Jack Crusher. 2nd Officer of the Enterprise-G

I think it's far more likely that the second officer is Mura. He should be a lieutenant commander now after everything the Titan-A/Enterprise-G bridge crew went through.
Yeah, I could see Jack briefly being left the conn in a pinch (like Chekov briefly was in Star Trek 2009), but unless there's a time jump and Jack has moved up the chain of command, Mura's currently the more obvious choice for second officer right now.

I personally think it would be far more interesting to have Jack be the renegade/rebel he is. Part of what annoys me about classic Trek is that Starfleet is presented as this godlike, pure, cultish organisation. Why does Jack need to be turned into another Picard? He didn't seem into Starfleet at all during the season.
Agreed. It's this rapid acceptance of Jack in to Starfleet and expecting him to just jump in with little to no experience inside the actual organization that makes the proposal of him as second officer deeply frustrating. He doesn't have the temperament to fit in to a highly structured organization, and chain of command type organization like Starfleet. And that should be valuable within the Federation, and working to support the Federation's efforts in different ways.

But, no. He's thrown in to Starfleet because that is the highest form of service to the Federation.
Jack Crusher = Gary Stu
Yup.

Earlier I suggested that Jack could join either the Enterprise's marine detachment or the medical staff. Now I've got it: BOTH.

Jack would be an excellent combat/field medic. Indeed, that's exactly what he's been DOING for most of his life. So I still think he should join the Ent-G's marine detachment, just the medical divison of it. (I'm sure the G's marine detachment does have its own medical staff.)

Last edited:
Assuming this show ever happens (and the chances are not good), there will be a time jump.

Thanks to the strikes, any potential unfilmed Trek series is still years away from happening.

Matalas mentioned he wants Seven, Raffi, Jack, Shaw and Sidney on this cast. We could likely get a new Tactical officer, Doctor, Comm officer, and Science officer as regular characters.

I like Mura. He's essentially a recurring background character.

I like Mura. He's essentially a recurring background character.

I'd be interested to know Mura's backstory. Like how, as a Bajoran, he came to have a human first name (Matthew). A war orphan from the occupation, maybe? Adopted by a human family?

If Legacy ever becomes a thing, I hope they get him back.

Last edited:
Some were wondering why they wanted Jack in the command chairs. Chris Monfette revealed on Popcast that they created that 'Captain's personal counsel' position as a smokescreen so they could plan a suitable position for him in Legacy. Likely in command.

Matalas may have actually already revealed Jack's future position;

Matalas: Imagine a story in which Seven has to make a call that could cost Raffi her life on a planet below… but it’s a call that would save the lives of countless others. Does Seven make the call? Does she step down and go try to save Raffi and transfer command to Jack in the meantime? The whole episode becomes a countdown. I kinda want to write that one right now

https://www.reddit.com/r/television.../?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

Jack is 2nd Officer of the Enterprise-G in Legacy? If it happens.

Frq0WY8XoAAMdUS.jpg:large

LOL, Jack was right. It is nepotism, because both of his parents are admiral.

Second contacts are very important.

Yes, I agree. I think 2nd contacts are actually more important than the first. Because it is a more actual diplomacy action than an incident where 2 aliens cross each other in space. With 2nd contacts, we brew more diplomatic deals. Like cultural exchange, trade, discussing about embassy for both parties, discussing about non aggression treaty, etc.

That's why I can't understand why Star Trek lower deck make 2nd contact as less prestigious missions than the 1st contact.

He was a lieutenant.

It's not, and I knew that the Kelvin Kirk would be used as an example. But, Kelvin Kirk had received Academy training, was a lieutenant by rank, placed in to the chain of command by a senior officer, and able to take command. And even so, it still smacked of nepotism, that even was acknowledged next film.

Jack is even more nepotism than that situation!

Nope. He seems the type to duck responsibility.

Its not nepotism anymore then Troi being in the third chair was. They aren't there because they are third in Command, they aren't, I mean normally some in Deanna's role would not be a bridge officer at all.

Its because they both have massive super powers that give their Captains an edge. On top of that you have side order of Nelix & Garek, Jack has major connections and contacts and such in the black markets and other shady or exotic places.

The only reason Jack would assume command if Raffi and Seven are gone, is because Syndey is busy piloting (she outranks him).

Its not nepotism anymore then Troi being in the third chair was. They aren't there because they are third in Command, they aren't, I mean normally some in Deanna's role would not be a bridge officer at all.

Its because they both have massive super powers that give their Captains an edge. On top of that you have side order of Nelix & Garek, Jack has major connections and contacts and such in the black markets and other shady or exotic places.

The only reason Jack would assume command if Raffi and Seven are gone, is because Syndey is busy piloting (she outranks him).
In the proposed OP Jack is stated to be second officer. The meaning is clear.

It's nepotism pure and simple. Jack may have connections but that doesn't make him a Starfleet officer.

He jumped right into the Captain's chair in the finale... and did earlier to 'try it out'

I found that obvious telegraphing that Matalas eventually wants Jack in command. The Reddit comments about Jack being 2nd weren't that surprising.

A time jump is inevitable if this show happens. With the upcoming strikes, no unfilmed Trek shows will happen anytime soon.

Lower Decks and Prodigy can still be made, animation writers are a seperate guild/union.

In the proposed OP Jack is stated to be second officer. The meaning is clear.

It's nepotism pure and simple. Jack may have connections but that doesn't make him a Starfleet officer.

He did go to Starfleet Academy, so yeah he is a Starfleet Officer.

And yeah it was quick, but its like how universities give credits for relevant life experiences. He has medical degree and years of exploring, humanitarian aid, ship maintance, self defense, shady contacts, etc..., that is alot of life experience credits giving him a leg up at Starfleet Academy.

Yeah, I could see Jack briefly being left the conn in a pinch (like Chekov briefly was in Star Trek 2009), but unless there's a time jump and Jack has moved up the chain of command, Mura's currently the more obvious choice for second officer right now.

We don't even know if Mura or Esmar will be apart of Star Trek Legacy or not, neither were major characters. I mean I didn't even realize Esmar was non binary until long after watching the final esipode.

They could bump them for Kestra or Alexandra (or maybe even his son or daughter) and other characters with more character development and/or deeper ties to major Star Trek Characters.

Back