"if you strike me down...

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Blip, Sep 14, 2008.

1. Sephiroth

Sephiroth Vice Admiral Admiral

Lucas has been forced to "re-state" his goals for the length of the film series since 77, it was originally supposed to be a 12 part serial like those made in the 1930's, then it was supposed to be a trilogy of trilogies, and now, cause of the EU, he won't touch the third trilogy

2. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I honestly don't know about the TV serial, but yes, you're right, he did have a grand overarching plot outline (as do all storytellers worth their salt).
    Lucas won't touch the third trilogy because he decided to incorporate things he would have done in the third trilogy into ROTJ. For him, number six has been the final chapter in the story for twenty-five years.

3. prometheuspan

prometheuspan Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

EU? European Union?
    Evil Union? ???

4. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Expanded Universe. Basically, everything Star Wars that didn't take place in the movies. Books, comics, video games, TV shows, etc.

5. John Picard

John Picard Vice Admiral Admiral

Exactly. Star Wars was originally developed to be akin to the old 1930's serials, where the viewer is dropped directly into the middle of an already developed story. This is why audiences of the day (I was 8 back then) were at first perplexed by the opening which declared it as "Episode IV". The only reason ESB and ROtJ were developed was because of the overwhelming popularity of Star Wars.

6. Colonel Midnight

Colonel Midnight Vice Admiral Premium Member

That's what I've always heard as well -- mainly because Guinness was actually embarrassed by the role, more than anything, as he felt it was "below" his talents/capabilities?

Cheers,
    -CM-

7. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

If that were true then why did he return for the next two movies?

8. FalTorPan

FalTorPan Vice Admiral Admiral

Although Guinness did later ridicule Star Wars, it was not his idea for the character to be killed. For more info, see this book, which is based on interviews and production notes from the time when Star Wars was being made.

9. Colonel Midnight

Colonel Midnight Vice Admiral Premium Member

^ Thanks, FalTorPan, I'll have to check it out. Sounds interesting...

Cheers,
    -CM-

10. TheBrew

TheBrew Vice Admiral Admiral

To answer the question, being immortal (by living as a Force spirit) was how Obi-Wan was to be more powerful. Darth Vader was looking for a way to prevent death and Obi-Wan knew that secret.

That was not a retcon, that was how it was originally intended.

11. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

It wasn't, you know, in the first run.

They put that "Episode IV" title in for the rerelease, after they knew for sure they'd be doing sequels.

12. John Picard

John Picard Vice Admiral Admiral

No it wasn't. It's been there since day 1.

13. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

No it was added later, not only was the Episode IV not but niether was A New Hope.

14. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

^Agreed, ¨Episode IV: A New Hope¨ was added with the rerelease in the summer of 1978. I saw it both 77 and 78 and remember being excited and confused by the addtional titling.

As far as the ¨original plan¨ , I always read that it was for 9 movies. at the end of ROTJ Luke was going to join the dark side along with his father. In the next 3 movies we would see Leia train as a jedi and reconvert Luke to the light side.

15. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

It would probably have been better if Vader had killed Obi-Wan against his will in that scene... but that's a pretty small quibble in a classic film.

16. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

17. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

No, it hasn't.

The "Episode IV: A New Hope" sub-title was a later addition. It was not there when I watched the movie the first few times in 1977 (I was somewhat older than 8, back then.) The movie was called simply Star Wars.

18. Jon1701

Jon1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Plus, it's mentioned in the Star Wars documentary on the DVD's...

19. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

20. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Originally, Obi Wan was supposed to escape the Death Star with the others. But there was a problem: What does he do the rest of the movie? Just watch from the sidelines? Lucas decided to kill him off, which would also make the escape from the DS more dramatic. He did a rewrite and told Guinness during filming in Tunisia. Guinness didn't like it, and when they got to England he told Lucas he would walk off the picture if the character was killed. They had a long lunch meeting, and Lucas finally persuaded Sir Alec that it was better for the movie and better for the character. Guinness later admitted that Lucas was right.

Ben Kenobi was a fairly late addition to the script. Originally there was an older general/warrior/bodyguard, sort of like in The Hidden Fortress, who was dropped. In a later draft there was a shabby but wise and mystical old Force-wizard that Luke stumbled across on Tatooine. I think it was in the next-to-final draft that Kenobi was created, combining the two. At first he was part machine, too, presumably because of battle wounds.

This is covered in The Making of Star Wars by Rinzler and Skywalking by Pollock.

--Justin