If you could have coffee with Kate Mulgrew what would you say?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Purdy Bear, Feb 14, 2011.

1. HoneyBLilly

HoneyBLilly Commodore Commodore

So teacake, you're gonna go the Big Bang Theory route.

2. Purdy Bear

Purdy Bear Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I think quite the reverse. I feel that it brought more women on board.

It was followed by Enterpise after all, so maybe it was that show that stopped it dead rather then Voyager.

3. Satyrquaze

Satyrquaze Vice Admiral Admiral

I think Trek was on life-support when 'Enterprise' started. (I did say "nearly killed")

It may have brought on more women, but it lost it a good percentage of its fan-base, which lets be fair, was mostly males at that point.

4. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's been 11 years since VOY ended. Since then we've had a whole other Trek series which despite the criticisms of some is well loved by many. We've had 2 movies, the second of which was a huge box office success.

Since then I've also bought every bit of Trek there is on DVD as have I'm sure many other fans. Numerous Trek books have been published. Art Asylum produced fantastic Trek figures. Conventions continued to be run (I could attend at least 6 in the first half of this year in my quite far away from the US city if I wanted to, with Trek actors.)

And Star Trek XII is HUGELY anticipated for 2012 with the script finishing up soon with great actors and the director of some very popular series.

Star Trek has not been "killed" by VOY or ENT. Some day in the future there will be no new Trek in any form but that day is not now! Some people thought Trek was killed when DS9 wandered from Roddenberry's Utopian ideals. People are always opining over its death but it is still here, still producing new stories, still full of fans!

"It's life Jim, but not as we know it." And that's what people call "death", the franchise varying from whatever part of it they first loved.

5. Satyrquaze

Well said and i agree with you to an extent.

I wasn't speaking to any point since Star Trek (2009) came out.

6. JB2005

JB2005 Commodore Commodore

Uh oh, now the tone's changed!

7. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think it only lost the fly by night casual fans that joined during TNG's hey day. IMO those that stayed on to watch Voy. are the exact core of Trek's fanbase. I think we assume that because TNG was such a huge hit, that the Trek fanbase is as large as those numbers. It isn't and never was. Voy. is also the first Trek to be put back on ratings based TV since TOS. The fact that it suvived giving us 7 full seasons(more than TOS & ENT. and equal to that of the most successful TNG & DS9) when all odds were stacked against it is a success story, not a failure.

8. exodus

Preach it!!:bolian:

9. Satyrquaze

I'm simply speaking as a hardcore fan that loved TNG, loved DS9; and quickly lost interest in VOY. I did eventually come back for ENT.

I truly feel that the most recent movie has resurrected and revitialized Trek, and I know I'm not the only one.

10. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

"Was Kathy Future Guy from Enterprise? ...Shouldn't you have gotten paid for that?"

11. exodus

What am I, chopped liver? :lol:

12. Satyrquaze

Are you saying I'm some sort of manwhore? ;)

13. exodus

You say it, like it's a bad thing. :lol:

14. teacake

Let's have a hardcore competition, right here, right now.

AH AM SO FREAKING HARDCORE, MY CORE WAS LIKE A HORTA WHEN YOU WERE JUST GOO IN YOUR MOMMA'S BELLY.

I'm a hardcore old school pwnage machine baby, beat that.

15. Akiraprise

Akiraprise To Ꝏ & BEYOND! Moderator

This gets :techman::techman: from me.

:lol:

16. Satyrquaze

I think you win solely on the basis that you tolerate and even seem to get enjoyment out Voyager.

17. HoneyBLilly

HoneyBLilly Commodore Commodore

Wasn't this thread about Kate and not about how good/bad Voyager is?
    Yes, Voyager had some really bad episodes. But it had some incredibly good episodes. And the reason the people who like Voyager like it is, IMO, because of the characters, even though they didn't have a lot of development, the way they interacted with each other and would respond to a situation made us really like it. The cast chemistry was much better on Voyager than it was on TNG and DS9's cast was just awkward to watch together in the beginning. Also it was really cool to watch back when CGI was that young. And it was lighter than DS9, which really showcased how dark Trek could actually be.

Now back to the topic: I think I would tell Kate that she's an inspiration to all women and that she's the reason I started watching Trek.

18. teacake

I know, I know.. strange sight on the Voyager Forum. Maybe you need some shades to filter all this VOY love, protect your eyes when you read here.

[​IMG]

19. froot

froot Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Guarding the Compound with the Grey Wardens
    There are Voyager fans on the VOY forum?!! ALERT THE INTERNET

LOL, I love angry fanboys.

20. teacake

Yah we all need fiber in our diet.

mmm.... cleansing..