I'm re-watching/re-evaluating "Star Trek: Nemesis"

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by Lord Garth, Sep 8, 2019.

1. Smellmet

Smellmet Commodore Commodore

Yes the CG in this scene is starting to look a little ropey, but I still like the scene. I especially like the little expression on Picard's face when data offers to pilot the ship.

Damian likes this.
  2. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I really believe this film would have been received more warmly if the character bits were left intact. I don’t think it would have made much money either way, audiences were pretty apathetic toward Star Trek at that point. It’s not like it had a big box office weekend and then dropped. Not even the fans came out to see it. However, the word of mouth might have been better. And since it was going to be the last one anyway (although I’ve heard conflicting info about that), why not keep it for the fans? The public only really likes Star Trek when they do time travel…

I always enjoyed this film, but wish some of the stuff seen in the leaked script had been retained.

lurok and Shaka Zulu like this.
  3. Damian

Damian Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, me too. And I like Data's look after Picard's (sort of like sorry I asked)

I kind of like the reaction of the bridge crew after Picard calls Riker "Mr. Troi". The snickers were pretty authentic sounding and the sudden silence when Riker glares at them (and them pretending to be busy on something).

Smellmet likes this.
  4. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

Nor do I. And Cardassian design, for example, is based on the theme of '3', as shown in the designs for Terok Nor and Empok Nor, in architecture on Cardassia Prime, and in the design of Cardassian starships.

5. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

This kind of (IMHO) procedural bullshit in movies now is why (again, IMHO) we need this to come back to movies made in Hollywood and the other 'Wood's'.

First Contact's battle was against a Borg cube; this was against one super dreadnought which could've been defeated easily with a ton of Starfleet ships, plus two Romulan ones.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
    Smellmet likes this.
  6. Smellmet

I know, I did confirm I was being facetious in another post. I can see why the battle in Nemesis panned out they way it did - Shinzon waited until the Enterprise was in the (very conveniently placed) Bassen Rift before attacking, this was obviously a bean counter's decision to not have the fleet wade in.

7. Damian

Yeah, I read somewhere the original intent was to have a fleet of ships but they needed to cut costs.

In a way, I was kind of glad though. It helped focus the action more on the Enterprise and they still had a great battle scene there. The battle between the Enterprise and the Scimitar, dare I say, was one of the best of the entire film series in fact. You finally got to see the Enterprise fire everything in its arsenal, including little used phaser banks, and the visuals and sound effects were well done. And I really liked the collision scene. Even when the 2 Romulan ships join the fight was well done.

I liked Nemesis, but acknowledge its flaws. But for all that the space battle scene was one of the best of the films.

8. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

I liked that the battle seemed fairly isolated...the Enterprise had nowhere to go and nowhere to hide.

The Romulan involvement was pretty much in the noise.

Damian likes this.
  9. Damian

Yeah, and it kept the focus on Picard and Schinzon. We got some good fleet wide battles in DS9. The only problem would be is sometimes the action would get diluted with all the ships involved. But in that case it was war so it made sense to have lots of ships. If there was a fleetwide battle in Nemesis it would have taken attention away from the Enterprise. I think for Nemesis and it's story it worked better keeping it mostly to the Enterprise vs. the Scimitar.

Vger23 likes this.
  10. Smellmet

Yeah it all worked out in the end (except for the box office) that space battle is my joint favourite of the series with TWOK. It's excellent.

lurok and Damian like this.
  11. ichab

ichab Commodore Commodore

I liked this movie when it came out, but hardly anyone else did. It didn't even reach number one on its opening weekend(Maid in Manhattan took the top spot) and then it got crushed by LOTR the next week.

Looking back I think that even the trekkies were getting fatigued of the franchise by then. I went on opening day and the room was barely half full. Within two weeks it was gone from the theater completely. Many fan ripped into it like it was the worse thing ever. I'm glad that more people are watching it again with fresh eyes because it still is a good movie. The biggest mistake they made was hiring Stuart Baird to direct. He cut a lot of good character moments from Logan's script I wish they had been left in. Marina Sirtis later said that Baird was an idiot. Ouch.

Smellmet likes this.
  12. Smellmet

It's a shame because I absolutely loved 'Executive Decision' - a first rate action thriller even today, and 'US Marshals' was a surprisingly entertaining follow-up to it's classic predecessor.

13. Gingerbread Demon

Gingerbread Demon I love Star Trek Discovery Premium Member

I liked this film more then Insurrection after the 2nd viewing. For me one of the most badass scenes was Deanna using psychometry to find the ship with her hand moving on the navigation screen. That was badass.

Cyfa, KennyB and Prax like this.
  14. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

Nemesis is a better movie than Insurrection by several orders of magnitude.

Nemesis at least attempted to be epic and cinematic, and didn't feel like an episode. Insurrection attempted to be light and meaningless and as a result was les interesting than 3/4 of the episodes from the series it was based upon.

Smellmet, lurok and MrPicard like this.
  15. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    I definitely prefer NEM over INS. I agree with others the deleted scenes would really have helped flesh out character and story. There's even this scene which completely leads into Picard series

But you can imagine the studio exec notes; 'boring. Can you guys lose that mortality/wine scene?'

Maybe we need a Snyder/Picard cut of NEM :techman:

(though watching INS with Sirtis/Frakes commentary track makes that film so much more fun :D)

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
    Vger23 likes this.
  16. MrPicard

MrPicard Jean-Luc's Loving Husband Fleet Captain

I also prefer Nemesis over Insurrection, by a LARGE margin. Granted, Nemesis is still not a movie I truly like, but I do have a soft spot for it - for personal reasons related to Jean-Luc.

lurok and Vger23 like this.