I'm building the entire Starship Enterprise interior at 1:25 scale

Dialogue from "Let That Be You Last Battlefield" can be interpreted as Recreation Room 3 spanning Deck 3 to Deck 5 for a very large Recreation Room :)

Yeah, its an interesting project, but his stated rejection of TAS--the most faithful continuation of all things TOS (including the 1701) leads me to lose interest in his project, and I'm not too fond of silly concepts such as a shuttle housed beneath the bridge.

Put it this way, FJ's 1975 blueprint of the bridge seems to take more inspiration from AMT's model kit than the 11-foot miniature--

GRsMbMZ.jpg
And this basic bridge module variation is canon in the sense that the AMT kit was used for the U.S.S. Constellation in "TDM" and FJ's plans for the U.S.S. Constitution were seen in ST:TMP.

I think FJ picked and chose what he thought worked best from all available sources, the small diameter nacelles on his shuttlecraft and the round landing pads on same, are likely influenced from the AMT version of that kit as well.

I'm prepared to believe that the original Enterprise had a holographic imaging room, like a very sophisticated three-dimensional virtual set – or a bit like a 360° version of Voyager's stellar cartography. But I find it difficult to believe that the holograms would be solid or interactive. Like – you could summon a hologram of Einstein, but it would have no physical substance, and while you could reply archived lectures and interviews of Einstein in glorious full-colour and 3D you wouldn't be able to talk to it like Barclay does in TNG: "The Nth Degree". I believe that holodecks as we see them in TNG and after are an entirely 24th century invention. The TNG Technical Manual indicates that they didn't exist before the 2330s ("in the last thirty years the starship holodeck has come into its own"), and it seems to be pretty strongly implied from the number of people amazed by the capabilities of them in TNG in particular that they're still relatively uncommon.

The description of the holo rec room as given in The Making of Star Trek describes a facility where one can get a form of holographic mail where they can see the person who sent the message. Or they can view a film in immersive 3D taking place, but all around you. It doesn’t come across as something you can physically interact with although perhaps you could talk with a holographic creation.

The description of the holo rec room as given in The Making of Star Trek describes a facility where one can get a form of holographic mail where they can see the person who sent the message. Or they can view a film in immersive 3D taking place, but all around you. It doesn’t come across as something you can physically interact with although perhaps you could talk with a holographic creation.

Ah, page 188 and 190 describe a large recreation area that simulates the outdoor plus the "entertainment center" that you are describing with the holographic projection. The text also describes entertainment movies that wrap around you. Feels like Season 4 tech :)

I think if you retcon a holodeck back into TOS then it can't help but undermine TOS. Like there have to have been episodes of TOS where if they'd had a holodeck they would have used it to solve the problem of the week.

I think if you retcon a holodeck back into TOS then it can't help but undermine TOS. Like there have to have been episodes of TOS where if they'd had a holodeck they would have used it to solve the problem of the week.

Given how few spaces aboard Enterprise were seen in the course of 79 episodes, I think besides a holo rec room, about 95% of the ship was never seen. So following this logic, why were those other spaces never needed?

Given how few spaces aboard Enterprise were seen in the course of 79 episodes, I think besides a holo rec room, about 95% of the ship was never seen. So following this logic, why were those other spaces never needed?
Those spaces wouldn't have had the superior technical abilities of a holodeck?

In a TNG era holodeck you included replicators...could actually get wet...TAS' version might have been a simpler version.

First off: Such as? They also had problems that could have been solved by a shuttlecraft. And they certainly had shuttlecraft. A computer system powerful enough to run a warp drive and a transporter should have been able to provide them with far more utility than we often saw in the show. But by definition they should have more advanced computers than we do now.

Second the "rec room" that we see will allow Sulu to go for a swim. And the Computer is able to fashion a pit covered with sticks and leaves that Sulu, Uhura, and McCoy fall into. It's shown as a big room but they take far longer to cross it in the snow storm than the size of the room that we were shown.

The writers might not have worked out WHY everything worked as it did (the TNG writers didn't always have a firm grip on it either) but it's a holodeck in everything but name.

Second the "rec room" that we see will allow Sulu to go for a swim. And the Computer is able to fashion a pit covered with sticks and leaves that Sulu, Uhura, and McCoy fall into. It's shown as a big room but they take far longer to cross it in the snow storm than the size of the room that we were shown.

The writers might not have worked out WHY everything worked as it did (the TNG writers didn't always have a firm grip on it either) but it's a holodeck in everything but name.

It's clear that "The Practical Joker" went for the full TNG holodeck, but if we're taking that episode at face value, I'd like to know where this room would fit inside the ship:
https://tas.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/blu-ray/203-BR/thepracticaljokerhd0162.jpg

I'm more inclined to take TAS cafeteria-style. You put what you like on your tray, and pass up what you don't.

I'm more inclined to take TAS cafeteria-style. You put what you like on your tray, and pass up what you don't.
I can't argue with that (as much as I'd like to). But I look at it this way: Just as there is no arguing that there IS a shuttledeck on the Enterprise you can say that it certainly was not the cavernous expanse that we saw in TAS.

You could dismiss the rec room as TAS weirdness except for the fact that it behaves in every respect like a run of the mill feature of later Star Trek. Including being life threatening.

I can't argue with that (as much as I'd like to). But I look at it this way: Just as there is no arguing that there IS a shuttledeck on the Enterprise you can say that it certainly was not the cavernous expanse that we saw in TAS.

You could dismiss the rec room as TAS weirdness except for the fact that it behaves in every respect like a run of the mill feature of later Star Trek. Including being life threatening.

If we have to swallow this thing, then the empty room shown in "The Practical Joker" is a projected illusion too, and the actual room is a fraction of that.

If we have to swallow this thing, then the empty room shown in "The Practical Joker" is a projected illusion too, and the actual room is a fraction of that.
That's actually kind of a cool design feature. It's the "desktop".

It's kind of like how Riker / Troi started as Decker / Ilia and Okudagram touchscreens actually started with The Voyage Home: There was a lot of TNG that was actually a lot older than the 24th century. Oh, and hangar decks that could stand open to space and still maintain a shirt sleeve environment.

Heck, it can be credibly argued that fans / authors had the notion of replicators in TOS books and reference long before "Tea, Earl Grey, hot."

Seems like all the holodeck-like examples occur after TOS and in TAS. Like shuttles that were not available in early episodes of TOS we could just have the holo rec room available starting in TAS and the idea that the cavernous space is a projected illusion tracks really well with the holo rec room concept.

Back