Jon Favreau to produce & write live action show

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by Booji, Mar 8, 2018.

1. Crewman6

Crewman6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No way! Heran forever! (Kera?)

2. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes, I did.

The show wouldn't have to delve into that, though. It could merely present her as an independent rogue who happens to have some abilities (and no lightsaber!) that she tries not to get caught using. I don't think we've ever seen that in live-action SW, so it could be a cool angle.​

I don't ask that you agree with me, but calling me a liar and making me repeat myself is just plain rude.

3. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

Its always possible that the people/characters still exist in the universe, but their connection to the story will be vastly different.
    This allows authors and writers the ability to mess around with the context of a character, without needing to come up with a completely new character. The character's characteristics and personality are already made, and how they interact with others is generally established. Its just a matter of putting them in a different situation with different characters than they would have interacted with in the EU.
    They've already done things like this with some of the Jedi in The Clone Wars and Thrawn in Rebels.

Gaith and fireproof78 like this.
  4. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

5. Crewman6

I didn't call you a liar, but your answer was unsatisfactory. In fact, you DIDN'T answer the question, which was, "what's the point of Mara Jade if she's JUST an independent rogue."

Conversation went:

You: What if Mara Jade was an independent rogue?

Me: What's the point of making Mara Jade an independent rogue?

You: I already answered that.

Me: No you didn't.

In fact, I was right. You didn't say "what the point" would be, which was my follow up question. Which you still haven't provided an adequate answer.

Stripping the character of her context in the story and just making her a rando is pointless. Beyond her relationship with Palpaptine and later Luke, she has nothing specific or interesting or unique about her.

Whereas, you COULD take Thrawn out of the Thrawn trilogy and plop him into Rebels, as they did, and he's still recognizably Thrawn.

Mara has barely a personality or point of view and NO unique abilities or insights we haven't seen from others.

So I repeat, WHAT'S THE POINT???

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
  6. valkyrie013

valkyrie013 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, Mara would have only been like 15 in Rebels started... So a love triangle with Hera would have been.. weird... Now Ezra..!
    There pretty close to age, Ezra born 19 bby, Mara 17bby .. , so that means she's.. 25ish in Mandalorian time frame.. and a smuggler. You could have her on, and instead of "Kill Luke" in her mind, it could be "Find Ezra" or "Kill Ezra" and they meet up with Sabine and Ashoka and find Ezra in the Unknown Regions with Thrawn as the big bad.. ( That would be killer!) and have a thing between her and Ezra, with maybe Ezra taking the "Crazy Jedi" from Zahn's novels in conection with Thrawn..
    They already said that they would explore the beginings of the First Order, so them going into the unknown regions, meeting the Chiss, meeting Thrawn, and Ezra, maybe having Thrawn as one of the first leaders of the First order, or maybe they fight the "Unknown Enemy" that lies beyond the unknown regions.. Plenty of Ideas :)

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
  7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, this was before I realized Hera/Kanan was definitely a thing.
    Yeah, if they were going to work her into the canon I think making her an Inquisitor would be the best way to make her backstory fit. I don't think it would really be that different, you'd just switch out Palpatine for Vader. Whether or not we kept her relationship with Luke would probably depend on the medium she appears in. If it's the books or comics it could potentially still happen, but if she's on TV it would probably have to go, since I doubt we'll ever get any significant appearances from the OT characters in the shows.

Booji and Gaith like this.
  8. valkyrie013

valkyrie013 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Guess it depends on the medium, if its Cg, then Mark could voice Luke. but if its live action, then they might recast? like they did with Solo?? I doubt it would happen.. OG characters "May" show up via holograms or something.. but doubt they'd show up in person. Though quite honestly.. we have now idea what they done for 30 years...
    Luke made an academy, Leia was in government and I guess married Han and had Ben.. but.. 30 years.. plenty of time.

9. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Well, she could show up in live action, with or without a relationship to Luke (romantic, platonic, professional or frienemy)
    Even if (for the sake of argument) they go full on and have her as Luke's wife up until the incident with Ben, Luke doens't have to be welded to her hip. She can just show up in a story without him. Even in the books it seemed as they they were apart more than they were together. That scenario is unlikely in the near future since it presupposes a live action project set closer to the ST than the OT, but still perfectly feasible in theory.

As for 'The Mandalorian'; it's only 5 years post RotJ IIRC so Mara would still probably be with Karrde and may not have even had the opportunity to encounter Luke at that point. So they needn't either address it one way or the other.
    She could also quite credibly show up in the 'Cassian & Kaytoo' show or even the 'Kenobi' show since she'd have been with the ISB and/or the Inquisitorious back then, and rebel spies & fugitive Jedi would have been very much in her wheelhouse.

Gaith likes this.
  10. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Exactly.
    Her relationship with Palpatine is, IMHO, the more interesting one to explore. I don't see the need to explore her relationship with Luke in this story for many reasons, the main one being Lucas' didn't envision Luke getting married.

