• Welcome! The TrekBBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans.
    If you are not already a member then please register an account and join in the discussion!

Spoilers Lanterns discussion thread

  • Thread starter The Nightmare Doctor
  • Start date
So wait a minute

How was Noah a Manhunter and somehow his father wasn't? Did the Grandma specifically do something to him to pass her Manhunter-ness to him and not her son?
Given what Kerry says
Billy Macon isn't the Father. Kerry says she hadn't been with a man in months and that when her finger was regenerated she also got pregnant. So Zoe obviously caused that. Does Noah share her DNA? I have no idea.
 
Manhunters do not have DNA.

They are AI that can ride around in flesh suits, or drive around in metal chassis, depending on their mission parameters.

If their digital soul cannot be branded onto meat, a tiny tab of plastic half the size of an eyelash can be surgically implanted into an animal, and take full control, as if it was that animal, and really there would be no difference from the Manhunter being the animal or being a passenger.

I fell asleep in the middle and missed 5 to ten minutes, but I was insanely unhappy with this episode as it was so I am not bothered, but that "search your heart" line really bothered me, so my question is...

When did John figure out that Manhunters are Guardians and Guardians are Manhunters, and that no one was ever a Robotic servant, but that they are all the same Robots, which by the way realistically is about the only way that an immortal can deal with a billion years worth of wear and tear?
 
Last edited:
Tell me I'm not the only one who got a real bad vibe off of John's custom oath at the end – pledging to embrace his fear and swearing fealty not to an ideal but the lantern built by Sinestro.
 
Tell me I'm not the only one who got a real bad vibe off of John's custom oath at the end – pledging to embrace his fear and swearing fealty not to an ideal but the lantern built by Sinestro.

Not the Lantern.

"To this Lanterns light"

Splitting hairs, sorry.
 
I don't know what to feel about this finale - is it great or not, did they stick the landing?

I'm not sure i like the twist about Noah being a Manhunter as well, that seemed too easy and 11th hour twists out of the blue are kind of clichee and tropey. I liked the setup though for season 2 or even larger to be continued in the movies because Noah can go either way and i have a feeling it won't go the good way.

Hal's death was also pretty pedestrian i have to say - an emotional shortcircuit overreaction by Kerry and Hal is dead? The central mystery of the show and that's how it happened? That felt like a letdown to be honest.

So they also left a gigantic chesspiece on the board with Sinestro in a literal fear planet with the equipment to make Lanterns, what can go wrong there? I'm not sure if he's able to make rings too but it didn't seem like it but it's likely he can use the Forge there to get at least off planet and hatch a scheme to get ring production capabilites from the Guardians somehow or they'll skip that for convenience sake and just let him found the Sinestro Corps right there. This will surely bleed over into the movies, it's big enough and i may recall it wrong but i seem to remember that i read somewhere that Lanterns is supposed to set up a major component of the first DCU arc so maybe that's it - either the Manhunter falls and becomes the big bad or it's Sinestro, maybe even a combination of both ( still so many unanswered questions - how did the Noah Manhunter know about Sinestro and how was he able to bust him out).

I'm a little disappointed that we never got to see the Sinestro/Hal fight that broke him, i really wanted to see that aftermath but i guess the show was way too straightforward and just assumed losing another father figure, this time through betrayal, broke Hal.

I'm not yet sure if revealing Noah's true identity made John reconsider becoming a Green Lantern as a break in case of emergency type system should Noah ever succumb to his darker side but since the show is such a straight shooter i will assume it is, also by fact that John is limiting himself to Earth ( for the time being, who know's what will happen down the line).
However that "tainted" Lantern cannot be a good sign. Hal's parting advice about not fearing fear but to overcome it may be even more important but if that Lantern is part Yellow, part Green as it seems to be i think John may be in big trouble down the road.

Also they seemed to have implied this would be the last we see of Hal once John officially takes over the ring by charging it for the first time himself. That would be a shame because i really liked that unburdened relationship between him and John, the way it should have always been and it seemed John also liked it even though they argued like friends sometimes do. I hope that's not the case but i think this might have been it for Hal permanently.

When did John figure out that Manhunters are Guardians and Guardians are Manhunters, and that no one was ever a Robotic servant, but that they are all the same Robots, which by the way realistically is about the only way that an immortal can deal with a billion years worth of wear and tear?

