Isn't it dumb to only have 1 Doctor on Voyager and NX-01 Enterprise?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Jayson1, Jun 17, 2017.

1. Voth commando1

Voth commando1 Commodore Commodore

In a sub-sub atomic universe with kittens
    Well see that was the issue it wasn't supposed to be a long term mission-just go and capture some Maquis, and recover Tuvok. Presumably Tuvok would have betrayed the Maquis when Janeway arrived and sabotaged the Val Jean or something.

So it wasn't like a 7 year mission of exploration just a go in capture and retrieved and go home mission.

Though I think it was implied Voyager would be doing more exploration afterwards the maiden voyage was a pretty simple and seemingly routine operation.

2. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I agree it wasnt a long-term but to me 2 weeks or a month doesn't strike me as long-term though I got to wonder how they could come up with any estimate for how long the mission would be. Tuvok I believe went missing and Starfleet only knew about it because he failed to report in. I think that was how it went. It they already knew were the go they wouldn't really need Paris along to help them find the Maquis.

I'm not sure if it was ever established what would happen to the ship afterwards and I wonder if KIm was even going to be the long term comm officer. Seems weird to give a ensign right out of the Academy that kind of job and also make him apart of the senior staff.

Jason

3. Voth commando1

Kim seems like he had the record and recommendations to get the assignment he did. Also I imagine he had a good academic record and probable expected a promotion within a few years of service.

Had Voyager remained in the AQ-I'd say Kim would have been promoted within 3 years.

WARLOCK1965 likes this.
  4. Prax

Prax Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

He got a pretty sweet job in Non Sequitur.

5. Jayson1

I never understood why he never could get a promotion on the show. It's not like a promotion would take away from his duties at operations. Other than a extra pip I don't know if it would have hurt or helped him at all while on Voyager but it would mean a great deal if they got back to the AQ and he was able ot take on more demanding assignments. Granted I think at some point he might have swtiched to command and start wearing red like Worf did, if he had a desire to someday become a captain.

Jason

6. Voth commando1

Well in the original timeline he did become captain of the USS Rhode Island at one point.

WARLOCK1965 likes this.
  7. WARLOCK1965

WARLOCK1965 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

First i
    First off let's remember that many areas of Voyager had gotten damages and some of the medical staff could have been injured and unable to help and after the caretaker worked on them , they could have died. Now for Starbuck doing training it was not due to deaths it was sickness of the pilots getting infected at Appollo's Batchelor party because some pilots didn't go through decamation after being on the rock were they found the enemy

8. WARLOCK1965

Kim may have became a senior officer due to the death or deaths of others that had his training because it was not told what kinds he had at the Academy training like Red Squadron had.

9. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

IIRC, he was assigned to the ship as a senior officer.

10. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

Nope. No "senior" ever mentioned in the context, nor "Chief" or anything of the sort. All we know of his originally intended status is the awkward exchange with the original Doctor on arrival:

If Kim really were the new department head, one would at the very least expect the CMO to say "THE new Operations Officer".

Beyond this, all we know is that Kim got to stand at the Ops console at the crucial hour. Would Janeway insist on having department heads at every position at that time? She, too, was expecting a milk run, so perhaps she felt it better to break in this new underling instead, meaning the Chief Operations Officer died in her bunk when Caretaker's wave hit.

Later on, after the ship takes the casualties, there are yellowshirted people with higher rank than Kim's (to wit, Lieutenant Ayala) at Ops on occasion. But that doesn't mean Kim wouldn't be the seniormost Ops Officer, or the Chief Operations Officer. Ayala could be from some other department, or then not trusted with Chiefdom due to his background (which would imply all Maquis ranks are automatically inferior to Starfleet ones, making all those pecking order instances between Tom and B'Elanna rather illogical).

Timo Saloniemi

WARLOCK1965 likes this.
  11. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

I figured the fact he had to report to the Captain upon coming aboard would imply he was a senior officer. Otherwise, wouldn't it only be necessary to report to his department head?
    What about in The Cloud when Tuvok lectured him on the decorum of being a senior officer?

12. Jayson1

The problem with him not being the senior operations officer and replacing someone who died in the pilot I feel like that is something that would have come up at some point in the show. Also I wonder why he would be chosen to replace a more seasoned officer if was on his first assignment. Seems more logical to me that they didn't feel the need to have a senior officer at op's for whatever reason much like they didn't have a counselor. I even kind of like the idea that Naomi WIldeman's dad was the senior op's officer but couldn't go because of some unknown emergency though that does get into fan fic territory.:) Still it would explain why he would still be said to be at DS9 because I never understood that line. Was he their to see his wife off or did he leave the ship at the last moment or not report in because of, said emergency.

Jason

13. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

There is zero doubt that Kim's a "senior officer" by status after the casualties. There is only minimal doubt that he'd be the head of Ops department after "Caretaker", too. It's just that from neither of these does it follow that we'd have to believe Janeway intended to have a raw Ensign as her Chief Operations Officer. Or even as a senior officer, whatever that's supposed to mean in the context.

I seriously doubt that. Who was the Chief Engineer of the ship before the deaths? Amusingly enough, there isn't a single reference to him or her in the entire show, not even in the past tense. Torres is never said to replace the Chief Engineer, say - she merely up and becomes the Chief Engineer, with the title referring exclusively to her and to the fact that she is holding the title, never to her predecessor. And Carey is bluntly said to be "next in line", again with zero mention of the deceased.

There's no reason to think Naomi's father was in any way employed by the starship. Instead, it seems Greskrendtregk (yes, I had to look that up, even though I can spell most versions of Spock's secret name by rote!) was working on DS9 and never intended to get aboard the ship. If anything, Samantha Wildman probably planned on getting off the ship right after this short mission of two or three weeks was over - if not for anything else, then for maternity leave and some family time with the baby, because those still appear to be a thing in Starfleet.

Timo Saloniemi

14. Paul Weaver

Paul Weaver Vice Admiral Premium Member

There is, in Caretaker Carey hails the bridge just after being pulled to the Delta Quadrant, but before they get transported to the Array

"Engineering to Bridge. We have some severe damage. The Chief's dead. Possibility of a warp core breach."

Then Janeway goes down to take charge.

15. JRTStarlight

JRTStarlight Captain Captain

That's what I recall. Then Carey was acting chief engineer. Then Torres assaults Carey and rather than going down for striking a superior officer (since they are in the Delta quadrant and can't lock her up for 75 years, and the whole Starfleet/Maquis thing), BS because of her superior skillA, she was made chief engineer.

16. Prax

Prax Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I guess SF is a talent oriented structure, and Voyager has an Amazonian hierarchy.

17. Sophie74656

Sophie74656 Commodore Commodore

Harry was for sure a member of the senior staff. In an early episode Neelix and Kes barge into a meeting and Janeway says it's a meeting for the senior staff. Kim is at that meeting, so he is a member of the senior staff

18. Paul Weaver

Paul Weaver Vice Admiral Premium Member

Yes, that was also in Parallex (with the Carey incident). Neelix claims he's the "Senior Talaxian" and Kes is the "Senior Ocampa". Janeway gets rid of them by giving Kes a cargo bay to play with dirt.

However was he a senior officer before much of the crew died in the caretaker's wave?

19. WARLOCK1965

Please remember that that the Enterprise- B had no medical staff on board and no tractor beams when it was call to rescue some ships with refugees on them. Plus the Enterprise -B lost Captain Kirk

Paul Weaver likes this.
  20. Jayson1