Contest: ENTER June 2021 Art Challenge - Vacationing on the Final Frontier

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Starscape, Jun 5, 2021.

1. Starscape

Starscape Commodore Fan Art Challenge Winner

I'm guessing not many of us will be lucky enough to have a far-flung vacation this year. But summer is here (for some of us, anyway) and there are no restrictions in the Final Frontier.

So, your challenge this month is to create an entry on the theme of Vacations in the Star Trek Universe. Imagine where your favourite character might go for a break, show a postcard sent from an exotic off-world location, a brochure for a fabled tourist destination like the Firefalls on Romulus, or design the latest in Federation Starcruise liners. Think fun, think luxury... well, unless you're Klingon, of course. ;)

Here are the rules (from the Art Challenge Guidelines):
    • the artwork you submit should be created during the month of the challenge
    • only one final image can be submitted (although it may contain multiple views)
    • your final entry should be posted in this thread (although dedicated WIP threads are appreciated)

The Deadline for finished entries is the end of the 30 June. (But feel free to ask for extra time if you need it)

Have Fun! :bolian:

Michael and Cyfa like this.
  2. Cyfa

Cyfa Commodore Commodore

Ah, excellent choice! For those not able or unwilling to go on holiday this year, a vicarious vacation can be had here :bolian:
    I'd better get my thinking cap on...

Starscape and Finn like this.
  3. Atolm

Atolm Commodore Commodore

Damnit!...And I already did that Romulan pleasure craft scene...lol.
    BTW, congratulations again, on your win brother!

Starscape likes this.
  4. Starscape

So, only a couple of days left in the month, how is everyone doing with the challenge?

I've had a lot on my mind the last few weeks but, hopefully, I'll manage to put an entry together in time. If anyone needs an extra day or two I can extend the deadline, just let me know. :techman:

5. Cyfa

Cyfa Commodore Commodore

I should get my selection of DS9 cardboard cut-out crew finished tomorrow, but a sunny day to take them down on to the beach for their photo shoot isn't likely until August... Dratted British weather!

Last edited: Jun 29, 2021
  6. Cyfa

Cyfa Commodore Commodore

Here's my entry: DS9 Risa Revisited
    [​IMG]
    This time, Jadzia has managed to get Worf to lighten up and slip into those slinky gold trunks that he turned his nose up at in "Let He Who Is Without Sin", and Julian brought Garak. Other guests at the resort include a dashing Skorr, and three Bolians (last seen here. They're the only thing that wasn't created this month - I hope that's okay?)

publiusr, Orac, Starscape and 2 others like this.
  7. Starscape

Nicely done, as always, @Cyfa. I don't see any problem with reusing an element from old an entry as long as it's part of a new compostion. :)

Ahhhh, I'd forgotten that contest, I might've tried a different theme had I remembered. :alienblush:

Taking inspiration from Art Deco travel posters, my entry is an attempt at a Space-cruise liner:

[​IMG]

publiusr, Cyfa, tax1234 and 2 others like this.
  8. Cyfa

Cyfa Commodore Commodore

Oh, wow! Your liner is so cool! Such an unusual shape, but it makes sense in order to have so many cabins facing forward (and to the sides a little) for the best views. And is that a massive observation deck under the saucer at the top? Love the Art Deco look :bolian:

- Thanks, Starscape. I hummed and hahed about including those Bolians but did so in the end as I ran out of time to create another couple of guests.

- Well, that one was years ago, and I for one enjoy revisiting themes to see what else we can come up with :)

Starscape likes this.
  9. Starscape

Thanks, @Cyfa. :D

You're right about that big blue window - I was thinking of a large multistorey observation and recreation area, the equivalent of the open deck on today's cruise liners. The general shape is riffing off ocean-going ship, too.

I'll put the voting thread up in the morning. So, still time for someone to sneak in an entry. ;)

EDIT: The voting thread is now up, here: https://www.trekbbs.com/threads/jun...ing-on-the-final-frontier-please-vote.308403/

Last edited: Jul 2, 2021
    Cyfa likes this.