Spoilers 'Killing Eve' and 'Mission: Impossible' to influence 'Section 31' series

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by The Butter Phantom, May 9, 2019.

1. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

Re-watch DS9 and what Section 31 tried to do to the Founders. If they'd succeeded, and Odo hadn't cured them in "What We Leave Behind", Section 31 would've committed genocide. I think people are forgetting the types of things Section 31 has done when the Federation has faced an enemy they didn't think it could win against otherwise.

NewHeavensNewEarth likes this.
  2. captainkirk

captainkirk Commodore Commodore

DS9 Section 31 were the clear villains. If there was a series where Section 31 Georgiou was the villain and Burnham or someone else had to stop her I'd have no problem with it. But instead, they seem to think she's a kind and sympathetic character we just need to understand better. I don't get why the writers seem so clueless about their own character whom they write to be this evil.

Cake and Deledrius like this.
  3. Lord Garth

That's fair enough. I view her as a villain who's on the Federation's side because it mutually suits them. I think they should be a pitching Section 31 as the series about people who do the dirty work. It's how I'd do it. I'd be right upfront: This is the underbelly.

"Inquisiton" and "Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges" are among my favorite DS9 episodes. I love "Point of Light" too. So, for me, Section 31 would work as a series. For others, I've always said I understand if it doesn't.

Alan Roi and PiotrB like this.
  4. skip bittman

skip bittman Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

As if any of these hacks can get anywhere close to Phoebe Waller-Bridge. Hell, even the new showrunner can't hit those heights.

This doesn't bode well. Blegh.

But at least a weird one-season aberration would be a fun thing to have in the Trek discussion mix for future annoying forum arguments in decades to come!

Gingerbread Demon likes this.
  5. Alan Roi

Alan Roi Commodore Commodore

The extreme degree of evil some fans think utterly encapsulates is only in the mind of those fans. The rest of us see there is more to Georgiou because we allow ourselves to watch how she's being written and performed.

6. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

So, sounds like you're going to be hate watching this one too. CBS will be pleased. :)

ozzfloyd likes this.
  7. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

I imagine it will be something that I give a much shorter leash than Discovery.

8. Gingerbread Demon

Gingerbread Demon I love Star Trek Discovery Premium Member

I'll give it a go mainly because I'm a Michelle Yeoh fan. They really should add all the funny sound effects from all her fight movies to her role as Georgiou.

No I'm not at all being serious, but yes I am a fan.

9. Starflight

Starflight Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Mission: Impossible is one of the most frustrating shows of all time because the premise is insanely good, the writing is consistently clever, it occasionally produces episodes that are complete genius (The Seal, The Glass Cage, The Mercenaries) but is mainly unwatchable, hyper-boring crap. There's never really been another show like it as far as I can think of, so if talented writers want to take that format and put a sci-fi spin on it, I'm 100% on board. Despite all the horrifyingly immoral things they pull off, the IMF's tactics feel weirdly appropriate to Section 31 as a sort of grey-morals Starfleet organisation - never kill anyone, never endanger civilians, and generally only take missions with some kind of moral justification.

Unless they mean the films, in which case I guess we'll end up with... Michelle Yeoh being chased down a tunnel by an exploding helicopter. Space-helicopter.

Gingerbread Demon likes this.
  10. Cake

Cake Captain Captain

They already started to write her as an antihero at the end of season 1 and it was even more so in season 2. The way other characters interacted with her towards the end of the season is also a clear sign of it. For example the scene before Pike beamed back to the Enterprise before the last big fight. She is written like a sarcastic antihero who likes to quib around. Definitely not like a villain. The interviews of TPTB confirm this.

11. Lord Garth

I already called her an anti-hero before and still think that. See my comments in this thread. I'm trying to work with the other camp here. ;)

Last edited: May 14, 2019