Was the heart comment the only basis for your claim or do you have other clues? If the show is as strightforward as it seems i don't think your theory holds up.

Tell me I'm not the only one who got a real bad vibe off of John's custom oath at the end – pledging to embrace his fear and swearing fealty not to an ideal but the lantern built by Sinestro.

As i said above i agree, haing a yellow infused Lantern can't be good but i don't think the custom oath is the problem. Most likely setup for a future storyline.
 
Noah was hardly 11th hour. People have been predicting he'd be a manhunter for at least three weeks.

Predicting but there was never any hint as far as i'm aware of.

The show was super straightforward in hindsight. Remember all the talk about Red Lanterns because the alien in the pilot said vengeance? Nope, regular aliens that got genocided by a Manhunter.

In the end it was the Zoe Manhunter that did an implantation during Kerry's treatment and that's it. No lead up, no clues, nothing but one line to completely change his heritage and purpose so 11th hour it is no matter the fan speculation.
 
Sometimes a waitress is just a waitress. I was wrong on that count, but I was right about Noah's true nature.

For a season finale, this episode was surprisingly quiet and I think it greatly benefited from that. I was impressed how everything came together so well and tied off all of the loose ends. Hal's murder, Sinestro's escape, the Manhunter mystery, John's role as a Green Lantern while not contradicting Guy's role. Even tied off the final thematic threads for Kerry and Bernadette, as well as answering the timeline question about Noah's conception. I'm also glad that the deep conspiracies about Lianna's "true" identity turned out entirely false and that the Guardians are just high-minded, self-centered jerks.

But most importantly, I'm grateful there was a honest path for John to become a Green Lantern under his own terms and no one else's. Not his mother's, not Hal's, not the Guardians'. I love that he's now an independent contractor, as John said, and I'm looking forward to his role in Man of Tomorrow and the potential (but as of yet unconfirmed) second season.
 
Well, that turned out to be a lot more straightforward than I expected.
Which is 100% for the better. There were so damn many convoluted theories going on throughout this season and especially going into the finale and, often is the case, the simplest explanation is the answer. Some day, certain fans will finally accept that.

It's weird that the first suspicion I raised was that Kerry shot Hal because she was the only person who wouldn't have caused him to put up a fight... and then week after week the show reveals made me jump from that to something else and something else, etc...
Sometimes those are the best mysteries, especially in this day and age of complex Rube Goldberg solutions that are often prevalent in murder mysteries.

and ultimately it really was that. Also it turned out the whole sitting down while shot was actually he fell down and just happened to land that way...
Which, honestly, felt a little weird to me. I need a MythBusters episode to test the plausibility of such a result. :lol:

Wondering what the DCU ramifications are since John Stewart is throwing the gauntlet down and saying he's now in charge of Earth and Guy needs to stop operating on Earth.
Yup, that's definitely ripe territory to explore in the potential second season (and I'm sure it'll at least be acknowledged in Man of Tomorrow). Fingers crossed if that's what we get.

Nice, though, they left Sinestro alive, alone on the fear planet, and also established that he can use the resources of that planet to forge a lantern.
I wondered about that. I don't know much about Green Lantern lore so I was surprised Sinestro was able to forge a lantern on Antaan's World.

In terms of what 'color' John Stewart is in terms of Lantern... I saw this story which has quotes from the series creators.


King then followed Lindelof by explaining why the Green Lantern oath doesn’t technically apply to John. “John is not a hundred percent a Green Lantern anymore. He has an unsanctioned lantern that has a bit of yellow and a bit of fear in it,” King said. “So he’s not saying the same oath as every other Green Lantern — just like a Yellow Lantern or an Orange Lantern says something different. John is this utterly unique creation that he chose for himself. So getting his own unique oath seemed to line up very much with the lore and where we’re going from here.”

So it seems the intent is to clarify John is not a yellow lantern. Just that his power has a 'little bit' of yellow/fear in it. I'm not really sure how that tracks with the way these powers are in the comics or if it may be something where the green becomes corrupted by that 'little bit' of yellow, although it seems like they are going out of their way to say he's not a yellow lantern.
Thank you for that information. I'm guessing the Green Lantern lore sticks to primary colors and John won't be called a Chartreuse Lantern or something similar.

