If you could have coffee with Kate Mulgrew what would you say?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Purdy Bear, Feb 14, 2011.

1. Quinton O'Connor

Quinton O'Connor Commodore Commodore

God, these pictures. So awesome.

I'm starting to consider teacake my favorite poster.

2. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

:: blushes ::

3. Dancing Doctor

Dancing Doctor Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

4. JB2005

JB2005 Commodore Commodore

:lol:

5. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

Perhaps some Yoga or a high Colonic?

6. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

To be perfectly honest, and I don't want to sound hostile or obnoxious here, but I would ask her about some of her odd acting choices, especially what I perceive to be a very stiff and unnatural body language.

7. JB2005

JB2005 Commodore Commodore

^ I think that's more a result of bad writing than bad acting choices. The character of Janeway was written so inconsistently that I could see how it would be difficult for Mulgrew to realistically portray the character (one episode she's depressed about being in the DQ the next she's saying she never questioned that decision)

8. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't think that has anything to do with the writing. From time to time, I've seen Mulgrew move her hands or tilt her head or whatever, in ways that felt very staged and self-conscious and absolutely not natural or spontaneous.

9. exodus

You can't blame everything on bad writing.
    If someones body language is off that's either the fault of bad acting or bad directing. For example: Mulgrew standing nearly nose to nose with someone while talking during the first 2 seasons has nothing to do with writing. That's bad improper directing and acting. That works in daytime soap operas, not in night time drama. As Voyager continues, you can see Mulgrew stops doing this. The scripts didn't change, the direction on how to play the scenes did.

10. teacake

I find Guy Garderner's posts nicely do the trick. Cleanse the brain, like bleach.. ready to see things in a whole new light.

11. exodus

I'm not sure if that's a compliment or insult, so I'll just smile and nod my head. :lol:

12. teacake

I thought it was all part of her woo/intimidate dance and she had less reason for it after a couple seasons because she had succeeded :D

13. JanewayRulz!

JanewayRulz! Vice Admiral Admiral

Getting back to coffee with Kate... (After the Restraining order is lifted)

I'd want to know if she'd ever sign up again for a 7 year run on a TV show. Or, is it too much of a committment, too limiting from a creative POV.

14. exodus

Only thing I always thought was: "If she going to stand that close, I hope she's got fresh breath." :lol:

15. exodus

I would think 7 years of steady work would be a good thing.

16. Solarbaby

Solarbaby Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

LOL, I bet no one would dare ask her all those questions, they'd be too awe struck.

17. exodus

Not me.
    I've met celebs bigger than her.
    I don't get star struck.
    ....but no, just out of respect and being polite I would never actually ask Mulgrew: "Why you such a bitch?":lol:

18. froot

froot Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Guarding the Compound with the Grey Wardens
    According to Picardo's interview on that show they did about the Trek captains on the Bio channel - that's why she got cast in the first place. :lol: So I ain't gonna question it.

But, yeah, I couldn't have coffee with her because I'd probably get within three feet and wet myself, faint, wake up, blubber, and wet myself again.

I couldn't ever interact with someone famous, much less KM. Well, I mean, I guess I could if someone provided me with some Depends and was there to catch me before I did serious injury to myself.

I have a hard time enough time ordering food at McDonald's. Strangers are scary.

19. JanewayRulz!

JanewayRulz! Vice Admiral Admiral

I "think" it was Lucy Lawless who once told a story (in an interview) about being so disappointed as a child when she met a "hero"/actor once and they were such a smuck. She always tries to remember that when confronted with fans meeting "her".

I was a "veteran" convention goer, when I went to my SECOND convention in 2001 to celebrate the end of Voyager's 7 year run. I had no trouble getting up in front of 2000 people the year before in Burbank to ask questions of my Voyager favs (Robbie, Tim, Bob) but when I stood at the mic and looked up at Mulgrew, I joked that my discussion board pals had pegged me right. I was about to "turn" into a bucket of "goo." Kate was very sweet and "ahh'ed" while I pulled myself together and did my spiel.

What I remember of that afternoon was what we talk about on this board frequently. She just looked directly at me and under that gaze I settled down sufficiently to explain & give her my "gang's" gift ...

(Yes, Vas2009, it WAS a House Of Janeway Tshirt, but in command red!)

....and to ask the question that was intriguing me at the time.

(From Totallykate.com)

Kate Mulgrew: 'House of Janeway' There you go. Oh, 'Wednesdays with Kathryn - The House of Janeway. Thank you very, very much.

Questioner:"I have one actual question."

Kate Mulgrew: Yes, of course.

Questioner:"Speaking of science fiction in general and Star Trek in particular, we often talk about how this genre is not only known for its Star Trek conventions, but known for introducing young people into the scientific discipline. Did you feel at all strange to be told that you not only had the mantel of Kirk and Picard, but you had to read Jules Verne and bring everybody into the 21st Century in terms of NASA and the sciences?"

Kate Mulgrew: It was a bit daunting, but I like a challenge. And, um, it stimulated me to learn, you know? Science fiction was foreign to me and I would have to be very honest and tell you science was, by in large, foreign to me when I got this job. But I studied. The first lady (Hilary Clinton) invited me to Washington in the first season to meet with a group of scientists and honor women in science and then I said to myself, 'Well, if this is going to be done well, I'm going to have to take it rather seriously." And so I have. I mean there's a great deal ahead of me. But I see what wide and really extraordinary impact Star Trek has on burgeoning scientists so I do take it seriously and I thank you for that question and I thank you for these gifts.

I met her again the summer of 2009, during the photo-op session of a creation con. I had no burning questions, but I was blessed with that other thing we talk about on this board so much.

That smile. :biggrin:

That, and her firm handshake (I can't stand limp ones!) are the memories I carry of THAT con.

:bolian:

20. henbane

henbane Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Agree with you exodus - the old "blame it on bad writing" cliche!

Those "nose to nose" moments early on were "scary" - still makes me laugh when I see them. The other thing that struck me as really unnatural - and in later series, was the hand on the hip. It always reminds me of a pregnant woman with backache. I'd love to know who made the decision to persist with that stance.