Is Toxic "Star Wars" Fandom Imploding?

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by Locutus of Bored, Jul 6, 2018.

?

Is Toxic "Star Wars" Fandom Imploding?

1. Yes

21.9%
  2. Definitely Yes

15.6%
  3. Deesa Boyos Maken Da Inna Boomba

28.1%
  4. It's a Trap!

34.4%
  1. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

2. jaime

jaime Vice Admiral Admiral

::deleted because can’t be bothered fighting::::

Refuge likes this.
  3. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Just like Yoda did, Luke learned from the best. (Minus the milk)

No, they were guerrilla fighters from the start. Leia just had some help from sympathizers within the government. Some outdated equipment passed along secretly, decommissioned ships etc.

4. Kibbin

Kibbin Commodore Commodore

Except Yoda didn't exist before that movie, he was invented for that role. Luke was a previous hero we had experience with. Same goes for Ben.

They were a little sketchy in the movie in terms of the relationship between the republic, rebellion and resistance. Going off what books/comics/etc people it's easy to see how both opinions could be held.

5. jaime

The first bit gets sketchy because of the existence of the prequels now. But it does lead to expectations, as you essentially say. To an all new audience, they are just old guy heroes dying for a cause. For us they are our heroes. For someone who started with the prequels, I should imagine Obi Wan and Yoda deaths may be difficult in some ways. Except, that’s not the way they were released.

6. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Technically that was Obi-Wan at the start too.

7. Kane_Steel

Kane_Steel Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Oh dear..

8. Jinn

Jinn Mistress of the Chaotic Energies Rear Admiral

:lol:I love the overdramatic thumbnail and title, although I'm not quite sure how Padmé giving birth fits into the larger picture of SJWs murdering two franchises, though.

Also, three minutes into the video and she says she likes Discovery :D I do appreciate that.

Okay, she claims that Rian Jonhons insulted Mark Hammil publicly. Is she implying that TLJ is an insult to Mark Hammil or did something occur between them that I wasn't aware of?

I'm an half hour in and all she talked about so far is how important ST and SW were in her life, that she didn't like Luke in TLJ and that she likes Discovery. When does the murdering part start, or was that just clickbait?

Awesome Possum likes this.
  9. jaime

Didn’t watch it.
    But that’s St.Padme of the hair, holy mother to the twins that unite us, so say we all. The great prophet George did come from the far place announcing the Truth unto us all, then twenty years later he did reveal the special editions. May the force be with you. And also with you.

PhotoBoy likes this.
  10. Jinn

Jinn Mistress of the Chaotic Energies Rear Admiral

I can't blame you :D

The Apocalypse Twins?

May the force be with us. Every single one!

jaime likes this.
  11. Hela

Hela Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And yet, it’s kinda appropriate. In an unintended way.

After all, Anakin was also paranoid that some positive additions to Padmé’s life (and the world in general) were going to ‘kill’ the things he loved.

So he proceeded to

- abuse and kill the thing he was really just plan-old obsessed with
    - maimed and tortured those very ‘additions’ for daring to get in his way
    - killed and tormented all the people that tried to protect and encourage them into the world
    - basically devolved into just a general all round ass-wipe.
    No wonder Star Wars Girl is unhappy. Her subconscious is apparently screaming in her ear like a Klaxon.

Awesome Possum, Spot261 and Jinn like this.
  12. Spot261

Spot261 Vice Admiral Admiral

Youtube is chock full of those videos, I'm not going to risk giving any of them the extra clicks by posting links, but they all follow more or less the same narrative, Trek/SW has become infected by a liberal agenda and thus no longer appeals to me (despite it being really hard not to see political allegory in the versions we all grew up with).

They do, I suppose, at least have the tiny redeeming quality of being honest about their bigotry rather than attempting to frame it in terms of anything but to avoid having to face the reality of the author's motivation. There's nothing like honest self reflection to cleanse the soul :shrug:

One force all and all force one?

Jinn likes this.
  13. jaime

That’s a heck of a misreading of your own. He was afraid of losing Padme, like he lost his mother.

14. Hela

...how exactly is it a misread? As in ‘what part of my post did your statement actually ‘correct’?’

It’s always kinda funny how the loudest ‘true’ Star Wars fans don’t seem to actually like most of the foundations the series is built upon.

You’d think after supposably watching them a million times, they’d pick up that fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering. Not subtle, the core themes are.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
  15. Spot261

Anakin was an intelligent but insecure and emotionally immature man, which is unsurprisingly also seemingly the demographic most upset by the ST (and the PT come to mention it)

In many ways in fact he could very easily have been written as a parody of a major portion of the fanbase and their overly dramatic parting of ways with the franchise, precognition on GL's part of the future of SW?

16. Hela

There is a lot of shit in the PT that was responding to issues from the time in which it was made.

And George did always claim Christensen played it exactly as he was supposed to...

Spot261 likes this.
  17. Spot261

Maybe they should have had Padme refuse to go near him and have him rant about being an incel?

18. Hela

Well, he does essentially complain that all the Jedi are out to get him. Even though in the movie proper, the only one we see be even vaguely dickish to him is Mace.

Whereas even Anakin’s biggest defenders point out that the major issue with the Jedi, was more apathy or fatal ignorance. They didn’t hate Anakin, they were just blind to the warning signs that he was a time bomb. And the ones who did see it coming, had no idea how to healthily react.

That’s all pretty textbook for what we now recognise as ‘incels.’ I wouldn’t be surprised in the least of Lucas took some notes from school shooters.

Grendelsbayne likes this.
  19. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yes, I do think that.

20. jaime

Supposedly, you started at anger and hate, not his fear...he was afraid of Padme dying. It’s also circular, in that Anakin has fear because he has already experienced the suffering. *shrug*
    Now, find the part where I declare myself a true fan, or even particularly lay into the new films with all the popular arguments the nutters use.
    Be mindful of the present.

Edit: just to clarify, what positives in Padmes life and the world in general was he afraid of?

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018