Isn't it dumb to only have 1 Doctor on Voyager and NX-01 Enterprise?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Jayson1, Jun 17, 2017.

1. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I got to admit I never understood this logic? The NX-01 didn't even have a nurse or EMH for the doctor to work with. I would say the crews were big enough that you would at least want a small staff to help take care of medical needs. Wouldn't need to be as big as you would see on the other shows but 1 is a comically unrealistic number.

Jason

WARLOCK1965 likes this.
  2. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

The crew sizes were (roughly, from quick Googling) 83 and 152, respectively, so...not that big. Never hurts to have a little backup, though.

WARLOCK1965 likes this.
  3. Laura Cynthia Chambers

Laura Cynthia Chambers Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

At least someone to hand them tools and such. I suppose anyone could fill in, in a pinch if trained in first aid. Kes and then Tom Paris were the Doctor's helpers.

4. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I got the impression there was more than one person in the Voyager medical staff and they just all died in the initial jolt.

5. Jayson1

That's possible. For years I have always sort of thought it was that one guy and the vulcan nurse. I have no idea why I never thought that their might be more doctors or nurses on other decks who were killed. Granted for all of them to due I think it would have to be something like they were all down in the mess hall celebrating one of their birthdays or something only to have a beam fall on them or a fire break out and kill everyone in the room.

Jason

6. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I never understood why the Doc couldn't summon a holographic army of nurses and surgeons when necessary. Or even multiples of himself operating from a single consciousness, since he's software.

The I remember the stacks of PADDs and remember how technologically illiterate the writers were.

7. Laura Cynthia Chambers

Laura Cynthia Chambers Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The only problem is although the nurse is pretty, she has The Doctor's personality subroutines! :guffaw:

8. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Well in the case of VOY, it's original mission was only supposed to last a couple of weeks or so. So they might not have had a full crew compliment for that mission. And they where operating close to Federation space.

Markonian likes this.
  9. Paul Weaver

Paul Weaver Vice Admiral Premium Member

Yes, medical staff didn't arrive u till Tuesday

Oh that was the B.

How many doctors do mid-sized Antarctic bases (c.100) have?

10. Smellincoffee

Smellincoffee Commodore Commodore

In any situation approaching real life, ENT would need another doctor or nurse for the other shifts. Phlox may not need much sleep, but it's not like he can work 24 hours a day. I'm sure he likes to do the 23rd century, Denobulan equivalent of vegging out in front of the TV with his potato chips and beer.

Enterprise1701, Amaris and Markonian like this.
  11. Refuge

Refuge Vice Admiral Admiral

That's correct the original Doctor died and the EMH was the back up.

12. Paul Weaver

Rothera is an Antarctic base with about 15-20 people on it for 6 months over winter, with any reduce very dangerous and difficult. It has 1 doctor and 0 nurses. I think there's only one doctor at Amundsen Scott too - population 45 overwinter. Pitcairn had 1 doctor for a population of 49 too.

I don't think voyagers complement of at least 2 medical crew for 153 for a short 3 week mission is terribly wrong, especially with an EMH.

13. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Like Macleod said, in Voyager's case the one doctor and (possibly) two nurses would have been enough for those few weeks, especially with the EMH as back up.

For the NX-01 however, it is really silly that no medical staff was ever mentioned.Atleast two nurses would have been needed, and probably a second doctor as well, because no one can be on call for 24 hours a day. I got the impression that in some scenes, we did see people helping in sickbay with medical/science blue uniforms, but no actual medical staff was ever mentioned I believe.

Enterprise1701 and KennyB like this.
  14. flandry84

flandry84 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Also the dearth of cross-trained personnel.
    No one except Paris seems to have taken even a field medic course in the academy.

Enterprise1701 and Markonian like this.
  15. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

IIRC in the Enterprise pilot they only had one doctor because they were in a rush to leave, but that doesn't explain why after that situation, more doctors were not brought in.

Tom Paris was super lucky in Caretaker, every single person who hated him in the crew died instantly.

16. Jayson1

I think they could have found the time to recruit some more doctors on "Enterprise." Archer did have time to go to ,the country I can't recall at the moment, to recruit Hoshi and Phlox was able to go. You could have taken every doctor and nurse in that operating room where we first meet Phlox while he is working on the Klingon.

Jason

17. Paul Weaver

Even if Archer didn't have time in broken bow (and with a quick 2 week trip not essential), they returned to earth in shockwave and should have been able to pick up more medical staff then

18. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

In Caretaker Voyager did have an actual medical officer and a nurse assigned to the ship, which with a crew of 150 or so is actually in line for the medical personnel on naval crews of approximate size. Take into account that the ship wasn't even fully staffed yet, was only expected to be out for a few weeks and had an EMH as well as potentially other personnel with field medic training, and they were reasonably prepared medically speaking. Even after they were stuck in the Delta Quadrant, there's an EMH on call 24/7, and Kes and Tom Paris served as his assistants/nurses/corpsman/whatever. In emergencies where sickbay was loaded up we do see other blueshirts doing work, implying there is someone else in the crew qualified to work as an emergency medic.

Similar situation on the NX-01, we do see others pitching in in sickbay during emergencies, though Phlox does seem to be the only medical staff on the ship, IIRC it was stated or at least implied that Crewman Cutler did shifts in sickbay. At the very least she was filling in as medic in the shore leave episode where Phlox was taking his required annual hibernation.

19. Voth commando1

Voth commando1 Commodore Commodore

In a sub-sub atomic universe with kittens
    Voyager lost most of its medical personnel when it was flung into the DQ. Only the EMH, Kes, Paris(part time), and occasionally others did medical work.

As for Archer's enterprise remember it was an experimental ship and that they probably couldn't afford a full medical staff. Phlox did have nurses IIRC.

20. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

That doesn't make sense. An experimental starship has greater need for a full medical staff, as there's greater chances of something going wrong. Hell, the ship's first mission was to transport an injured Klingon back to his home planet, that alone should have necessitated a full medical staff.