Joker Origin Story Announced

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Starbreaker, Aug 23, 2017.

1. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

I'm not remotely interested in a Joker origin movie, so I am biased against this one...but I always wonder why so many of them (movies of this ilk) choose to make their first official impression with such underwhelming imagery. A photo of Phoenix just looking like some dude? Um, okay.

2. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

The Joker comic back in the 1970s was going to reveal that Joker was really Leslie Thompkins' long lost son...

3. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

Looks pretty much as I expected? As in, not surprised with anything here. Taxi Driver inspired Joker movie set in the 80s with a hair style not far off removed from Ledger's Joker.

Probably because photos of Phoenix's new look surfaced online not so long ago.

4. dahj

dahj Vice Admiral Admiral

5. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Ah, the benchmarks of Avant-garde cinema. Cutting edge stuff.

Ovation likes this.
  6. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

As Kirk would say, “the giants”.

7. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

So if Bruce is a child in this still then by the time Batman comes around the Joker will be in his 50s or older?
    I know this is a standalone movie but I could see this working as an earlier Joker that Batman kills and the Joker from Suicide Squad is actually Jason Todd as people speculated.

8. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ The director of Suicide Squad has stated flat-out that the Joker from that film is not Jason Todd. Linky

9. crookeddy

crookeddy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The director can be replaced and everything can be retconned.

Saul likes this.
  10. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

11. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

This is going to be fun.

12. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

:rommie::guffaw:

It feels like I'm going to drown in the pretension. This is absolutely hilarious. The movie won't be 1/20th as hilarious I'm sure, but I can definitely no longer give Fant4stic shit, since that movie is basically Iron Man compared to this. I didn't know it was possible to do a worse DC movie then Batman v Superman. I knew that movies more boring then it were possible, if unlikely, but actually worse movies? DC always surprises me. Almost never in a good way, but it really is rarely boring to be a DC comics fan. Frequently painful, but never boring.

13. Booji

Booji Commodore Premium Member

The crazy lady that hangs out around 12th and Market in Philly does a much better job with the lipstick.

14. StarMan

StarMan Vice Admiral Admiral

You know I envy you. If I had your prescient abilities I'd never have to waste another second watching drek. To be able to determine the quality and entertainment value of a movie as it is being made, make an informed decision as to whether or not it's worth seeing and then being able to generously SHARE my insight with the world - potentially saving my fellow fans thousands of hours of screen watching time. You, sir, are a giant among unworthy plebs.

Have you considered starting a subscription site? You shouldn't be giving these invaluable nuggets of truth out for free, man.

15. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

Its mostly common sense, and not pretending like you need to experience something to dislike it. I know I don't want to, say, get an arm chopped off with an axe, but some people would argue that I must try it before I say anything bad about the experience.

16. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, i was not expecting him to look like a circus clown. This is basically an Elseworlds movie so I don't mind if it's very different from the traditional version.

17. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Catwoman? Supergirl 1984?

Turtletrekker likes this.
  18. crookeddy

crookeddy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I find Suicide Squad to be a worse movie than BvS - I actually like the BvS extended cut.

lurok likes this.
  19. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

It does seem to be a Taxi Driver type take on the Joker. So far it doesn't look like it has a traditional comic book influence.

I haven't really looked into how this movie came about but it feels like it came out of left field. I'm not super interested in the character but the movie fascinates me for being such an odd duck.

20. OCD Geek

OCD Geek Captain Captain

Martin Scorsese approached Warner Bros. about producing a Taxi Driver-esque '70s-set film about the Joker possibly starring Leonard DiCaprio.

DiCaprio wasn't interested. Scorsese said, "Never mind." Warner Bros. said, "Hold my beer."

Last edited: Sep 22, 2018