When she regrew Kerry's finger she implanted Noah in Kerry. On purpose? Who knows? Billy is not Noah's father. Noah is Anakin Skywalker
I wouldn't say Anakin Skywalker. I think the closest analogy would be what David did in Prometheus. :lol:

Tell me I'm not the only one who got a real bad vibe off of John's custom oath at the end – pledging to embrace his fear and swearing fealty not to an ideal but the lantern built by Sinestro.
I didn't get that vibe. I think it's more about what Hal's comment about not being afraid to be afraid and not worrying about being fearless. Maybe that's naïve of me to think, but I think that's the choice John made, especially in light of what he said about Bernadette (which was reinforced by his final scene with her).

Predicting but there was never any hint as far as i'm aware of.

The show was super straightforward in hindsight. Remember all the talk about Red Lanterns because the alien in the pilot said vengeance? Nope, regular aliens that got genocided by a Manhunter.

In the end it was the Zoe Manhunter that did an implantation during Kerry's treatment and that's it. No lead up, no clues, nothing but one line to completely change his heritage and purpose so 11th hour it is no matter the fan speculation.
I would say Kerry's comment to Hal about a miracle was a hint. I feel like there were certain thematic hints as well.
 
Was the heart comment the only basis for your claim or do you have other clues? If the show is as strightforward as it seems i don't think your theory holds up.

They gave him a planet, but it was fairly short sighted not to insist on the other 7, in the set too.

Like I said, I missed 5 minutes. and then by the time I came to, John said something "weird" that only would have made any sense if something cool had happened or been revealed while I was out of it, but short of the kid talking about his programming, did we ever get a description of the "history" of the Manhunters being Robotic servants? It's just common knowledge, but it's common knowledge specific to other universes. Maybe they are leaving a lot on the table for season two?
 
They gave him a planet, but it was fairly short sighted not to insist on the other 7, in the set too.

Like I said, I missed 5 minutes. and then by the time I came to, John said something "weird" that only would have made any sense if something cool had happened or been revealed while I was out of it, but short of the kid talking about his programming, did we ever get a description of the "history" of the Manhunters being Robotic servants? It's just common knowledge, but it's common knowledge specific to other universes. Maybe they are leaving a lot on the table for season two?

Who or what are you talking about?

If you mean John being the Lantern for our solar system i don't think he wants that, even less so if the Martian Manhunter also originates from Mars in the DCU ( something John couldn't have known). I think one of the main driving forces of him is to keep tabs on Noah, to act as a failsafe should he ever go rogue and that doesn't need him to patrol lifeless planets ( according to his knowledge).

Aso the nature of the Manhunters in the MCU much of it is vague. We know they are shapeshifters and artificial, which is a convenient way for Noah to have all these skills and knowledge by way if a "simple download" by Zoe ( or she programmed the fetus already with the knowledge), which raises an interesting question of Noah being aware of his true nature all along or if there was an unlock moment at some point as he got older.

Probably the first because Manhunters seem to be fantastic actors, so it would have been easy for him to behave as a child and a teenager.

One thing i'm 99% sure of is that this wasn't the last time we have seen Noah or Sinestro.
 
I would say Kerry's comment to Hal about a miracle was a hint. I feel like there were certain thematic hints as well.

If so then they were very faint and on the same level of the alien saying vengeance and everyone losing their minds and going for Red Lanterns.

At some point during the run and the leadup to the finale there were so many theories floating around that some were bound to be true just by sheer volume but it still felt a little too sudden to make Noah a Manhunter, but that's just me.

Having had a few hours to process i must say despite my initial assumption or wish to see some big fights i'm glad they stuck to the vibe of the show and kept it grounded and subdued. The movies are where the spectacle needs to happen to put butts in seats but i'm ok with shows having a longer runtime go different paths.
 
Who or what are you talking about?

If you mean John being the Lantern for our solar system i don't think he wants that, even less so if the Martian Manhunter also originates from Mars in the DCU ( something John couldn't have known). I think one of the main driving forces of him is to keep tabs on Noah, to act as a failsafe should he ever go rogue and that doesn't need him to patrol lifeless planets ( according to his knowledge).

Aso the nature of the Manhunters in the MCU much of it is vague. We know they are shapeshifters and artificial, which is a convenient way for Noah to have all these skills and knowledge by way if a "simple download" by Zoe ( or she programmed the fetus already with the knowledge), which raises an interesting question of Noah being aware of his true nature all along or if there was an unlock moment at some point as he got older.

