Indiana Jones 5. It's official.

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Kelthaz, Mar 15, 2016.

1. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

Release date has been pushed from July 29, 2022, almost a year back to 30 June, 2023.

2. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

A thought I had today: pop culture deaths of major heroes used to be either super rare, or immediately rescinded (Spock). Lately, though, it seems as though killing off a beloved protagonist is the screen's hottest trend, especially when the roles is heavily associated with a particular actor: Logan/Wolverine, Tony Stark/Iron Man and Xavier/Professor X, Oliver Queen/Green Arrow, all three of Han, Luke, and Leia, Eddie Furlong's John Connor... etc. (Kirk and Ripley were ahead of their time, then, weren't they?) Heck, even Isla Nublar got in on the act in Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom.

So, even though Harrison Ford has already killed off one of his legendary heroes, I have two thoughts about this:

1) If Nolan and Bale were making their third Bat-flick now, Bruce Wayne would absolutely actually have died in that explosion, rather than the nonsensical cop-out happy ending they went with (even while setting up a new caped crusader), and

2) Is there any chance the upcoming film Indiana Jones and the Death of Indiana Jones won't end with Indy shuffling off this mortal coil?! :rommie:

3. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yes.

4. M'rk son of Mogh

M'rk son of Mogh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There's a chance.

And I absolutely despise this trend. I want my heroes forever riding off into the sunset ready for their next adventure.

Captaindemotion likes this.
  5. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

I have always believed that Bruce did die at the climax of The Dark Knight Rises, and what Alfred saw what was Alfred wanted to see.

I guess it depends on whether or not the producers feel bound by the "old Indy" segments of The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles. As much as Lucasfilm has tried to bury them, there's still some cultural memory that Indiana Jones lived into his 90s.

Caretaker and shapeshifter like this.
  6. FreezeC77

FreezeC77 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Maybe Loki messes up the timeline :)

Hmm. Indy/MCU cross-over :D

7. fireproof78

They always do. Man in the Iron Mask doesn't diminish Three Musketeers.

8. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

You, me and quite a few other people think so. It was a very Nolanesque ending.

9. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh, how I wish the Chamberlain/Reed/Finlay/York quartet had made a Man in the Iron Mask film in the 90s. No, Return of the Musketeers is not fondly remembered, but it would have been awesome to see that cast carry on with the d'Artagnan Romances.

I'd also take the Sutherland/Sheen/Platt/O'Donnell quartet doing The Man in the Iron Mask now, maybe recasting Sheen. Get Jon Cryer. :)

Captaindemotion likes this.
  10. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

I wouldn't be surprised if Ford has voiced wanting to have Indy die off like he did with Han. But if I had to guess, Disney is probably far more guarded about it than they were with Han. But if he has to die, I'd actually prefer it being done off-screen. I honestly feel that on-screen deaths are overdone. Likely done to be bold, but I think there's something to be said about quiet off-screen deaths.

11. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

IIRC, Ford felt that Han should die in ROTJ because it would give the film “some bottom”, while he also felt that his eventual death in TFA gave gravitas and emotional weight. So I suppose it all depends whether he feels that IJ5 has sufficient weight and gravitas without the title character being sacrificed.

12. UssGlenn

UssGlenn Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Harrison Ford always liked playing Indy way more than Solo. He's said that Indy is him, and didn't want a recast, and he's never taken that stance with any of his other characters. He may have said killing Solo was supposed to give the film weight, but it really was because he didn't want to have to play him any more. If they do kill Indy, it won't be because Ford demanded it. As a matter of fact, there is a rumor that the only reason they are making Indy 5 with Ford at all is because that was part of his price for appearing as Solo again in TFA.

Allyn Gibson likes this.
  13. fireproof78

Indeed. Han Solo was to die back in Return of the Jedi, largely because Ford was so uninterested in continuing on in that role. Indiana Jones definitely has a much different feel with regards to his relationship with the character. I see him looking at a hand off to continue the adventure to a death scene like Han Solo.

14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I could definitely see them killing Indy at the end of the movie. He's definitely one character I wouldn't mind seeing go out in a heroic blaze of glory.

15. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, the other thing is, I'm not entirely sure it would really be his call. Because unlike SW where he was a supporting character, here he plays the lead.

16. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Indeed.

And Disney will absolutely recast and keep the franchise going regardless of his wishes, so he may want to go out in a big way.

We'll see...

17. Nightowl1701

Nightowl1701 Commodore Commodore

Well, whether this film turns out to be a win, lose, or draw, I'm very happy to eat my own words here. Production has successfully wrapped. :luvlove:

1987SpaceGuy and Captaindemotion like this.
  18. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I thought he wanted him to die in ESB not ROTJ? The carbonite was a compromise

Also, side note he stated in an interview that it wasn't his idea to kill off Han TFA.

19. Nightowl1701

Nightowl1701 Commodore Commodore

The living legend's final movie score, and we get a taste of it most of a year early. :adore::weep:

20. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

That's a gorgeous piece! I'm not the biggest fan of John Williams since he tends to lean heavily on the bombastic side, but I've always loved his softer pieces and this one is no exception.

Kind of crazy that we still don't have a trailer or even a title for this film yet. Yeah, it's not coming out for another nine months but still you'd think we would've gotten the title and a teaser at least.

Nightowl1701 and Morpheus 02 like this.