Kirk quote

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by Captain McBain, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Balrog

Balrog Commodore Commodore

I think you might be over-thinking this moment. Spock tried his entire life to suppress his human half. Yet it was Kirk who saw through that veneer to the heart his friend had. Kirk's eulogy did not speak just of Spock' final sacrifice (up to that point), but to the person Kirk always knew him to be, despite how much Spock attempted to run from it. It was a perfect Trek moment.

2. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The quote is "Of all the souls I've encountered in my travels, his was the most human"

In that statement there is clearly an indication of speaking as an explorer, a traveler to alien worlds. Spock is a being alien to him, & of all the beings alien to him that he's encountered in his travels, Spock's was the most human. In that context, it is not even arguable

I choose to look on his statement as waxing poetic about how Spock was a singularity in his life, an alien being who had become closer to him & more human to him than any in an entire galaxy of beings he'd encountered

It is precisely because he isn't Human that it is worth noting how human he actually was. That's the whole point. At least that's how I interpreted it, anyway

3. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Not only are you telling us how we as individuals think in order to satisfy your own premise ("of course you wouldn't") you're forgetting a comment made by Picard himself when Data was believed dead.

"He was a man, take him for all in all, I shall not look upon his like again." (Picard quoting Shakespeare in "The Most Toys")

How dare he refer to an android as a man!

But you've already declared you're tired of arguing with people who don't see things the same way as you do, so Picard's beliefs will continue to escape your perception of how things are.

4. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

I find it funny, so many have said "Picard would never make such a statement about Data", yet, I've just finished watching S1 and S2 of TNG, and Data has been called "The Most Human" or similar by Picard at least once, by Dr Pulaski Once, and I believe a third character (Perhaps Troi or Tasha?) also