Jadzia or Ezri?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by apenpaap, May 10, 2009.

?

Jadzia or Ezri?

1. Jadzia

127 vote(s)
    57.0%
  2. Ezri

96 vote(s)
    43.0%
  1. Zeppster

Zeppster Commodore Commodore

How can anyone really like Ezri as a person? There's not a single redeeming thing in her character.

2. ares93

ares93 Commodore Commodore

it's very simple my friend. she's just so damn cute :techman:

3. Rush Limborg

Rush Limborg Vice Admiral Admiral

Your Honor, submitted for the approval of the Niners, Redeeming Things In The Character Of Ezri Dax:

1) Enthusiasm. There's a childlike energy and drive in her. Quark describes her as "full of life". I think that describes it nicely. :)

2) A nurturing spirit. She has a strong maternal instinct, if you will. Her personality is warm and caring--which is a great asset in her career as a counselor.

3) A playful sense of humor. She laughs easily, with an understated chuckle. Still, it's very different from Jadzia's humor. Jadzia tends to mock, making wry comments that leave little sacred. While Ezri does tease, it's with a sparkle in her eye, and it's never out of turn. Case in point: In "Field of Fire", she playfully calls Worf out on stalking her. Though she teases him about it, she's clearly grateful for his concern.

4) Innocent Idealism. I think Bashir said it best, describing her as "so young at heart". She also has a clear sense of integrity. She knows what she holds to be good, and is completly dighusted with, and contemptuous of, those who choose evil (such as Joran, or Weyoun). Still, she looks for the best in everything, and has an air of optimism about her--and is visibly crushed when that optimism is hurt by tragedy around her.

Just to name a few. I rest my case. :cool:

4. Damask

Damask Commander Red Shirt

I like Ezri quite abit but cutting through the Klingon crap and telling Worf the truth won her over for me.

5. flemm

flemm Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I can understand not liking the character, but nothing redeemable about her?

Are you a eunuch, man? Do you have a soul?!?!?! ;)

Please understand, I am just being facetious. I know you are not a eunuch, and that you have a soul, or at least no more or less of one than I ;)

6. Admiral Shran

Admiral Shran Admiral Admiral

There's been plenty of secondary or one-shot characters like that. I was thinking more of main characters. Kes and Ezri are the only ones I can think of that fit the bill. Maybe Hoshi on ENT, but she came after DS9.

We the jury find in favor of the defendant. :cool:

7. maneth

maneth Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Jadzia, but mainly because we didn't get to see very much of Ezri. If the changeover had happened, say, in the middle of season 4, I might feel differently.

8. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

You've successfully made your case, and I hereby rule in your favor.

Ezri was great. Case dismissed.

Next?

9. Rush Limborg

Submitted for your approval is a trio of photos of the lovely Miss deBoer, taken during a photoshoot in '04.

http://www.hubbardphotography.com/blog/2004/02/nicole-deboer/

(No, the mods didn't replace the "hotlink". I typed the address on purpose. I'm in too lazy of a mood to copy all three pics and post them....;))

Anyway--looking at these, I can just picture Ezri in Julian's James-Bond-type program. The last photo in particular has "air of mystery" all over it....:cool:

10. ares93

this thread isnt going to die with you around is it? :lol: amen to that brother!

i actually havent seen these pics until now. thanks!
    and you're right. fits perfectly into julian's spy program.
    as for approval. the above pics are all Johnny-approved :techman:

11. Rush Limborg

I can just imagine:

Ezri's chararacter: (in a soft, "Bond-girl" voice) My name is Esther Dacia. And you are...?

Agent Bashir: Name's Bashir. Julian Bashir.

Ezri's chararacter: Well, Mister Bashir...it would seem that we share the same agenda at present. Tell me...what service might I provide for you?

Agent Bashir: (looking her over) Well, I'm sure we can think of something.... :cool:

12. ares93

ah, if only Zero sum game would be written this way...:lol:

something i forgot last night:
    [​IMG]

13. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Neither were great, but the concept of Jadzia as a character was better than for Ezri.

14. Rush Limborg

^Funny...the PTB noted that, in hindsight, they'd have loved to have had Ezri's "reluctant host" concept from the beginning, because of all the story possiblities it offered for exploring Trill society and culture.

15. Damask

Damask Commander Red Shirt

Really? The only way I could see it working would to have had Ezri and Jadzia on the show at the same time? We get too see Jadzia as a true host, mostly at ease with Dax. We get to see Ezri the non-host.

When Jadzia dies, Dax is transferred to Ezri and then we see the change in her and her struggles.

Ezri needed Jadzia (or a Jadzia type person) in order to show the differences.

16. Rush Limborg

Personally--I...would've loved that. The more Ezri, the better.

17. Admiral Shran

Admiral Shran Admiral Admiral

Quoted For Truth! :techman:

18. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

The first time I watched DS9 I was kind of shocked at how immediately I was in love with Ezri. If you had told me, oh we are gonna kill a main character and replace her for the last season, and she is going to be silly and girly and unsure of herself I would have been rattled and ranted about how stupid this was. And yet here I was IN LOVE with her, she was one of my favorite Trek characters after only a few eps. And I loved that there was a lot of Ezri, I would have taken more Ezri.

19. Rush Limborg

Nicole deBoer injected her with a lot of feminine charisma, that's for sure. :)

20. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think Ezri was well written, well acted and believable in the role. I always found there was a blandness to Jadzia which didn't match with her Curzon channeling 9 lives lines. I liked her okay but I think a different actress might have brought a lot more to the role.