Late 24th century uniform

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by F. King Daniel, Dec 20, 2016.

1. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

The talk of uniforms in another thread has me wondering: Do our heroes in the 24th century 'present' (2386) still wear the uniform introduced in First Contact with the Generations commbadge? Or has it changed somewhere (I'm a little behind)?

Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
  2. Shamrock Holmes

Shamrock Holmes Commodore Commodore

The cover art seems to suggest that the FC-style uniforms are still in use, however I don't recall the issue ever being specifically mentioned in the novels.

3. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

At some point I would say it should be changed to one of the uniforms and combadges we've previously glimpsed in the future.

Jinn likes this.
  4. starburst

starburst Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

One possible future showed Captain La Forge wearing the combination of the First Contact uniform but with the All Good Things Comm Badge, the episode Timeless where this happens I think is still about 5 years before the future parts of AGT.

So eventually I would say yes but if the novels are set in 2386 then its up to 4 years before the Comm Badge design changes and 4 to 9 for the uniforms.

Edited as Jinn pointed out I was naming a completely wrong century.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
    Markonian and ryan123450 like this.
  5. Jinn

Jinn Mistress of the Chaotic Energies Rear Admiral

I think you all mean 2386 instead of 2286.

6. Dayton Ward

Dayton Ward Word Pusher Rear Admiral

Except that they look horrible.

That's right. I said it. :devil:

7. Jinn

*gasps* Blasphemy!!!111!!1!!

8. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm not a fan of the future uniform, either.

I do really like the "All Good Things"/"The Visitor"/"Timeless"/"Endgame" comm badge, though.

SolarisOne and Markonian like this.
  9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I was actually wondering about this just the other day. I think the FC/late DS9 uniforms are one of the longest lasting ones we've seen so far.

10. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

But if there'd been a post-Voy series, there'd have been a new uniform design for it.

11. Idran

Idran Commodore Commodore

Do you mean real-time or in-universe? Because the TWoK uniforms lasted around 60 years or so; from Wrath of Khan to at least as late as 2344 on the Ent-C. Though I guess you could count removing the turtleneck as a uniform change?

Markonian likes this.
  12. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

Keep the First Contact uniforms please. Nothing from ST Online or the comics.

Mr. Laser Beam, Leto_II and Markonian like this.
  13. Idran

Idran Commodore Commodore

14. starburst

starburst Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That I did... Spend too often discussing the TOS crews era (be it TOS, movies or Kelvin), will edit :D
    Same, never really liked the uniform but have always liked the badge!

15. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

FC uniform with AGT combadge. Like La Forge's in "Timeless". That's my favourite combo, and if you have STO you can try it out for yourself.

One thing though, I wish engineering and security had different colours, like in ROTF and STO. There are several prominent colours left to use - orange, teal/cyan, purple, a clear blue/green separation.

SolarisOne likes this.
  16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh that's right. I tend to just think about the fact that we only saw them in six movies and a handful of episodes, but I forget about the fact that they used them for the entire time from those movies to just before TNG.

17. Shamrock Holmes

Shamrock Holmes Commodore Commodore

When I was working on my Cage-era variation (which could easily be adapted to FC-style) I had five core colours: Red for Engineering, Yellow for Operations (including Communications and Transporters), Green for Flight Control/Tactical and Commandos, Cyan for Services (including Logistics, Mess, Admin and Legal) and Lilac for Research (including Medical, Life/Social Sciences, Space Sciences and Physical/Space Sciences).

Security and field medics I figured would be somewhat spread between yellow, green and cyan depending on assignment (Regular guards could probably be Ops, but SWAT/SpecOps-type would probably wear green. Field Medics would likewise wear green if Commando-rated, cyan if operated as an independent/cross-trained practioner [ala the RN or RAN cook/medic] and lilac if also qualified as a (research) lab technician).

18. Emperor Norton

Emperor Norton Captain Captain

I suppose it depends which future you believe in. None are canon, as they are only possible futures. There's the solid color shirt with high pants, which I've personally never been fond of but it is interesting as something our heroes would wear when they are old and past their heyday. There is the continuance of FC uniform, albeit modified with that one future combadge. And the STO 2409 uniform has become popular in a lot of licensed works for a general "the future" uniform, despite only being used for a year in STO and existing only in the 25th century in that canon.

We're in the Nexus.

19. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

FASA's Next Gen Officer's Manual, which pre-dates TNG's budget-mandated recycling of the TOS movie uniforms, has a couple of different pre-TNG uniform designs.

Back to post-TNG unis, I'm quite fond of Countdown's uniforms which IIRC were from Star Trek Online promotional art.

20. Jinn

Say "hi" to Kirk from me.