Last Classic Who Story you watched

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Pindar, Aug 29, 2012.

1. arch101

arch101 Commodore Commodore

The Dinosaur Invasion- God, the special effects really fall down. Too bad, too because it was obviously a very ambitious show. Relevant plot today- Greenies trying to eliminate the evils of modern society in order to return us to a simpler existence without considering the selfish ramifications. Some of these folks are right out of today's TV viewing. Also like how SO many people ended up being in on it. You really couldn't trust anyone. Thought they revealed Yates' involvement too soon, though. Benton was really great in this one - "I guess you'd better get busy overpowering me. Doc".

Death to the Daleks- a Dalek show where they are ancillary characters and not the main antagonists. How unusual. And it works, too. They obviously recycled the Death Trap maze through the ancient city later for The Five Doctors. More ambitious effects that fall down because of budget but we, of course, appreciate the effort. Good pacing- doesn't drag at all.

The Aztecs- Classic first series story. Dragged a bit as many of the early shows do but was entertaining and interesting. Especially entertaining was the Doc flirting with (and accidentally getting engaged to) a woman. This might be the first show where a companion makes a concerted attempt to change history and learns why it won't work. The Doc's response as to why its impossible is as forcefully delivered by Hartnell as it will be later by Tenant and Smith. Nice consistency over a 45-year span there.

publiusr likes this.
  2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Not really, because a year after "The Aztecs" where the Doctor said changing history was absolutely impossible, we got "The Time Meddler" where the Doctor was all "We have to stop the Monk before he changes history!"

Doctor Who has never done consistency.

3. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

the story goes that some new SFX company did a sales job promising you-beaut looking dinos leading the Invasion of the Dinosaurs being commissioned only for it to be case of over-promise and under-deliver.

arch101 likes this.
  4. Emperor-Tiberius

Emperor-Tiberius Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I love The Dinosaur Invasion. Probably Pertwee's last solid story before he left.

Haggis and tatties likes this.
  5. arch101

I can only assume nuWho covers that sort of thing with their "fixed moment in time" thing. Haven't seen The Monk in 30 years. I'm revisiting Hartnell stories for the first time since they became available in my area back in 1990.

6. Christopher

Yup, a latter-day handwave to rationalize decades of inconsistency. Funny how those fixed moments only seem to happen in Earth's past, never in the future or on another planet.

Jinn likes this.
  7. Emperor-Tiberius

That has always annoyed me. Still does. And The Waters of Mars is the only one about a fixed point in time in the future. Why?

8. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

Day of the Daleks(Special edition)......i forgot that on a few occasions the doctor can be quite handy with a gun. lol

publiusr and Emperor-Tiberius like this.
  9. Emperor-Tiberius

The Timeless Children -

... and some fans like this?

10. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Apparently Time Lords can change history. Except when they can't.
    There's an interesting contrast between Tenth Planet, where the Doctor seems to treat it as historical events that just needs to play out, and other stories where (at one interpretation) he seems to think he has to intervene to keep history on course despite alien interference, or the Master.

11. Christopher

They usually just ignore the history question except in stories set in Earth's past. "The Tenth Planet" was an interesting exception to that, and something we should have seen more of. It makes sense that the Doctor would see a lot of events from Earth's future as part of known history, but we rarely see that -- "The Waters of Mars" is the one other exception that comes to mind.

diankra likes this.
  12. diankra

Arguably the Master only came to Earth to target the Doctor, so the problem was caused by the Doctor being there. But otherwise there is a major inconsistency over how future events are fluid, but past ones on Earth unchangeable. And has been pointed out, the Doctor's proposal of sharing the planet in Silurians would have been a major change of history (fan work out:season seven Pertwee has a lot of his memory blocked, so doesn't know that).

13. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

This week's Dr Who in our Master run-through is Logopolis...

ETA- and it's an unplanned double with Castrovalva, as my wife insists on going straight onto that rather than waiting to next week.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2021
    Turtletrekker and arch101 like this.
  14. Emperor-Tiberius

Meanwhile, Revolution of the Daleks. Basically, a nice yarn that is emphatically nostalgic of the RTD era. Which is alright, but it still feels like more could have been done with both the premise and especially the writing. It seems weird to me that there hasn't been a single solo Chibnall story that I can rate as a solid classic, but it is what it is. Anyway, good to see Captain Jack, at least.

***1/2 out of *****

Last edited: Mar 13, 2021
  15. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

The Doctor changes history in nearly every story. Every time zone is another time zone's history.

16. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

Quickly hammering through Pertwee era, up to The Three Doctors now, and Benton tossing that chewing gum wrapper at the creature and kicking it off again still has me in stitches everytime i see it, silly Benton. lol

arch101 and Emperor-Tiberius like this.
  17. diankra

Of course, if that was a properly done Chekhov's Gun, that chewing gum paper would later have be found on Omega's world and been crucial to some plot point!

Emperor-Tiberius likes this.
  18. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

That only bugs me because it was John Carpenter’s idea in the second of his Apocalypse Trilogy

19. arch101

Watched the Brain of Morbius for the first time in decades. Solid 4-parter Baker story. SJS doesn't twist her ankle this time- she's temporarily blinded. Boy, do I ever feel bad for Liz Sladen having to put up with this stuff. Had completely forgotten about the Sisterhood of Kern being in this (after seeing them in the Paul McGann short which makes more sense now). I know there's a big debate among fandom about the faces seen during the competition at the eps' conclusion regarding which is the Doc and which is Morbius, and does it mean there were earlier Doc's than Hartnell. From what I saw: they showed the previous 3 Doc's at first, then Morbius starts bragging about his power, etc, and they show those other faces. So, I think they were all Morbius' previous regens, not the Doc's. Just my take.

publiusr and Emperor-Tiberius like this.
  20. Emperor-Tiberius

That was my impression the first time I watched it, as well. That said, I think Chibnall disagrees with you.

publiusr likes this.