Just one episode...

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Worf'sParmach, Jul 4, 2018.

1. Worf'sParmach

Worf'sParmach Commander Red Shirt

If you had to choose one episode to show someone and sell them on DS9, which would it be? Particularly a TOS/TNG fan?

2. The Mariah Has Awoken

The Mariah Has Awoken Admiral Admiral

I'm not sure if one episode could win over a TOS/TNG fan. Maybe Homefront/Paradise Lost? A mix of TNG idealism and war themes?

3. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Though it is dark, Necessary Evil. It is on of the few origin stories is the series. It reveals a lot about the politics of Ds9 as well as its ideas. Excellent acting and a fair amount of humor.

Armus and DS9forever like this.
  4. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

Trials and Tribble-ations for the TOS fan.

Galileo7 and Terok Nor like this.
  5. at Quark's

at Quark's Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If you'd asked for a scene, I would have shown a TNG fan the "Q: You hit me! Picard never hit me!" one ;)

But an entire episode, that's harder. Depends on the type of fan, too. Not everyone could be 'sold' on the same points.

Perhaps Duet. Season 1 ep that doesn't really require more background than that the Bajorans have been brutally oppressed by fascist Cardassians, which someone could know from TNG, while still giving a decent feel for the kind of themes that are so prevalent in DS9 as a series.

phantomeagle and Armus like this.
  6. Terok Nor

Terok Nor Commodore Commodore

Trials and Tribbleations for TOS fans.

The Way Of The Warrior for TNG fans.

Worf'sParmach and Galileo7 like this.
  7. The Mariah Has Awoken

The Mariah Has Awoken Admiral Admiral

I don't think I agree that the most likely episode to win somebody over is just the one with references to their favorite series.

I guess it depends what their TV fan personality is, whether they're the kind that revels in crossovers and in-references, or the kind that doesn't care about advertising gimmicks and just needs to get attached to the characters and storytelling.

8. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Perhaps, although it could be said that WOTW situates fans of TNG by having them experience the events of DS9 through the eyes of a familiar character.