Jack Lord as Captain Kirk

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by TerragonSix, Oct 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

In my "personal canon" Jim West is an ancestor of Jim Kirk. Kirk's mom is Winona West.

2. Push The Button

Push The Button Commodore Commodore

It gets even weirder, IMDB lists his full name as James T West.

Which would make Artemus Gordon his Spock, I suppose.

3. Spock's Barber

Spock's Barber Commodore Commodore

Too bad. I would have like to seen Kirk and West in a fight. Kirk's legendary drop kick versus West's famous judo chops.

4. urbandefault

urbandefault Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

William Conrad would have been a massive Kirk. :guffaw:

5. Spock's Barber

I'm sending you a bottle of Saurian Brandy, vintage 2215, for that post. Cheers!

Valin likes this.
  6. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    He changed his last name to Lord from Ryan (or so I read many years ago, in a magazine).

7. Gassy Man

Gassy Man Commodore Commodore

Shatner's short-lived Barbary Coast was essentially a redux of The Wild Wild West, though he played more of the Ross Martin character.

Valin, ChallengerHK and mos6507 like this.
  8. Spock's Barber

Indeed. Some of the Hawaii 5-0 production crew nicknamed him "The Lord" because of his domineering nature.

9. Sir Rhosis

Sir Rhosis Commodore Commodore

Would that be a Cannon violation?

Valin likes this.
  10. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Seems jake to me.

11. VR518

VR518 Cadet Newbie

He changed his name from Ryan to Lord because Actor's Equity already had an actor named Jack Ryan registered. They could not have two actors with the same name, so Jack chose Lord because it was a family name and a short name. Lord was the last name of one of his grandparents or great-grandparents. He said this in a magazine article sometime in the seventies.

12. johnnybear

johnnybear Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah I never knew that he was such a hated figure on that show and that he picked on poor old Danno played by James McArthur! No wonder McArthur left the series some time later maybe it took a Falconetti type of actor like William Smith to keep Lord on his toes?
    JB

Spock's Barber likes this.
  13. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

I've always thought Robert Culp would've made a good Captain April/Winter/Pike/Kirk.

As for Lord as Kirk, pass. I don't think I would've been captivated with STAR TREK if it weren't for Shatner as Kirk.

14. CrazyMatt

CrazyMatt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

But I would have loved it when Kirk (Lord) turned to Nimoy and said, "Book 'em Spocko, murder one."

Actually, when I think of Jack Lord, I think of his great performance as Felix Leiter in "Dr. No." He was the best actor to play that recurring role throughout the Bond films, with only Bernie Casey coming close to matching Lord in "Never Say Never Again."

Timewalker likes this.
  15. hbquikcomjamesl

hbquikcomjamesl Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hmm. Somebody who wrote an early ST nonfiction book (David Gerrold, I think) was at one point employed as a typist for Hawaii Five-0, and had a very different opinion of the series.

Be that as it may, in 1957, long before McGarrett, a young Jack Lord starred in the movie that redefined the whole "museum orientation film" concept, and (with VistaVision from camera to release print, and a Bernard Herrmann score) set an impossibly high bar, Williamsburg: The Story of a Patriot. (When it was restored a few years ago, though, the new release prints were struck in 70mm anamorphic.)

16. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, after War Games 'Shoot first' wouldn't be Koenig's style. But there must have been a lot of unseen incidents proving that in between for Victor's comment to make sense.

17. johnnybear

Robert Culp was up for Commander Koenig in Space 1999 but put himself right out of the job after a meeting with Gerry Anderson in which he went on about what a fantastic actor he was and also did Gerry know what a superb director he was as well and he'd want script approval and he wanted this and that...
    JB

18. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, to be fair to Culp, he did write and direct several episodes of I SPY, earning an Emmy nomination for one of his scripts.

Culp wrote one of my favorite episodes, "The Loser," guest starring Eartha Kitt as a heroin addicted jazz signer. The episode doesn't even focus on Culp's own character, but rather focuses more on his co-star's character.

See here: http://www.hulu.com/watch/15465

So I can see Culp pitching how much he could do on the show beyond acting because that's what he did on his former show, I SPY.

And reading some of the behind-the-scenes stories, Martin Landau also fought for script approval and fought many of the scripts, especially in the second season.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
  19. johnnybear

Martin Landau wrote many scathing letters to Fred Freiberger about how he had destroyed the show in the second year and said he wouldn't put the effort in anymore because none was required any more!
    JB

Ryan Thomas Riddle likes this.
  20. johnnybear

Thanks for the link, Ryan but I'm in the UK and Hulu doesn't work here! ;)
    JB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.