• Welcome! The TrekBBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans.
    If you are not already a member then please register an account and join in the discussion!

Last movie you saw?

Even though it required the "brilliant" decision to both a) give an AI control of nukes and then b) make said AI impossible to unplug in case anything goes wrong or it turns out bad. I was surprised to learn the film was based on a series of books, and that later books involved aliens invading! Where's that film?
I do not think sequels were ever a big idea when this film was made. That huge remote at the start of the film was tossed and forgotten. I was almost sure it had buttons on it to turn off the traps that protect the computer core.

Speaking of which, what do they do when core parts break down?
 
Over the last few weeks I've watched:
Godzilla vs Spacegodzilla - OK, one of my least favorite movies in the series
Godzilla vs Destroyah - One of my favorites
Star Trek: The Motion Picture: Directors Edition remaster - Kind of in the middle of the TOS movies for me
Wrath of Kahn - My favorite TOS movie
Search for Spock - My second favorite
The Voyage Home - Tied with Wrath of Khan
The Undiscovered Country - Tied with Search for Spock
Van Helsing - This was the first time I saw this since it was in theaters, and I enjoyed it. It was fun, and a little campy, but I got the impression that it was meant to be campy.
 
Van Helsing was a fun movie and I think not at all meant to be taken seriously but was universally panned by critics but I think that was due to the way they marketed it
 
Last edited:
I rewatched Thurgood, the filmed version of Lawrence Fishburne's one-man play about Thurgood Marshall. I first saw it about 15 years ago on HBO, but I missed the first 15 minutes or so, and, since it was the last showing on the schedule back then, I didn't get a chance to see it again. I didn't see the full play till I picked up the DVD in a used bookstore about seven years later.
 
I watched Good Luck, Have Fun, Don't Die last night and I absolutely loved it. I think I have a new movie to add to my favorites. It's just so completely weird and crazy, and a ton of fun. The closest thing I can think of to compare it to would be Everything, Everywhere, All at Once.
But I will warn you it does feature some scenes where they're kind of making fun of school shootings. It doesn't treat the shooting itself as a joke, the joke comes in with everybody's reactions it. Everybody is so used to them that they just treat as an everyday thing, and inconvenience, and are super casual about it. It's really not as bad as it sounds in context, but if you're sensitive to that kind of stuff, I would avoid it because the shooting and its aftermath is a fairly important part of one of the storylines.
 
"Backrooms" (2026)

It's a psychological horror film inspired by a virtual trend. I usually don't watch horror films, but this one was very interesting.
 
The Bride, it was good, not anywhere near as good as Good Luck, Have Fun, Don't Die, but I still enjoyed it.
 
Came across Genisis II on YouTube last night and put it on. TBH I had to quite about 3/4ths the way through though. I will say that they spent money on making that movie.
 
I have never watched that
I only really had one major issue with it, there was something at the end that happened without any real explanation for it.
I didn't understand how Alexandra, Suki, and Jane knew about the spellbook. They suddenly knew to use it to get their revenge on Daryl, with no explanation of how they knew what it was or where it was. It kind of feels like a scene was cut out where Daryl showed it to them or the stumbled across it on their own and figured out what it was.
 
I only really had one major issue with it, there was something at the end that happened without any real explanation for it.
I didn't understand how Alexandra, Suki, and Jane knew about the spellbook. They suddenly knew to use it to get their revenge on Daryl, with no explanation of how they knew what it was or where it was. It kind of feels like a scene was cut out where Daryl showed it to them or the stumbled across it on their own and figured out what it was.


Was this the original or a remake?
Original had lots of edits
 
The version directed by George Miller and starring Cher, Susan Saradon, Michelle Pfeiffer, and Jack Nicholson.
 
The Manchurian Candidate (1962). Considering it for a class on Cold War history and cinema I’m teaching (officially the course name is Film As History, unofficially the theme is mostly Cold War related or adjacent).
 
If you are not already a member then please register an account and join in the discussion!

Sign up / Register


Back
Top