Jeri Ryan

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Ally, Sep 5, 2016.

1. Sophie74656

Sophie74656 Commodore Commodore

I don't know if Wang was willing to or not but I have heard Roxann Dawson say many times that she put in many hours following directors, sitting in with them durring editing, and a directing school they went to.

2. Ghislaine H. B. BRAEME

Ghislaine H. B. BRAEME Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

(Even if the thread is about Jeri Ryan, I'm going to answer to your comment, right?! ;))

But don't be fooled, it was quite important for him to the point of asking to Mulgrew, the cast leader, to intervene from Braga...., as she could do something... . :crazy: He ended to recognize that it was a stupid action from his part but well, he did it, making a fool of himself with his colleagues & producers! :rolleyes:

100% agree. Anyway, by his undisciplined behavior, he shot in the foot himself. Result: after the end of Voyager, his actor's career amounted to very few professional commitments then, he ended to quit acting to animate some ST conventions, where he is rather good, I have to admit it. :techman:

Seriously, if he was honest with himself a few moments, he would recognize to have been fortunate to have been commited at a relative young age, to a ST series which run 7 years and to have wasted his future in acting or even directing. However, he rather went out well there in keeping playing a role in ST universe. :)

3. stardream

stardream Commodore Commodore

Same thing with McNeil. It paid off for both of them. He's been trying to get her to direct an episode for his show and she's too busy. :) Even though I don't watch it I would tune in for that episode just to see both their names in the credits again. ;)

4. Sophie74656

I thought the exact thing. I was at a con in New York this past weekend and they were both there and I can't explain to you how happy it made me that their autograph tables were next to each other LOL

stardream likes this.
  5. locutus101

locutus101 Vice Admiral Rear Admiral

I think it's not possible that Kate Mulgrew hated Jeri Ryan . You can see the love in her eyes when she speaks of her.

6. In_Correct

In_Correct Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

If there was only a way to keep Kes. Because once Kes left there wasn't much of a medical staff except for certain episodes when Sock Bay was full of patients. The Doctor was only around sometimes with Tom Paris. And I don't think Seven should have became the new nurse. I am happy that she worked at Astrometrics but they still need a nurse so they really should have kept Kes. But the producers didn't because they do things like that all the time.

Lynx likes this.
  7. locutus101

Seven cured Neelix from death, but she did other things to atone for that later.

8. Thomas Eugene

Thomas Eugene Commodore Commodore

When Kate Mulgrew came over to Europe to take part in the Prague convention, she said that she only had one problem with Jeri Ryan: Ryan was always late. For everything practically. They had been waiting for her all the time.
    I think she also mentioned that apart from that she had had no problem with her at all.
    Mind you, this convention took place after Voyager had been finished for a few years. I guess it's difficult to say years later whether this was really the case or not.

9. locutus101

It's always difficult to tell with actors because they are trained liars. There's nothing pejorative about it, mind you. The same goes with lawyers, they'll always look convinced of the innocence of their clients, whether they believe it or not.

10. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't hate Seven, I just never understood what the fuss was all about. VOYAGER already had to gorgeous, young women in Roxann Dawson and Jennifer Lien. Besides which, Jeri Ryan's not all that. She's got big hooters and GORGEOUS hair (!!!) but after that, she's fairly ordinary. She can act, though, and on that level is at least as strong as Kate Mulgrew. It's not like she didn't offer anything to the show, because she did have talent. As for her latenesses, you KNOW women! They take so long deciding what they're going to wear, even if it's just to the corner drugstore ...

11. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

[​IMG]

Thomas Eugene and 2takesfrakes like this.
  12. OtherGene

OtherGene Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I thought I read somewhere that Mulgrew was (possibly justifiably) annoyed because the Star Trek show which she was the lead in appeared to be getting in a young pretty blond actress with a large chest in a cynical attempt to pull some of the ratings back? I think she admitted to treating Ryan quite badly on set not from any insecurity on her behalf as such but more from frustration that the producers of this Sci-fi shows' only solution to sliding ratings was tits. Basically.

Luckily Ryan was a great actress and easily subverted the blond bimbo stereotype she must have known would be thrown her way.

13. Sophie74656

I have heard Mulgrew say at conventions that she didn't like that the character, at least how she was dressed, was obviously for sex appeal. She didn't think the show needed that. But she has always had nothing but wonderful things to say about Ryan every time I have seen her myself and in all the videos I have seen.

14. stardream

This. Ryan was a victim of misdirected anger. It was the producers Janeway was really angry at and Ryan just happened to be there. Mulgrew eventually recognized her behavior for what it was and apologized. It's something a lot of people have done...or have had done to them.

15. KelisThePoet

KelisThePoet Commander Red Shirt

I don't see it as lying so much as being polite and respectful. I started attending some Star Trek conventions a few years back, and one of the things I've enjoyed about them is that the guests treat both the fans and the other creative people with respect. I saw a panel with Ronald D. Moore where the moderator was basically begging him to say something negative about Insurrection and Nemesis and Moore just kept deflecting, saying he wasn't going to criticize movies that he hadn't had a part in making. Gates McFadden has been circumspect in both the panels I've seen about who and what caused her one-year absence from The Next Generation. And a fan in a Mulgrew panel asked her about the Jeri Ryan controversy, and she basically deflected.

It's smart. They wouldn't want other people sniping at them in a convention or to a reporter or something. And there's nothing dishonest about showing a bit of discretion, because in order to be honest, you don't have to repeat every mean thought that flits through your head or recount every unwise thing that you and/or others ever did.

"A lie?" "An omission."

16. Thomas Eugene

Thomas Eugene Commodore Commodore

Which, to me, suggests that if she did admit in front of the public that Ryan had always been late, her being late must have reached astronomical proportions ...

17. locutus101

That makes sens since Seven worked in astrometrics.

Thomas Eugene likes this.
  18. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

...............Please tell me that was a very poor excuse of a joke, and not an actual generalization of a gender?

19. stardream

I seem to remember an interview where Ryan said she was always late because she was off being sick at the thought of having to work with Mulgrew.
    Ryan was a golden girl. Talented, beautiful and Mulgrew was probably the first person not to act awed in her presence. I am NOT saying that Ryan was narcissistic anything like that, it simply might well have been something she had never been up against before.

She was late, Mulgrew complained, Mulgrew acted dismissive around her, made Ryan sick, she was late....It was a bit of a vicious circle.

20. Sophie74656

If this is true then it does seem somewhat unprofessional. Not wanting to work with someone is not a reason to be late, no matter how you are treated. I had a coworker who made my life hell, but i was always on time and did my best at work

Thomas Eugene likes this.