Spoilers Is Picard season 2 a failure?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Picard' started by Ometiklan, Apr 26, 2022.

1. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

People change in 20 years.

And then you get the Trekkies who scream "canon violation!" and call it out of character:lol:

burningoil, Nyotarules, Sci and 2 others like this.
  2. Charles Phipps

Charles Phipps Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, that was awesome.

(PicardHitByTesla gives up in despair)

Jack Wolfe likes this.
  3. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yes.

No issues for me here.

4. Charles Phipps

You mean, why would the people who have a malfunctioning ship with a transporter that almost killed them, not take him to see a medical professional who can be trusted for their discretion until they can get him medicine from the future? Which they give him and heals him?

That's not even a real complaint!

Llywela, fireproof78 and Jack Wolfe like this.
  5. PicardHitbyTesla

PicardHitbyTesla Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Exactly

6. PicardHitbyTesla

Cuz he is a robot that makes her equipment explode and they don't tell her that he is a robot?

Jesus christ

7. PicardHitbyTesla

Can anyone help me here with these two?

Every insane plot development is just exploring past trauma

Is anyone here

Please help me

8. Charles Phipps

Then why would the med bay made for humans help?

Also, his golem body is supposed to be 99% human.

9. PicardHitbyTesla

Actually you are right go with the 2024 clinic instead of the stat ship.

They just didn't do that to force a coma to explore past family trauma

10. Rahul

Rahul Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

To give a short answer to a long rant:

Yes.

Long answer:
    No idea if it is objectively a failure. But for me personally it is. It's the only Star Trek show I ever intentionally stopped watching. I had my problems with DIS seasons 1 & 2. But I soldiered through them. And I just kind of forgot to pick it up afterwards again (though I still intend to watch seasons 3 & 4 some day... probably... maybe).
    On PIC I decided after ep 4 or 5 this is just not worth my time. It's the only time I ever stopped watching a sci-fi show in the middle of a season, while new episodes being aired. I just don't care.
    Maybe their trick for season 3 will bring me back. But I'm jaded. Best case is "giving it a chance". I'm not looking forward to it in any way or form.

11. Char Kais

Char Kais Commander Red Shirt

Charles Phipps and Mogh like this.
  12. fireproof78

"Piss off" is not "manipulating people to question their own sanity." Art is meant to provoke emotions.

13. Precious Tritium

Precious Tritium Commander Red Shirt

Based Chabon.

Charles Phipps and Sci like this.
  14. gweeps

gweeps Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Both the creator and the audience bring their emotions. To quote Oscar Wilde, all art is quite useless.

Charles Phipps and Sci like this.
  15. gweeps

Or, as Stephen King once wrote, it is the tale not he who tells it. Art, a nebulous term, conveys emotion. Whether the end result of the effort provokes any in someone else is besides the point. And it's a fine balance that must be sought when the desire for profit beyond kind words enters the picture.

Charles Phipps likes this.
  16. fireproof78

It is extremely useless.

And useful all at the same time. Art can connect us when nothing else could.

Charles Phipps and Jack Wolfe like this.
  17. Jack Wolfe

Jack Wolfe Commodore Commodore

“Fiction is the lie that tells the truth, after all.” ― Neil Gaiman

Charles Phipps and gweeps like this.
  18. gweeps

While accurate, I prefer Stephen King's "Fiction is the truth inside the lie."

19. cal888

cal888 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The Lower Decks board suggested three episodes to try and now I'm open to starting the whole series from the beginning. RLM didn't cover STLD(?) but other YouTubers did, then most coverage tapered off in the middle of the first season. Picard wise, I have the first season safely filed away on Blu-ray. One day I might take a look at it, but again with such specific negative coverage I'm not keen on tackling that one anytime soon.

I recently shelled out about $200 to buy up all the outstanding Star Trek relaunch books. Maybe after I read all of those I'll try those Picard novels. Gotta bookmark the thread to check out your reviews whenever that happens.

I spent 45 minutes writing a post about Michael Chabon, Variety, and alienating 1/3 to 1/2 of the audience to appeal to 8% of the population that are progressive activists, then the board ate my post. Well anyone interested, check out the Hidden Tribes report on political polarization.

FWIW, RLM didn't cover STD season 3. But other YouTubers just savaged that season. If I ever make it through rewatching season 2 I'll try and press on to season 3 and see if/when I get snagged on any of the points mentioned earlier.

FWIW, some of my favorite prestige dramas include The Shield, The Americans, Breaking Bad / Better Call Saul, Mad Men, Succession, and I finally got to both The Sopranos and The Wire during the pandemic. If you want to try something in Portuguese on HBO Max, Magnifica 70 is amazing. Dexter: New Blood was the best Dexter since season 4 but not exactly top shelf. By far my most favorite genre series of the last decade is 12 Monkeys (which features the work of not just Terry Matalas, but other Picard season 2 and 3 writers Christopher Monfette and Travis Fickett), followed by Counterpart, The Expanse, and of course The Orville (lol). Looking further back, I'm really into Stargate and the BSG reboot. Comedy wise I've really liked Community, Arrested Development, Party Down, The Office, Parks and Recreation, The Good Place, the first three seasons of Arrested Development... and on the animated side Rick & Morty and Archer. Other shot outs to Halt and Catch Fire, Mr Robot, Lucifer...

Hell, even season 2 and 3 of Fringe are great, and that had Abrams, Kurtzman, and Akiva Goldsman on the payroll.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2024
  20. JamesRye

JamesRye Captain Captain

Is Picard season 2 a failure?

Well, I gave up Discovery a few episodes into Season 4 - because it was terrible and I just couldn't watch it any more.

Picard, at least is watchable for me - and I will likely watch Season 3. But I don't really view it as Star Trek anymore. I mean, it's written in the title, but I just don't feel it. It's depressing to watch and makes little logical sense. The acting is pretty good though and I think the actors really carry the show, but man, the story and dialog is awful. I gotta say that John De Lancie is incredible in the show, even with the direlog (see what I did there) that he's given.

I hope your mileage will vary, but in my mind, I kind of wall this series off from the TNG TV show and even the movies.

I guess it's only really a faliure if the ratings (or whatever metric they use to measure audience participation these days) say so. The trailer for season 3, coming near the opening of season 2 was weird though, and I viewed it as a desperate bid to maintain audience interest - but then I'm biased - because I dont think the show is very good.

Why keep watching if you don't like it? C'mon, I love TNG and I just have to know where they're going with Picard. And like I say, its watchable, even if it makes as much sense as a chocolate teapot. I wish though, that the writing could be as good and the characters as consistent as in a show like, say, Better Call Saul. Modern Trek though, with the writers they have - it's like comparing the Mr Men books with Shakespeare.

Mogh and StarMan like this.