Given the Mandalorian's concept of exploring the more wild space between the fall of the Empire and the Rise of the New Republic the idea of a character struggling to find their place outside of the Empire when they have worked so closely with their leadership would be absolutely fascinating. It could be as simple as the New Republic offering to recruit Force-sensitives, and Mara interpretating that as a hunting program. a la, the Inquisitors. So, he fights against the New Republic fearing that they are trying to kill her.
    Depends on how it is done. It could be pure fan service or it could be using her backstory as a framework for an interesting back story. All in execution.
    I personally would prefer her relationship with Luke be kept nearly nonexistent, but we'll see. As you state, it does depend on the medium. I think she could easily be a part of Palpatine's retinue of some kind. Or an Inquisitor just as easily.

11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

If they decide to have her already together with Luke or at least working with him by the time of The Mandalorian, I could see her showing up on a mission for Luke investigating Force sensatives. They could then have her either team up with, or come into conflict with, The Mandalorian and his team when it turns out they're all after the same person.

She could pop up on both shows, with The Mandalorian introducing her and her backstory, and then have Cassian and K2 run into a younger version of her still working as an Inquisitor.

12. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

My only objection to this, and the reason I suggesting swapping him for Vader is that the Palpatine we now know probably didn't have that close of a relationship, or even mentorship with *anyone* besides Vader.
    I mean a strong force sensitive, at least partially Sith trained and entrusted to act directly on the Emperor's behalf?

1) Palpatine would never trust such a person, only droids (hence the sentinel droids seen post Endor.) and/or individuals heavy cybernetic and/or mental conditioning (like the Red Guard or Death Troopers.) The latter of which would effectively make them useless for undercover missions, which are kinda central to Mara's background.

2) If Palpatine DID trust such a person, Vader would doubtless find out and said person would be dead in fairly short order. They'd be an explicit and intolerable threat to his position.
    Indeed I think this is precisely why Palpatine gave him the Inquisitors; to still be able to make use of them and not having to constantly worry about keeping them out of Vader's grasp. Also by making them his responsibility, Palpatine can sit back and watch to see if Vader attempts to train one as an apprentice (side note: possible way to bring back Starkiller?) Because with Palpatine, everything is always a test and/or a trap.

You don't even need to make it that complicated. it could be simple self-preservation that drives her towards the outer rim and wild space. I mean you gotta imagine that the New Republic would have a standing "dead or alive" bounty on any and all Inquisitors or ISB agents still in the field.
    Hell, there could even be some Mossad type of organisation out actively hunting Imperial war criminals and collaborators. Her identity may have been secret but with the Palace and it's databanks in enemy hands they still might be able to tie her to any number of missions she carried out.

Or they could just stick with the EU explanation: that her position was so secret that the only people they even knew she existed died over Endor, leaving her cut loose with nowhere to go.

Possible, but I don't see the need. It's early enough that they're unlikely to have met yet.
    Indeed, in the EU they only just met around this time and their relationship didn't get serious until about a decade later.
    Indeed. And depending where they place her age, she could show up on Tatooine on her first solo mission as an Inquisitor to chase down some obviously erroneous and over exaggerated rumours of a crazy wizard lurking around the Jundland Wastes.
    Actually, I kind of dig the idea that she'd have been around 8-10 at the time. The first generation of Inquisitors not poached from the Jedi's rejects and washouts, trained from infant-hood and ready to face her first trial by fire. I mean it's about the same age Jedi become Padawans, so why not?

13. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

If we're gonna bring in characters from the novels, I vote for Stacey, aka Pink Five. ;)

Crewman6 and fireproof78 like this.
  14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

That was a big part of the first Darth Vader comic series, him trying to eliminate rivals for his position with Palpatine.

Oh, I know, that was why I said if they decide to have her together with Luke. I could see them making those kinds of tweaks to the the timeline of their relationship if they bring her over. They could even add an extra little conflict for Mara and have her meet and star to fall for Luke while still working for the Empire.
    That could be kind of a fun way to tie all of the shows together.

15. Crewman6

These are bad ideas. This isn't "Rebels, Season 5." It's a totally new show with new characters and a new focus.

In fact, all of the recent suggestions in the thread about bringing EU characters into any of the live-action series are bad.

The new TV shows are not the dumping ground for (rightfully discarded) EU garbage.

16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, the same way Rebels was a totally new show with new characters and a new focus.......

17. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Except mine, right?

18. Crewman6

I mean, obviously....

Tosk likes this.
  19. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Hey look, I was the first the cheer when the EU was retired but I'd hardly call Mara Jade "EU garbage". I mean she was and still is by FAR the most popular EU character ever. So popular that Lucasfilm hired a model specifically to portray her in all official merchandise. So lets not throw her in the same pile as Waru and Abeloth, OK? ;)

fireproof78 likes this.
  20. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Is that counting ones that have since been canonized? 'Cause I'd argue maybe Thrawn was a more popular EU-er than Mara. But I'm not the biggest EU guy, so I dunno.

...Something to do with Brexit, I think.

Gaith and Crewman6 like this.