I'm building the entire Starship Enterprise interior at 1:25 scale

Okay, so I rechecked my 3D model.

When I drew up my initial schematics my design measured out at 8.0549 metres L.O.A. or 26.426837 ft. (26'-5 1/8"). The 3D model forced me to revise the size (due to a small error I had in my drawings) so the present measurement is 8.299679 metres L.O.A. or 27.22992 ft. (27'-2 3/4").

So my shuttlecraft went up 9 5/8" in length. And that allows for a 5'-9" interior ceiling. The length of the interior cabin (nose to aft cabin wall) is 19.276678 ft. (or 19'-3 5/16").

Removing the nacelles and aft landing strut subtracts about 2.5 ft. from the overall length, so you have a main hull under 25 ft. (about 24’-8”).

Close enough?

So you're finding that "The Galileo Seven" episode interior as seen, with headroom over Spock's six feet, and a machinery compartment under the floor, yields a bigger exterior than we can accept. That figures. They designed the exterior to be a vehicle you sit in, and then built the interior without regard for that.

Also, the difference between 27.22992 and 27.23 is less than a 1000th of an inch. That is literally a coat of paint. So I'd go with some sensible rounding. :bolian:

Note that in “The Galileo Seven” the actors often enough looked to be stooping a bit when standing within the shuttlecraft, almost as if they were trying to suggest a lower ceiling. Note also how low the chairs sit to the deck. Apparently in the real world, as commented on by Whitfield, the interior set was originally supposed to have a relatively low ceiling, but after the set was already under construction and the chairs had been ordered word came down to raise the ceiling to allow for the large cameras and for the cast to stand upright. Well, they modified the set to allow for a higher ceiling, but they were stuck with the low slung chairs.

My solution was to lean a bit more to the original intent for a real shuttlecraft. So the ceiling is lowered some, the chairs are less low slung and the cabin length is tightened up some by eliminating some of the extra space between chairs.

Last edited:
This article says the Galileo mockup is 23 feet (7 meters) in length. According to the size comparison below, it's a bit smaller -- just under 21 feet.
90h9AoK.jpg
For what it’s worth, something built at 7/8 scale generally appears to be full-sized to the eye. Interestingly enough, at 7/8 scale 24 feet becomes 21 feet, which may be why the mockup was so sized.

For what it’s worth, something built at 7/8 scale generally appears to be full-sized to the eye. Interestingly enough, at 7/8 scale 24 feet becomes 21 feet, which may be why the mockup was so sized.

James Cameron's full-sized mockup in Titanic, the one that could have its aft end jacked up for the sinking, was built to 9/10 scale IIRC. But his interior set of the grand staircase was scaled a little larger than the real one, for scene staging purposes.

The Last Voyage
(1960) went a different route: they rented a real ocean liner that was scheduled for the wreckers, filmed the movie onboard in its glamorous facilities, and flooded it almost to the point of sinking for the finale. Everything was full-scale in that movie, because it was the real thing.

If I won the motherlode of lotteries it’s an odd fantasy that I’d love to build a full scale replica of my shuttlecraft with interior and working lights and access hatch. It would be crazy, of course, and I have no idea where it could be put, but it would be one helluva sight. :lol:

Although I have not given it serious thought it could be interesting to make a complete 3D model of the TOS Enterprise with similar mindset I had with the shuttlecraft. It’s not totally out of left field given I was working on such a thing with my 29th century Enterprise design. It wasn’t just a conjectural design exercise, but a reimagined concept on a new Star Trek from scratch.

If you’re curious to see how that went go here: https://www.trekbbs.com/threads/tos-in-the-29th-century.241042/ Things get really interesting from Page 8 onward.

Hmm, I should revisit that design. I’m not totally happy with the forward part of the secondary hull.

Last edited:
The OP of this thread hasn't logged on in 9 months.

Did you guys scare him away?

:shrug:

:lol:

He is still very active posting his updates on Youtube. But it’s rather apparent he has very decided ideas on how he wants to do his project and constructive feedback doesn’t seem to be very welcome. He is not doing the TOS Enterprise, but rather his idealized version in tandem with Franz Joseph’s blueprints rather than more accurate drawings of the 11ft. filming miniature.

Last edited:
If I won the motherlode of lotteries it’s an odd fantasy that I’d love to build a full scale replica of my shuttlecraft with interior and working lights and access hatch. It would be crazy, of course, and I have no idea where it could be put, but it would be one helluva sight. :lol:

Although I have not given it serious thought it could be interesting to make a complete 3D model of the TOS Enterprise with similar mindset I had with the shuttlecraft. It’s not totally out of left field given I was working on such a thing with my 29th century Enterprise design. It wasn’t just a conjectural design exercise, but a reimagined concept on a new Star Trek from scratch.

If you’re curious to see how that went go here: https://www.trekbbs.com/threads/tos-in-the-29th-century.241042/ Things get really interesting from Page 8 onward.

