Spoilers 'Killing Eve' and 'Mission: Impossible' to influence 'Section 31' series

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by The Butter Phantom, May 9, 2019.

1. The Butter Phantom

The Butter Phantom Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Posting this here after a confrontation with a moderator of the "Future of Trek" forum, who refuses to allow Discovery spoilers in Section 31-related threads:

“People locked in on Georgiou as being a wonderful oddity. She is wicked, devious, manipulative and yet somehow radiates this incredible heart. People love her,” says the showrunner. “We looked to shows like ‘Killing Eve,’ to franchises like ‘Mission: Impossible,’ things that were complicated on a plot level but also a character level. I think it’s fun for people to see a show with a protagonist who’s entirely unreliable. At the end of the day, she’s going to do the right thing, but in the exact wrong way.”​

https://www.latimes.com/entertainme...rek-franchise-expanding-2019040509-story.html

2. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

DaveyNY from Skin-Neck-Ta-Dee (Schenectady)
    That article covers the wide range of upcoming Trek projects.
    It's got to fit into the Future of Trek forum somewhere.
    (it certainly fits in every forum that includes discussions about CBSAA)

Also, thanks for posting that.
    :techman:

3. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

KILLING EVE is possibly my favorite new show. I approve this message. :)

4. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

I don't know about Killing Eve but I knew it would have a Mission: Impossible vibe.
    You should be able to post about the Section 31 Series since we know Georgiou will be in it. Just don't say what happens in DSC S2 or what the change will bring for DSC S3. If that's impossible, just put up a Spoiler Warning and specify what the spoilers are for in parenthesis in the thread title.

Example:
    'Killing Eve' and 'Mission: Impossible to influence 'Section 31' series (DSC S2 spoilers)

Last edited: May 9, 2019
  5. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

If you have an issue with a moderator's decision, please PM them to discuss it instead of mentioning it publicly in another forum. I don't know what "confrontation" you had, but while discussing the upcoming Section 31 show does fall under the purview of the Future of Trek section for now, the mods are right to ask you to avoid discussing uncoded Discovery S2 spoilers (the general rule of thumb is one year after the episode/movie airs), if that's what it was regarding.

6. The Butter Phantom

Said moderator seems like he or she can't be assed to reply to PMs, so that's that. And yes, it was this, and this coded spoilers thing isn't the case either. It's simply no spoilers allowed, so therefore, I find it stupid and insulting we can't even ask "when will the Section 31 show be set?" in a thread about Section 31. So why should I even post this in that forum?

7. The Butter Phantom

Not the case. Which is why I don't think it makes senses discussing the future of Star Trek in the 'Future of Trek' forum, because we can't discuss the present day of Trek. It's illogical and a waste of time even bothering.

The moderator also replied to an example I gave, saying that a hypothetical thread about Spider-Man: Far From Home would be banned from having Avengers: Endgame spoilers in it. You could only discuss the events of Infinity War. So basically, even talking about the character Spider-Man being in Spider-Man: Far From Home is a spoiler and banned, if this was a Marvel forum.

8. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

I don't have a problem with you posting the information on the Section 31 show here rather than in Future of Trek. My only issue is with you making a mod grievance from another forum public instead of dealing with it privately with the mod in question and giving them an appropriate (24 hours) time to respond since they're not online 24/7. Stop discussing your grievance here and just stick to talking about the show.

Kor and seigezunt like this.
  9. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

This is the first time I have ever heard anyone speak of MU Georgiou as radiating "heart".

I didn't even know she had one.

That said, I'm waiting for an explanation as to how she got back to the 23rd century. I hope they don't just handwave it away.

Last edited: May 9, 2019
    Cake, Jinn and Deledrius like this.
  10. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

Cool. I love Mission: Impossible and I just watched the Killing Eve pilot 2 days ago and I really liked that.

11. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

Sounds dreadful. I’ll give it a shot, but not seeing it as something up my alley.

