If you could have coffee with Kate Mulgrew what would you say?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Purdy Bear, Feb 14, 2011.

1. henbane

henbane Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

To be honest - I wouldn't ask Kate about anything to do with Star Trek or acting at all. She gets bombarded by this all the time, so I'd ask her about some stuff that wont generate the "parrot fashion" answers (you can see this on YouTube - years apart and people ask the same question - out comes the same well-rehersed automatic answer. Not a criticism of Kate Mulgrew - all stars do this). Kate is an actress with a brain - I'd take advantage of that over a cup of tea (sorry - can't stand coffee!!!).

2. JB2005

JB2005 Commodore Commodore

^ So...Mrs Columbo...please tell me you fired your agent for that one?

3. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

4. froot

froot Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Guarding the Compound with the Grey Wardens
    :guffaw::guffaw:

5. henbane

6. Gil T.Azell

Gil T.Azell Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Mrs. Columbo Sucked!

7. froot

froot Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Guarding the Compound with the Grey Wardens
    What - you mean making a whole series that essentially ruined the whole running joke about Colombo's wife wasn't an amazing idea? :guffaw:

She was... what? 20-something at the time? And she was supposed to be married to Peter Falk?! :guffaw: Who greenlighted that thing, anyway?

8. JB2005

Who else?

Nah not really!

9. HoneyBLilly

HoneyBLilly Commodore Commodore

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!
    EPIC!!!!!!!!
    I'd say that it was possible but he was probably just a lowly writer then and had no power.

10. JB2005

11. Katherine

Katherine Commodore Commodore

I would have an itch to ask her if she ever has regretted any of her harms which she's done to various people especially during her lifetime with Star Trek Voyager. :p

12. henbane

lol froot!

I recall reading somewhere that Kate said the show was written especially for her - I wonder what possessed her to own up to that!! :lol:

Could have been a good show, but Kate M isn't suited to that style of show - she's not Angela Lansbury.

Thinking about it, I think Kate got stuck in an awkward era of Hollywood - where her acting strengths and style were being superseded by a new generation of bottle blond barbies. Quite a few talented actresses of her era fell victim to this "plague".

13. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

I think it's always been like that. In fact, I'd say that we're living in the best era for middle-aged actresses in Hollywood, where they can find interesting roles in movies and especially in television. Twenty or forty years ago, Hollywood didn't know what to do with actresses such as Katherine Erbe, Edie Falco, Rachel Griffiths or Melina Kanakaredes, to name just a few. These days, they're everywhere.

14. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've heard that's she's actually been apologizing at cons. for that behavior.;)

That's all well and good but don't apologize to us, do to those you actually insulted.

15. JanewayRulz!

JanewayRulz! Vice Admiral Admiral

If we are talking about species harmed during Voyager, who cares?

If we are talking about Jeri being harmed by her comments... I think apologizing AT the cons is what she needs to do. She's taking ownership of her comments and telling those people most likely to have heard them that she was wrong.

I think that kind of atonement would mean more to Jeri than Kate sending her a note, or stopping her backstage to say "sorry for being such an ass."

16. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

I disagree.
    We the public weren't on the set of Voyager.
    We don't know what was said or done, why apologize to us?
    If you insulted me(for example) apologizing to my neighbor for it is as meaningless as it is cowardly.
    If you're sincere about your apology, you say it directly to that person you insulted. That's the honorable & proper thing to do.

17. The Mirrorball Man

And of course there is this scene where - of course I realize that acting alone in front of a camera is not easy - she has the body language of a Thunderbirds puppet. She even raises her hand as if it were operated by a string.

18. henbane

I think you missed the point Mirrorball Man - I was referring to poor direction rather than poor acting. I'd never regard Kate Mulgrew as a poor actor (or one of the greats). She's ompetent and very well suited to certain roles (as are most actors).

19. The Mirrorball Man

Actually no, I was just making mine.

20. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I like Janeway in that scene because she looks like lots of other Admirals on viewscreens did when giving orders to Captains. They often look.. quite implacable. As though they know that a Captain is not going to be saluting and saying "yes SIR" and running off to their bidding so they better make it very clear from the start that the great wall of Starfleet is behind their back and there is no point in debate.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2011