La Sirena

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Picard' started by Mondragon, Jan 10, 2020.

1. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

DaveyNY from Skin-Neck-Ta-Dee (Schenectady)
    Maybe it's an old Defiant-class that been decommissioned and upgraded by it's current Captain?
    A-la the Millennium Falcon?

Unimatrix Q likes this.
  2. pst

pst Commodore Commodore

based on those pictures, i wondered if rios had formerly commanded a defiant class starship and stole the chair for his freighter.

Danja likes this.
  3. Llywela

Llywela Commander Red Shirt

Aye, he strikes me as something of a lone wolf. The pre-show press has said that Raffi is his business partner, but other than that it looks like the entire crew of La Sirena is made up of the various riff-raff Picard puts together for his mission. Which suggests that Rios is more usually out there on his own and is used to having the ship to himself - which could be just one of the reasons he is reluctant to get involved with Picard's mission when he gets the call (presumably from Raffi - Picard goes to her for help, and she calls in her business partner Rios and La Sirena as transport).
    From the pre-show press, I doubt he was old enough to have made captain when he left Starfleet. We'll see.

pst likes this.
  4. ToyBoxComix

ToyBoxComix Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I take it the name is symbolic of Picard hearing the siren call back to space.

5. NCC-73515

NCC-73515 Vice Admiral Admiral

Only starfleet consoles had LCARS. In TNG-VOY, almost all alien cultures had similar touchscreen consoles, but none of them were LCARS.

6. pst

pst Commodore Commodore

don’t forget the fact that federation civilians were almost always shown using a different type of interface than starfleet used, it was closer to the TOS movie UI than the LCARS style.

urbandk and Lord Garth like this.
  7. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

The Movie UI is/was like the Windows XP of UIs in the 24th Century. It's something that just refused to die. :p

But now they have Picard-style LCARS because they gave everyone a free/mandatory, "we're going to force it on you or else!" style upgrade. So these UIs are like the Windows 10 of UIs.

That's Picard being timely. ;)

pst and Danja like this.
  8. Mondragon

Mondragon Commander Red Shirt

Not sure what the confusion is with you all ?
    From Raffi's console (even blurry) you can clearly see these are not still the exact same as TNG but update new designs. Plus we know they also generate floating holo-displays and controls.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
    Admiral Picard and pst like this.
  9. pst

pst Commodore Commodore

they're also clearly different from the picard-era starfleet LCARS we see in the admiral's office in the trailers.

10. Mondragon

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Love this new (slow drift) shot and detail

Also noticed many ((mostly anglo-amer) friends & Youtube Trek sites discussing the new series) just can't seem to pronounce La Si rena, and default to La Seri na.:)

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
    nicholasm likes this.
  11. mdtauk

mdtauk Captain Captain

In Deep Space Nine's "The Visitor" it shows future Dax at a console, talking about how long its been since she used a 2 dimensional interface.

So its not out of canon here - but it was in Discovery for that time period.

Danja and Crewman6 like this.
  12. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

To be exact, PIC shows holographic controls for the Sirena. In DSC, nothing much is holographically controlled, save for the things themselves that are being displayed on those flat free-floaters. Could Burnham or Airiam make the ship spin by clicking on a hologram? Perhaps. But they instead push physical buttons for that. FWIW.

Why is Rios' holo-throttle better than a physical one? Probably because it goes away when not needed, or becomes a cigar cutter or a sidearm as needed. But it would have been ages since Dax used a three-dimensional physical throttle, too - those went out of fashion a century before "The Visitor", apparently, in favor of utterly two-dimensional (even if still purely virtual) controls.

Timo Saloniemi

urbandk and antinoos like this.
  13. Mondragon

LOL some fun popular Youtube Trek fan examples saying
    La Seri na instead of La Si rena,
    Should jump to the word:
    - 0:18
    - 5:04
    - 4:41
    - 0:14
    - 2:39

La Sirena- 0:08

(fyi i'm not criticizing, they are very similar, just a fun observation, likely they are defaulting to the similar sounding more familiar tennis player, and have never heard La Sirena pronounced )

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
    Danja likes this.
  14. NCC-73515

NCC-73515 Vice Admiral Admiral

It's like the American pronunciation of latin words (alamnai instead of aloomnee for alumni)

15. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

16. Mondragon

[SIZE=4][FONT=Open Sans][COLOR=rgb(20, 20, 20)]
    New(ish) EW publicity shot of La Sirena's interior, and displays.[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

Last edited: Mar 13, 2020
    DEWLine and Danja like this.
  17. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Definitely a working ship. I like it.

18. Alan Roi

Alan Roi Commodore Commodore

So do we have to wait until episode 3, as with Discovery, before we get to actually see the heroship of this show?

Crewman6 and PiotrB like this.
  19. Danja

Danja Commodore Commodore

I know the feeling.

We here in #The Collective are waiting for Seven of Nine to arrive in episode four.

20. Alan Roi

Alan Roi Commodore Commodore

The US did split from Britain before both countries standardized their English. Reading some maps of the Toronto, Canada region once which were from the late 18th century, I noticed that all the spelling was in American standard spelling, not what Canada adopted decades later.