Insomnicac Games Spider-Man

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by JD, Oct 31, 2017.

1. matthunter

matthunter Vice Admiral Admiral

The game also really plays up Spidey's "wants to help everyone" nature - even in the fight with Shocker he's concerned as to why his opponent is acting oddly and offers to help sort his problems - and gives you a lot of stuff to do that isn't just kicking bad guys in the face. Spidey can find science research posts about the city set up by Norman Osborn's wife and which Harry has asked him to keep an eye on lest Norman pull their funding. Using these offers some (fairly simple) science puzzle games and then a trek through the city to find the source of whatever the station's sensors detected (so far, rising levels of lethal compound in pollution and a toxic gas leak).

And I want the Spider-Plushie!! It's one of the collectibles you can find in Peter's old backpacks left webbed around the city (a nod and wink to all the times he left his day clothes/school kit webbed up somewhere while he got his Spidey on in the comics) and it's adorable! Even Spidey thinks so, he just regrets he couldn't licence it without revealing his identity...

2. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

Is there a specific comic book this version of the character is based on?

3. matthunter

matthunter Vice Admiral Admiral

Not really. They've borrowed some character backgrounds from the more recent stories but set it when Peter is still only 8 years in (putting him early-20s instead of early 30s as presently in the comics). And the backstories have been tweaked a bit. Beyond the MJ as reporter stuff there's also the Otto changes.

Norman Osborn is the Mayor of New York (but still running Oscorp). I don't know if they will introduce the comic storyline regarding Spidey's cop friend Yuri Watanabe or leave her as is, since she's a pretty good pal. Aunt May is working at the FEAST homeless shelter run by Martin Li and he has a recent presence in the comics.

SPCTRE likes this.
  4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, it's it's own new version of the universe. It's basically handled the same way the movies and TV series handle things, it takes pretty much all of it's content from the comics, but with it's own takes on them.
    I'm about 20% through so far and I'm loving it. I'd say it's got the best story of any Spidey games I've played.

5. Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I got this as an early birthday present today and I love it! As the Arkham games made you feel like Batman, this game absolutely makes you feel like Spider-Man! I was concerned since Peter doesn't work at the Daily Bugle that J. Jonah Jameson wouldn't be in it... but my fears were quickly quashed!

6. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

7. Tosk

Tosk Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm about 70% of the way through the game right now and loving it so much. I wish it were possible (legally) for Insomniac to release the story material re-edited into a straight narrative. It would make for a really great animated movie or even miniseries. Without having finished, I already can't wait to play it again.

8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Anybody read the prequel novel? I'm curious which parts of the backstory it covers.
    Yeah, I love the Just the Facts with J. Jonah Jameson stuff, it is hilarious. The whole cast for the game is just perfect, they are all quickly becoming some of my favorite versions of the characters.

9. Tosk

Tosk Vice Admiral Admiral

Damn, just finished the story run of the game. Really great. Exciting climax, and emotional ending. :weep:

10. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I just did the fight with Electro and Vulture after the Raft breakout (usually I would spoiler code something like this, but since it's been in all the trailers and marketing, I guess it's not really a spoiler at this point), and it has pretty much solidified it's place not only as one of my favorite games, but also as one of my favorite Spidey adaptations.

11. thribs

thribs Commodore Fleet Captain

Gotta give them credit. Peter here has more balls here than his comic counterpart in letting Aunt May finally die. That character has been nothing but a hindrance since 2007.

12. thribs

thribs Commodore Fleet Captain

I have. It deals with the story on how Spider and his cop friend (which he meets for the first time) get enough evidence to arrest Fisk. It also handles how MJ gets a job at the Bugle and why her and Peter broke up. It also weirdly only gives subtle references into who Peter's boss is, making you think it's Curt Connors. I don't know if that's intentional or not.
    The start of the game is basically how the novel ends.