Hmm, I should revisit that design. I’m not totally happy with the forward part of the secondary hull.
Just viewed this previous work of yours. Wow, that was a lot of good work! Loved the computer 3D designs.

Just viewed this previous work of yours. Wow, that was a lot of good work! Loved the computer 3D designs.
Thanks. Yeah, it was a lot of work, but also fun. My intent was not to detail every room of every deck, but to lay out the decks so that things could be referred to and make sense. I wanted to show only the most interesting parts of the ship and where they’d be located. If I were doing the TOS E I would likely take much the same approach.

If I were doing the TOS E I would likely take much the same approach.
Forgive me for quoting myself.

If I were to do this (and honestly it’s in the back of my mind) there would arise inevitable production compromises to be addressed. I faced enough of those with the shuttlecraft.

Lets take the Briefing Room for example. The shape of the angled wall is likely meant to suggest this room is on the rim of the main saucer. So does the angle of the set wall match the angle on the outer rim of the saucer hull? Thats likely a minor adjustment, but maybe not. Furthermore does the apparent curvature of the angled bulkhead match the curvature at the outer rim of the main saucer? I have my doubts because this set was meant to suggest it was at the outer rim and the angled bulkhead was meant to suggest the outer curvature, but I suspect what we saw onscreen would not actually match the rim’s curvature. If we hold to the idea the Briefing Room is at the saucer’s outer rim then I suspect a “real” Briefing Room wouldn’t have such a noticeable curvature to it.

On the other hand maybe the Briefing Room isn’t on the outer rim and the angled bulkhead is just an exercise in stylized design. That could work. Also why would you put a Briefing Room frequently used by senior staff so far from the Bridge or at least the central hub of the ship? Personally I think a briefing room frequently used by command staff would be situated closer to the Bridge, perhaps within the A/B deck superstructure.

Lets take the Briefing Room for example. The shape of the angled wall is likely meant to suggest this room is on the rim of the main saucer. So does the angle of the set wall match the angle on the outer rim of the saucer hull? Thats likely a minor adjustment, but maybe not. Furthermore does the apparent curvature of the angled bulkhead match the curvature at the outer rim of the main saucer?
While never explicitly said to exist for TOS, I suppose you could excuse any difference between the two as the shape of an inner pressure hull being slightly different from the outer hull.

While never explicitly said to exist for TOS, I suppose you could excuse any difference between the two as the shape of an inner pressure hull being slightly different from the outer hull.
There wouldn’t be that much discrepancy.

The same issue arises regarding the curved corridors we saw onscreen. They represented all the curved corridors aboard, but realistically not all those corridors would have the same curvature depending on where they were set within the primary hull.

On the other hand maybe the Briefing Room isn’t on the outer rim and the angled bulkhead is just an exercise in stylized design. That could work. Also why would you put a Briefing Room frequently used by senior staff so far from the Bridge or at least the central hub of the ship? Personally I think a briefing room frequently used by command staff would be situated closer to the Bridge, perhaps within the A/B deck superstructure.

Maybe in universe this is a legacy of the NX-01's conference room, which was intended for diplomatic meetings and was located on the saucer rim? Of course the Constitution was large enough to have multiple briefing rooms in different locations.

The same issue arises regarding the curved corridors we saw onscreen. They represented all the curved corridors aboard, but realistically not all those corridors would have the same curvature depending on where they were set within the primary hull.

There's a lot of this in Star Trek. I believe Enterprise was the only series where the sets had curved corridors with different diameters. The standing sets for TNG have a much smaller curve radius than even the innermost saucer corridors shown on the licensed Enterprise-D blueprints.

. . . On the other hand maybe the Briefing Room isn’t on the outer rim and the angled bulkhead is just an exercise in stylized design. That could work. Also why would you put a Briefing Room frequently used by senior staff so far from the Bridge or at least the central hub of the ship? Personally I think a briefing room frequently used by command staff would be situated closer to the Bridge, perhaps within the A/B deck superstructure.
The angled bulkheads and thick curved beams were meant to suggest a cabin in an 18th- or 19th-century sailing vessel. I don't know if Matt Jefferies put any thought into the exact location of the Briefing Room.

FWIW, Franz Joseph's plans show the Briefing Room three decks down and directly under the Bridge.

I would (and did) take the circular briefing room from the pilots and give it a regular series makeover. Then you’d have a briefing room one or two decks below the bridge. The one we saw would be one of several on the saucer edge, but there’d be this other one, too. Kirk just liked having his meetings in the outer one to get his steps in.

He is not doing the TOS Enterprise, but rather rather his idealized version in tandem with Franz Joseph’s blueprints rather than more accurate drawings of the 11ft. filming miniature.
He did promise to show the places we had seen on the show, and, while it's true that he was always open to additional material, he said all along that he was consulting Franz Joseph’s blueprints, so I never at any point had any expectation that he was going for 100% screen accuracy.

Back