I'm doing a rewatch of Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda.

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Gingerbread Demon, Nov 18, 2021.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

That's true of pretty much any interplanetary or interstellar propulsion system. See Niven's "The Warriors," for one.

publiusr likes this.
  2. Gingerbread Demon

Gingerbread Demon I love Star Trek Discovery Premium Member

I'll look that up

3. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Nuclear Salt Water Rockets are the ultimate flamethrowers.

ThetaSigma likes this.
  4. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

Gingerbread Demon--are you going to post thoughts on individual episodes?

5. Gingerbread Demon

No not really. There's a few episodes that I love such as the one with the Bellerophon but for the most part I really don't wish to post my thoughts on individual episodes, but feel free if there are ones you would like to talk about ask away. For me all the seasons felt different and unique, season 1 of course was the strongest. Each felt uniquely its own even though there was a thin story linking them all together with the Magog worldship and the Abyss but the latter I felt kind of goofy. I find it a bit odd that this hateful being that wanted to kill everything in the universe deep down had love. I felt that frankly was a bit juvenile of the writers as if they didn't know what to do with the Abyss, it felt pointless.

6. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'll settle for an explanation as to what exactly the hell the fifth season was supposed to be about.

I mean, I haven't been that confused since I last watched a David Lynch movie. :confused:

7. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Um..yeah, pretty easy. Focus on all the other characters, who have "better" actors.

I would say it's like Babylon 5 and The Outpost. the lead characters were the most bland of the cast. But the supporting cast was so good, that the leads' lack of skill didn't bother me.

That theme sounded truly alien, and should be a standard for sci-fi themes.

Oh, and i felt the end of season 4, they were getting back to what season 1 was about (in terms of how it "felt").

Then we had season 5.

8. Gingerbread Demon

I think someone here said it but season 5 is as close as you get to "christian scifi" and yeah I can see it, I skipped over season 5 this time and feel happy that I chose to do that.

OMG could you imagine Christian Star Trek, there would be no aliens at all it would just be BSG with more God

dupersuper likes this.
  9. Christopher

You want "Christian Star Trek," watch the closing scene of "Bread and Circuses."

There's always been science fiction with a Christian viewpoint, implicitly or explicitly -- especially in the mass media, when anything that wasn't consistent with Christian beliefs would've been too controversial and gotten censored. Look at, say, the climax of The War of the Worlds, where everyone huddles in a church as the Martians close in and their death due to Earth's microbes is essentially played as a miracle sent down by God.

10. Gingerbread Demon

Oh there's that one for sure but even Wells original story had the microbes being our saviours, though his writing style God was mentioned a lot more too.

I mean more implicitly and direct. I'd love to see a Star Trek kind of show with a full on christian theme just to see how they would do it. Would they even include aliens or leave that out altogether and make it totally human centric because all of creation belongs to man which is what some people I know with that faith seem to believe, they just can't reconcile God would create any other kind of intelligent life beyond humans.

11. Christopher

There's no one way to be Christian. Many great scientists have been devout believers and had no problem with the idea of aliens.

Religion is like fandom -- for some, it inspires them to broaden their minds and look for new possibilities, while others use it as an excuse to build walls and judge anyone who doesn't fit their own narrow definitions. And the people in the latter category always insist they're the only "true" believers/fans, yet they usually completely miss the point of the thing they claim exclusive ownership of.

12. Gingerbread Demon

Oh totally agree with you..... I'm half tempted to start writing again and do one of these. I sort of did that a while back but got bogged down with writers block and never finished the story I had started. I think next year once facebook is gone I shall.

13. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The more influence Sorbo got the worse it got.

Ragitsu likes this.
  14. Sketcher

Sketcher Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I remember way back in the day reading a chat transcript on Andromeda's official site during its 3rd season with one of the producers, where the concern of Andromeda following in the same downward spiral that plagued Earth: Final Conflict were brought up. Of course the producers were reassuring that that would not happen. I guess if you consider retaining most of your original cast as not following in the same trajectory as EFC that remained true, but personally I'd rather rewatch Earth Final Conflict than Andromeda.

15. dupersuper

dupersuper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I never found Boxleitner bland...

16. Christopher

By season 3, it was already happening. Bringing in Bob Engels as showrunner wasn't a downward spiral, it was an immediate plummet.