Cake, Jinn and Soong-type Android like this.
  12. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

I know some people here disagree, but I truly think there's a disconnect between how much the producers think their audience cares about Georgiou and how they actually feel about her. I know I certainly don't “love” her and think she “radiates incredible heart”. :confused:

Cake, Jinn, Deledrius and 2 others like this.
  13. dinzy

dinzy Captain Captain

Drinking Jippers on a beach somewhere in MD
    He has a point though. The rules were thought up when there were not multiple interdependent Trek projects going on at the same time. Perhaps there is now a better way. This forum also doesn't make sense as it is attached to an era and half of it is focused on speculation for S3 which will be 930 years in the future. The fact that this thread moved here suggests there should be a CBSAA forum with a thread for each active show along with a speculation,i.e. Future of CBSAA thread in that subforum that has a more logical spoiler policy. It is nonoptimal for mods and users alike.

Don't get me wrong, spoiler policy is important. I hate being spoiled on facebook where people think it is fun to react to shows and movies in near real time. But for this show, we will not have any idea what time it is set in until we see what happens in S3 of Discovery. Does that mean we cannot discuss any aspects of the S31 show in the S31 forum until 1 year after S3 airs which may be a few months after S1 of S31 airs because it will spoil aspects of S3?

Personally I am kind of pissed that they both announced this show as S31 and sent Georgiou to the future with Disco. Now we know that it is highly likely that either Georgiou or the whole crew will come back to a past time period sometime in S3. Yes there is a small chance she integrates into the future s31, but my point is that the announcement created a semi spoiler for s3. They could have just called it a Georgiou spin off and let out more details when they were ready to show something.

Tim Thomason likes this.
  14. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

Georgiou is a terrible character in both conception and execution. It's obvious there was zero thought initially put into her beyond the revelation that the MU Emperor would be Burnham's old mentor. Yeoh makes it work because she's Michelle Yeoh. But this recent attempt to turn her into the compelling anti-hero that was popular a few years ago is ridiculous. She's not Dexter or Wally White. She's fucking Hitler.

It's also really out of touch. The era of the antihero is kinda over.

Cake, Deledrius, Gepard and 2 others like this.
  15. Sakonna

Sakonna Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Do we actually know that, though? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the source for thinking the Section 31 show takes place in the 23rd Century are the following quotes from Kurtzman in January:

...which at the time was interpreted to be Kurtzman telling us what the arc of the Section 31 series would eventually be. But he doesn't actually say he's talking about the spin-off, he just says he's talking about a Section 31 story they're going to do.

Which they have now done, in season 2 of Discovery. Section 31 as it existed was all-but-completely destroyed, nearly every Section 31 operative was killed, and everyone knows Section 31's spycraft-gone-amok was almost responsible for the death of (say it with me one more time!) all sentient life in the universe. And the final story beat was Tyler being tasked with a "radical overhaul" of the organization. I need no more explanation than that to understand how Disco S31 becomes DS9 S31.

I'm guessing Disco Season 3 is some version of them trying to reform the Federation in a dystopic future. If it is that, Georgiou could easily spin-off into "Section 31 In The 33rd Century", that's her assignment in the recreate-the-Federation project.

I love that "wicked, devious, manipulative and yet somehow radiates this incredible heart" descriptor as a goal for the character. If they said that's what they were working towards, I would be excited about that as a direction.

It's not remotely what has been presented on screen thus far. If they think that's where they already are with this character, I find that worrisome. I would say we're at: "just barely beginning to show the first flickering indications that she MAY have SOME capacity to develop a heart."

Which is actually a better place to be, for the dramatic potential of the spin-off -- if she's developing a heart, that's a great series arc. Which they'll totally miss if they mistakenly think they've done it already. But I tend to love any version of "evil character dedicates themselves to doing good for whatever reason, even though their evil was so great the slate can never be wiped clean, no matter how much good they do."

I'm not so into "there's no genocide that can't be forgiven, as long as you have a way with witty one-liners."

Last edited: May 10, 2019
    Jadeb likes this.
  16. The Butter Phantom

I've presumed they have data from various sources that supports the creation of the show. Otherwise they wouldn't be spending $150M+ on said show, if there was no audience.

17. The Butter Phantom

I reckon Section 31 in the 32nd/33rd Century would also time-travel when required, which opens up possibilities for when the show is set.

18. Paul Weaver

Paul Weaver Vice Admiral Premium Member

Disapointing ending from what I remember

19. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

The show's in progress. Season two of Killing Eve is airing now (in the States anyway). It hasn't ended.

I thought the most recent episode was outstanding, by the way.

20. The Butter Phantom

It wasn't meant to be an ending as such. Season 2 picks up immediately after the Season 1 finale.