Probably the first because Manhunters seem to be fantastic actors, so it would have been easy for him to behave as a child and a teenager.

One thing i'm 99% sure of is that this wasn't the last time we have seen Noah or Sinestro.

Protecting Noah is not as important as stopping a thousand Lanterns from showing up to maim everyone on Earth standing between them and Noah, but the Guardians are not going to do that, if they do cotton on to Noah being a Manhunter, because John threatened to tell the Corps that the Guardians are Toasters, which will probably fuck up morale and recruitment.

John defends Earth, but if the Guardians let the Khund buy mining rights to strip mine and frack Jupiter, it will cause a lot of problems for Earth.

I'm reading a lot into "one line" but it sure is fun to let this dog hunt.
 
Last edited:
Protecting Noah is not as important as stopping a thousand Lanterns from showing up to maim everyone on Earth standing between them and Noah, but the Guardians are not going to do that, if they do cotton on to Noah being a Manhunter, because John threatened to tell the Corps that the Guardians are Toasters, which will probably fuck up morale and recruitment.

John defends Earth, but if the Guardians let the Khund buy mining rights to strip mine and frack Jupiter, which will cause a lot of problems for Earth.

I'm reading a lot into "one line" but it sure is fun to let this dog hunt.

Your thought processes are too weird for me today so i'm bowing out ;):lol:

Have fun!
 
Not the Lantern.

"To this Lanterns light"

Splitting hairs, sorry.

I think that's an important detail though.

In the end the story was very straightforward, but I still enjoyed it overall. I did like how a lot of the concerns I had about John's parents were addressed in the final episode. It will be interesting how these changes from the comics lore will come into play in the future. For example, is John's ability to embrace his fear going to help him when Parallax eventually shows up? If Hal returns now, I'm going to immediately suspect him as being Parallax.
 
I think that's an important detail though.

In the end the story was very straightforward, but I still enjoyed it overall. I did like how a lot of the concerns I had about John's parents were addressed in the final episode. It will be interesting how these changes from the comics lore will come into play in the future. For example, is John's ability to embrace his fear going to help him when Parallax eventually shows up? If Hal returns now, I'm going to immediately suspect him as being Parallax.

1. John with his Yellow Lantern is more likely to eventually become Parallax, surely?
2. Zombie Hal is the Spectre, even though this new universe doesn't have near enough lore for anyone to care about that.
 
Which is 100% for the better. There were so damn many convoluted theories going on throughout this season and especially going into the finale and, often is the case, the simplest explanation is the answer. Some day, certain fans will finally accept that.
About 50-50.

As entertainment, the show's been pretty damn good. Great acting, good characters. As mysteries go, it was pedestrian. They didn't so much answer a lot of questions as dismiss them.

Which is fine as long as it lands with enough of the viewership.

Chandler was a delight from start to finish. Fillion makes Guy such a plausible buffoon that it's easy not to notice all the choices that go into it.

The whole thing's maybe eight out of ten. If my interest in it was as a mystery, I'd score it way lower. It wasn't a good one. But that's not what they were about, here.

Bumpy landing, but they walked away from it.

I hope Halogram sticks around. They left that door wide open. Sinestro's claim to the contrary doesn't mean anything.
 
Last edited:
So how did Hal get a new house so quickly after the first one burns down, the timescale doesn't really allow it.

Why did Hal stop backing up his ring? Yes it allows for the plot but what's the in-universe reason? We get hints of something around when the Guardian was killed but it's never confirmed or made explict.
 
So how did Hal get a new house so quickly after the first one burns down, the timescale doesn't really allow it.

Why did Hal stop backing up his ring? Yes it allows for the plot but what's the in-universe reason? We get hints of something around when the Guardian was killed but it's never confirmed or made explict.
Yeah, that was a dropped story thread. They built that up too specifically, and raised the What Happened? question early while offering brief speculation to drive it home.

Replacing the house? You know, at the end of the day, it's a comic book.

I do wonder why, if Sinestro could forge a battery, he couldn't forge a ring for Noah. Too convenient. But again...comic book. They tend to tie up some details dismissively. Superman would have had a thought bubble in the last panel explaining the rental.
 
If you are not already a member then please register an account and join in the discussion!

Sign up / Register


Back
Top