Janeway and cooking...

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Gotham Central, Jul 17, 2012.

1. teya

teya Vice Admiral Admiral

Baking is much more precise & a good pastry chef/baker understand the chemistry involved.

Many on the savory side are baffled by that part.

Me, I love the geekiness of the science behind baking & jam making & the like. :-)

2. JanewayRulz!

JanewayRulz! Vice Admiral Admiral

I never looked at her inability to get the replicator to work properly as an indication that she was incompetent.

I always took it as a reminder that these wondrous things are mere machines, and mere machines break down.

I loved how even in the Captain's quarters, technology can fail, and that this particular hands on lady doesn't push a button and summon the maintenance guy to come and rescue her. No, she just pulls out her handy dandy hypospanner and takes it apart herself!

It's just another illustration of Scotty's line from "The Search for Spock".

The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the toilet.

3. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's a good point, actually. When the replicator breaks, your engineering crew are busy fixing the ship because you're tens of thousands of light years from home and no access to Starfleet, what do you do?

4. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Knowing how cranky Janeway gets without her coffee fix, engineering stops what they're working on and gets to fixing the replicators. :p