La-La Land to release 15-disc original series score set

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Harvey, Aug 11, 2012.

1. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

Agreed!

2. Indysolo

Indysolo Commodore Commodore

It's still available.

Neil

3. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I hope it always will be. Everyone on the planet needs this.

4. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Spotify? I know you get very little $.

5. Firebird

Firebird Commodore Commodore

On the Cinerama screen, in glorious Technicolor.
    You beautiful tropical fish, this is exactly what I've been hoping for. I'll be ready to fork over my cash for more Trek music.

Indysolo likes this.
  6. feek61

feek61 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

They printed 6000 units; I wonder how many are left

7. Garth Rockett

Garth Rockett Commodore Commodore

Apologies for bumping something that hasn't had a post in a few months, but I finally decided to take the plunge into collecting the various Trek soundtrack releases back in January. I took advantage of the current sale on LaLaLand's website to get the TOS boxset, and my copy arrived on Monday. I've been going through 2-3 discs a day at work and I've made it through disc 11 so far. This really is a phenomenal achievement and I'll add my voice to the chorus recommending this set for all TOS fans. The music is presented in excellent quality and the liner notes are outstanding. Thanks to Indysolo and the rest of the team for this top-notch release!

BeatleJWOL and Indysolo like this.
  8. Tallguy

Tallguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Congratulations! You've taken your first step into a... Oh, wait, wrong series.

You should see what sets are going out of print. I believe one or both of the TNG sets are in that neighborhood.

9. Ssosmcin

This is really the crown jewel of my music library, If no other music is every released, I will still die happy. This is the soundtrack of my life.

I also recommend the 50th Anniversary set. It has some unearthed first generation library cues, a bit missing off "Spock's Brain," a Love Scene cue they got from a music stem, plus the animated series music and the Wilbur Hatch bumper music!

Oh yeah and other great later Trek music too. :)

http://www.lalalandrecords.com/Site/StarTrek50TH.html

Truly a windrous achievement. Enjoy your journey!

Indysolo likes this.
  10. Garth Rockett

Garth Rockett Commodore Commodore

Thanks, although I initially started in January with the idea of just doing the films (the 3CD TMP soundtrack is what kicked this off), I quickly started getting a few of the TV sets with an idea of knocking out the older ones first to make sure I don't miss out. I got TNG 1 last month and I picked up the DS9 set this week along with the TOS box. Those are the two that LaLaLand's website indicates are in short supply at the moment. Hopefully the others will stay in stock a little while longer. I'm planning on going for The Ron Jones Project next month. Not sure if it's close to going out of print, but it's been out so long I figure I shouldn't push my luck.

Thanks! I picked up that set last month too; in fact that's what tipped me over to expanding beyond the films and into the TV series as well. I couldn't pass up the TAS music, but I've enjoyed all four discs of that one as well. I love that they included the Paramount ID's!

Indysolo likes this.
  11. Indysolo

You're welcome!

Neil

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  12. tharpdevenport

tharpdevenport Admiral Admiral

Well, we have an answer now: about 3,500.

It was a big financial undertaking. As I recall, it was this and the lackluster sales on the "Mission: Impossible" set that caused them to cancel a project (un-named) and re-consider others.

La La Land asked for people who would buy a copy so they knew how many to print. It's understandable there's alkways going to be a fraction that don't purchase something when they say there are going to (unexpected financial changes, unexpected bills, death, etc.), but only 3,500 out of 6,000?

Let me just say -- as somebody who doesn't work for them or any other label: if you can afford it and wanted it, please consider buying it.

IronWaffle and Methuselah Flint like this.
  13. Methuselah Flint

Methuselah Flint Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm quite surprised - not even half sold ?!

14. Indysolo

The data is being misrepresented. About 3500 have sold. The next time you ask the internet if they'd buy something, take the final figure and cut it in half.

Neil

Methuselah Flint likes this.
  15. Ssosmcin

I wanna buy a second copy....

Methuselah Flint and Indysolo like this.
  16. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

What projects were cancelled and unnamed? I hope it wasn't Batman. I'd love a complete set of that show even though I can't afford it right now.

17. Ssosmcin

Pretty sure Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea might have been one. Which depresses me. That series had better overall music then Lost In Space, which probably hasn't sold as much as hoped.

18. RandyS

Well I bought the Lost in Space set when I could afford to so I hope that makes you feel better.:bolian:

And yeah, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea would be on my wish list too. Also, Get Smart.

Spocko likes this.
  19. Ssosmcin

Ha, thanks! Voyage had amazing music throughout the run. While John Williams pretty much dwarfs anyone in the Irwin Allen library with his LIS scores, the Voyage music didn't dip into silliness and outright comedy like LIS' did. So even the more ridiculous episodes had mostly serious music. Only Terrible Leprechaun and Return of Blackbeard had much lighter scores, but they were just that: light hearted and upbeat. Not "comedy" music. I would freak if a box set of Voyage's scores got a release.

As well as The Time Tunnel, The Six MIllion Dollar Man and Hawaii Five-O.

Spocko likes this.
  20. RandyS

^I completely agree with you on Time Tunnel (I enjoy all four of Irwin Allen's 60s Sci-Fi shows and have them all on DVD) and Six Million Dollar Man. I was never a Hawaii 5-0 fan, but I hope you get your wish for that too.

Ssosmcin likes this.