world impact of just what such a development would really mean for both men.

Not to derail the thread on this one episode but the more I thought about it the more callous the treatment of both Riker’s by the writers appears to me.Will seems unbothered by the experience,unquestioning his lost ambitions or his lost opportunities with Troi.
    And poor Tom,never heard of again until a spin off show decided it needed a familiar face to represent the maquis.Then,the character who had had a pretty rough deal is reimagined as a dirtbag traitor,potential war criminal before being royally fucked over...never to be seen again.
    Pretty damn cold treatment.

2. Prax

Prax Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The two episodes were only about a year apart. Besides it would be a great loss if we didn't have it, if only because of this:
    [​IMG]
    He looks so young there. Doesn't he look young there?

3. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

The real lost opportunity in "Second Chances" is that reportedly they considered killing off our Riker and replacing him with the duplicate...but they chickened out.

4. Prax

Wait, what?? :eek: The Enterprise crew, or the writers?

5. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

The writers. The plan was to kill Will Riker, but replace him with Tom Riker, thus mixing up the crew dynamic. Data would move up and become XO with Tom Riker becoming the ops officer.

IIRC, Berman was the one to say no because it would ruin the show's chances at a syndicated re-run deal or something. To be honest, I'm not really sure it would have been all that good an idea, but it was abandoned for the wrong reasons.

6. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

I can't find that exact quote. Where's it from?

7. Prax

George Lucas quote?

I was paraphrasing and making a joke, but he says something like that in an interview with Conan O'Brien...I think.

8. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Well, when you put quotes around something it implies that it's an actual quote. That's why I wondered.

9. Trek Survivor

Trek Survivor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Would've been a terrible idea - canning terrible ideas is not what I consider "chickening out".

2takesfrakes likes this.
  10. Prax

They sorta ended up doing that with Ensign Kim, killing the original, keeping the duplicate.

Paul Weaver likes this.
  11. Hey Missy

Hey Missy Captain Captain

Cultural revisionism?

Prax likes this.