Late 24th century uniform

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by F. King Daniel, Dec 20, 2016.

1. Enterprise1701

Enterprise1701 Commodore Commodore

Hey King Daniel, can you edit your original post to have the correct year? It's rather irritating to see the wrong century.

Hasn't Star Trek Online gone through several uniform revisions in its main timeframe? I might be alright with the STO uniform getting into the novels, but I'm not sure if I'm thinking of the current one as of December 2016.

2. Jinn

Jinn Mistress of the Chaotic Energies Rear Admiral

Only one:
    From this to this.

Markonian likes this.
  3. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I really like STO's 'Odyssey' uniforms.
    http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/6005803

The Artist is a big fan of the Honorverse novels, which is why Commanding officers have white shoulders. Commanding officers of the Royal Manticoran Navy wear white berets.

In the STO timeline Tactical has gone back to red in the lore. The real life reason is so they could have 3 colours for the 'Classes'.

The current STO uniforms were adopted in 2410.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
    Markonian and Jinn like this.
  4. DGCatAniSiri

DGCatAniSiri Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I totally agree - they look very much like what they were designed for, which is to make the actors appear older. Beyond that, there's really nothing that recommends that design, and I don't think it's all that pleasing to the eye in general.

Though the commbadge design is kinda nifty. But the uniforms? No, I'm good with them just being a figment of futures not to come.

5. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

Hey @Enterprise1701, the @ sign in front of a name will let them know that you're trying to get their attention like you have done. Not sure if it works when editing a post though to retroactively let them know.

Enterprise1701 likes this.
  6. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Done.

I always thought those "All Good Things"/"The Visitor"/"Endgame" unis were terrible, but since ST'09 all I can see is really poor USS Kelvin cosplay.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
  7. F. King Daniel

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Can't unsee weak homemade USS Kelvin uniform.

Avro Arrow and Markonian like this.
  8. Dayton Ward

Dayton Ward Word Pusher Rear Admiral

The high waist bit with the black material makes everybody look like they're waiting for the early bird special at Morrison's. And a flood.

9. TheAlmanac

TheAlmanac Writer Captain

I'm really surprised to see this negative opinion being so widespread around here...I've always liked that particular uniform variant, and I appreciated its consistent use as an indication that it was "the" future Starfleet uniform.

Jinn and ryan123450 like this.
  10. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Robau can make uniforms like that look dignified, but not many other people could.

"Walk with me."

11. F. King Daniel

Just remembered the alternate future of Imzadi (circa 2408) had a unique green future uniform for Commodore Data, pictured on a cover variant.

somebuddyX likes this.
  12. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Most of the stuff with uniforms after the TNG movie/later DS9 ones seem to use the Online "Odyssey" uniforms, so I wouldn't be surprised if the books eventually picked them up too. I like them, so I wouldn't mind if they did.

13. Jinn

Jinn Mistress of the Chaotic Energies Rear Admiral

Really? I thought they only appeared in STO and also only since or something. Also canonically they were introduced in early 2410, so I don't think that we'll see them anytime soon in the novels.

14. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

STO is not canonical. Different tie-ins can borrow ideas from each other, but they don't have to use their exact details.

SolarisOne likes this.
  15. urbandefault

urbandefault Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hey, don't knock the early bird special. You'll be thankful for it someday. :techman:

BillJ likes this.
  16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I was mistaken, I thought Countdown, the Picard/Q scene in the first issue in the Kelvinverse ongoing's Q Gambit arc, and the Data/Geordi story in Waypoint #1 all used those, but they were different. Countdown and Waypoint do use the same ones, but Picard is wearing a different outfit in Q Gambit, which looks like it might not be a uniform at all.
    EDIT: I just double checked and it turns out those were the uniforms from the original version of STO which was going to be released by Perpetual Entertainment, before it was taken over and totally revamped by Cryptic Studios.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2016
  17. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

Those uniforms lasted closer to 80 years, since if you remember the scene where Wesley watches the recording that Jack Crusher made when Wesley was born, and Beverly kept for Wes to see, those TWOK uniforms, even without the undershirts were still in use within 15-17 years of "Encounter At Farpoint". Plus Jack Crusher was wearing a TNG com badge, plus we know from the episode where LaForge transforms into the other creature, the TNG Season 1/2 uniforms were in use around 2360-1.

18. DGCatAniSiri

DGCatAniSiri Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

We also saw the human father of Jono wearing the TNG season 1/2 uniforms in the pictures of them, and Beverly dreaming of Picard bringing Jack Crusher's body home in that version as well, so the uniform switch presumably happened somewhere in the early 2350s.

19. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Okie dokie! Moderator

While they definitely appear to be based on those (the one labelled "CONN", anyway), there have been some changes made.

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Data?file=Captain-Data-Countdown-1.jpg

I always liked the Countdown uniform as a future uniform. I believe they used this same uniform in the recent Waypoint comic with Geordi and Data? I actually did think they were from STO, but I guess they were never actually used in the game.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
  20. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thats what I always thought as well.