"Krypton" coming to SyFy from David Goyer

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Turtletrekker, Dec 9, 2014.

1. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

WHat...it's the DC FILM Universe :guffaw:

I am hoping Wonder Woman will change things, and looking very forward to that one.

2. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

"Unofficial" is not the same as "fake."

If somebody leaks an early version of a book cover on-line, before it's "officially" released or in its final form, a publisher might well denounce it as "unofficial."

Doesn't mean the final cover won't look something like it, if and when the time comes.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I was raised with the idea that if you have a question about a word, you immediately consult the dictionary:

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/official?s=t
    Nowhere in there is "official" defined as synonymous with "real." In this case, clearly, the applicable meanings are #3 and #6 -- the trailer was not issued authoritatively or formally, and was not yet intended for the notice of the public.

Markonian likes this.
  4. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Exactly. As far as I know, nobody has denounced it as a "hoax" or "fake."

As far as the "reaction videos," I find them annoying because they can clutter up the search engines and make it harder to find the actual trailer.

If I go on YouTube, I want to see the actual "SPACE VIXENS" trailer, not a half-dozen videos of people reacting to the trailer.

Tosk and Markonian like this.
  5. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, while I don't just watch any reactions, I enjoy watching youtubers I follow react to trailers. But, for them its all side videos done every once in awhile, not their main content. I don't understand the appeal of youtube channels that are just reactions.

6. EnderAKH

EnderAKH Commodore Premium Member

I started noticing them at the time of the Red Wedding in Game of Thrones. And I have to admit, some of those were pretty great.

7. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Unfortunately, nowadays the label "fake" has been misused a lot.

jbny67 and Morpheus 02 like this.
  8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

9. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

It looks like they're trying to do Man of Steel's amazing Krypton scenes on a miniscule budget. It doesn't look all bad but it suffers badly in comparison.

Perhaps they'd have been better off with a new setting, a Krypton re-re-reimagined within their budget.

10. Christopher

Well, David Goyer's behind this, and he was involved with Man of Steel. It's apparently meant to be a prequel to the DCEU Superman movies. I guess any differences in the elaborateness of the setting could be attributed to the different eras, though it's only a couple of generations' difference.

Besides, who knows? Maybe the reason the trailer was unofficial was because they haven't finished all the digital effects yet.

11. captainkirk

captainkirk Commodore Commodore

Kind of the equivalent of the Discovery ship reveal video?

12. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

The trailer may not have been official but it's absolutely real, containing real footage of the show and featuring narration by the real actor written by people working with the show.

13. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

The night of the Red Wedding was a great time to be on the internet, particularly if you were already familiar with the books.

Nerys Myk likes this.
  14. Taylirious

Taylirious Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

At the beginning! :beer: :bolian:

Looks epic!

15. Commander Richard

Commander Richard Yo! Man! Premium Member

If you want to see the trailer, it'll take you exactly 2 seconds to find it.

16. Hugo Rune

Hugo Rune Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah I just need to look at the post above yours.

Money spent! The FX footage in that looked better than most modern SF features.

Plus the brilliant Ian McElhinney? Goyer is still a shaky commodity for me, but all hope is not yet lost

Hugo - there for the pilot at least

17. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Or not. I tried both youtube and just a general Yahoo search and couldn't find anybody that still had it up. I did find a Den of Geek analysis with pictures, and it does sound interesting. I love the fact that Syfy is finally giving us epic, big budget Sci-Fi and Fantasy again.

18. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not exactly...Warner Brothers has done a pretty good job of shutting down those videos...even ones posted 1 day ago... they have 10-12 views, but then we see the copyright violation.

So clearly "real", but not meant to be released yet. So it seems like Caprica... going back enough to NOT have Jor-El full force, I guess (focusing on the grandpa)...but evidently late enough that he has left a message for his grandson? Or was that just a way to connect it to Superman without seeing Kal-El?

19. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

The series is set 200 years before Krypton's destruction, so Seg-El is likely leaving a message assuming that he'll have children who will in turn have children, with said message being a personal history and a history of their family.

20. Christopher

Yeah, but how can he possibly know that Krypton will be destroyed in his grandson's generation? It's supposed to be Jor-El who discovers that -- and is disbelieved. I see the narration more as a figurative device than something that literally exists in-story -- like the Sunset Boulevard thing of a story being narrated in retrospect by a character who's already dead.