Kirk Brothers & kid Klingon guards deleted scenes

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by SalvorHardin, Oct 13, 2009.

1. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Admiral

Filming in a soundstage you get complete control over the elements. When you film outside, the sun moves across the sky, clouds interrupt the natural light filling a shot, ambient noise will ruin takes, the general public stumble across your set, etc..

2. Yeoman Randi

Yeoman Randi Vice Admiral Admiral

^ To further expand on that, years ago i was an extra in a movie that was shooting on the beach....in OCTOBER. It was, like, 40 degrees, so we were all in sweats with bathing suits underneath. We had to wait and wait for the sun to come out, once it did, we had to strip, bury our sweats in the sand and then act like it was July. Shots that should have taken minutes turned into hours (sounds like ST2, "if we go by the book, hours=minutes etc)....

Like Theron says, a whole lot more control on a set than outdoors.

3. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    I suppose "Johnny" could be a nickname the elder Kirk brother got in school or something as a complete gag or riff. Something he might not have particularly liked but stuck with him, and since Jim in the changed timeline is more of a troublemaker and sarcastic wiseass maybe he decided to torture Sam with it.

4. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Here are the pic's in case youtube pulls down the OP's links. They come from the Main DVD documentary call "A new Vision' . I would post a link to the place to easily grab them but there may be Viacom laywers floating around. LOL

Kids used to shoot the Rura Penthe Scene:

[​IMG]

Shooting of the deleted scene with Kirk's OLDER BROTHER:

[​IMG]

5. cooleddie74

Keeping with Shatner having played both Sam and Jim Kirk on TOS, the actor playing "Johnny"/Sam in the movie could sorta pass for young Kirk as well. There are some passing resemblances so you could see young Jim looking sort of like that later in adolescence, then turning into Chris Pine.

6. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Commodore Commodore

After the scenes with Kirk's brother were dropped, they decided that the kid walking would be just a random kid and the dialogue was re-recorded. "Georgie" became "Johnny".

At least that's what I remember reading back then.

7. Dark Gilligan

Dark Gilligan Writer Fleet Captain

^^ You are correct, sir. All references to "Johnny" being Kirk's brother Sam were dropped, hence the after-the-fact name change. He's now just a random kid on the road.

8. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Until he returns as the villian in Trek XII !! Still bitter the youg Kirk did not give him a ride in his Uncles ancient Vette, he seek the ultimate..Changing his name from Johnny to Kaan..........

9. Dark Gilligan

Dark Gilligan Writer Fleet Captain

"Johhhhnnnn!!!!!!!"

10. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

I have also been an extra in a couple of movies (the guy the director grabs for a last minute reaction shot... you know, the one pointing with mouth agape). I was working on the films in another capacity anyway, so why not? I think being an extra was more work than my regular gig!:cardie: One was a slasher flick and the other was Oscar nominated (of course my bit was cut from that one... dammit!):(

11. cooleddie74

I think the next edition of the TREK movie on DVD and BluRay(the collector's one we ALL know is coming...:lol:)they should reloop/redub the name "Johnny" into "Georgie." Since the deleted scenes will reveal they're brothers and at last *some* peripheral TOS continuity even in the changed timeline should remain.

12. cooleddie74

The final showdown on a deserted Iowa highway...a'la DUEL or MAD MAX. :lol:

13. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

The 'Kirk Family' Edition!

14. cooleddie74

Comes complete with replica of a busted George Kirk condom and DNA blood tests demanded by Winona when she found out she was preggers the second time!

15. HortaVorta

HortaVorta Commodore Commodore

I liked George/Johnny's reference to the car belonging to their real father, not stepdad. It puts an interesting (and potentially more "Kirkian") spin on the joyride, in that from a certain point of view the car "should" have gone to George or Jim.

16. Yeoman Randi

And i would have paid THEM for letting me do it. It was undoubtedly one of the best days of my life! Happily, i made the final cut.... you can see me in mine as long as you don't blink! :lol:

You and i really are twins separated at birth you know! :)

17. Yeoman Randi

Me as well. I really wish they'd left that boy by the road as George.

18. T'Cal

T'Cal Commodore Commodore

John, you bloodsucker!!

19. cooleddie74

Well now they can just reloop and redub the name in future disc releases. If Lucas can change entire f/x sequences and scenes in his movies, J.J. can authorize a minor dialogue loop.

20. Biggshow

Biggshow Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

You're saving half the supply cost at least as well as labor and the post-production costs of adding the CG extensions. Much more economical.

As far as the barn goes, maybe they didn't have one nearby or in the appropriate style.