I thought Valiant was a very good episode

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Sexy Human, Sep 5, 2012.

1. Sexy Human

Sexy Human Lieutenant

Anyone agree?

I liked the Captain Watters character. Just thought it was overall a good plot and a good idea. And great how it wasnt some stupid predictable happy ending.

They got the shit kicked out of them.

2. Photon

Photon Commodore Commodore

2 things:
    1) I love seeing cocky pricks getting their asses handed to them
    2) The big Dominion battleship....Win

3. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It was alright. Really it was a ship full of cocky, arrogant pricks that didn't know what they were doing. I had a hard time feeling bad when they got blown up.

It was a good character piece of Nog and his pride, a bit of eyecandy.

4. Danny99

Danny99 Vice Admiral Admiral

They tried to make a bunch of sympathetic characters (like Collins) on a ship full of jackasses. Unfortunately, she turned into a whiny brat and I spent the entire episode hoping they'd all perish.

5. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

I did not like the episode, the actors they cast as the cadets were too young, they looked like they were 16. That they had conservative Season 1 Janeway hairstyles made them look even younger, they looked like a bunch of kids playing grown-ups.

The episode was very predictable, I knew from the start that these arrogant asses would fail, there was no way a bunch of inexperienced kids were going to blow up the Dominion ship and become heroes, it had written "This is a tragedy!" all over it, the only problem was that seeing the idiots die wasn't very tragic, I wanted them dead after 15 minutes, they just weren't likable.

6. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Some nice SFX, which are actually quite dated by now.
    That was it.

7. Nightdiamond

Nightdiamond Commodore Commodore

It was interesting episode to watch, but it's true, they were all jerks, and it was almost enjoyable seeing them get their arses handed back to them.

And the plot is right out the original Star Wars with the Death Star battle.

8. Shikarnov

Shikarnov Rear Admiral Premium Member

Pittsburgh, PA - (TX, CT, & RF in years past)
    [Deleted]

Last edited: Sep 5, 2012
  9. NrobbieC

NrobbieC Commander Red Shirt

The characters were so annoying and arrogant, it's fun to watch them die. That's the risk of having too many yanks on the bridge.

10. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

The best part of the episode has to be when the arrogant cadets got exactly what they deserved.

Serioulsy did Starfleet not learn the lessons of Nova Squad about having elite cadet squads?

11. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

Well, I figured I'd add something other than all the valuable insight about these jerks getting what they deserved ;)

For me, the major criticisms I had about this episode had to do with how they dealt with the plot concept of a "Cadet Ship". The existence of a cadet ship itself didn't bother me, but the fact that it was a Defiant-class vessel did. There should have been other vessels more suited to training cadets, but that's relatively minor compared to my major concerns:

They were on a "three month training mission to circumnavigate the Federation". LOL-what? There is no way the Federation is anywhere near circumnavigable in three months. There is no way in hell the Federation can even be CROSSED in three months, depending on your view of the size of the Federation. And if they're on the border of Federation space, how did Nog get there from Earth in a Runabout?

The way the provisional ranks were handed out. Let's allow for Waters being field-commissioned to Captain. And lets allow for the fact that they ignored orders and stayed on the Frontlines to fight the Dominion instead of going home. He's got a very high opinion of some of the other cadets (and a low opinion of the others). Why are some of them granted officer commissions, while the one girl gets a CPO commission? Arguably as a cadet, she's already at a higher grade than a CPO.

In the end, they were all jerks and deserved what they had coming to them. Clearly they were not as mature as the members of Nova Squadron, although that's another bad example of Cadets in action.

12. commanderkai

commanderkai Lieutenant Red Shirt

The cadets wasted a Defiant Class ship. That alone made it a bad episode

13. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

I can imagine what would have happened had a real captain like Picard or Sisko had arrived onto the ship. They would have told the brats to go the hell home.

A good ship wouldn't have been wasted too.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2012
  14. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

It was a classic revenge of the nerd writers on the cool kids story line.. though it went a bit too Columbine for my taste. Still an enjoyably different ep for DS9.

15. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

I thought it sucked Kong Kong sized balls. The only redeeming part of it was seeing these arrogant pricks get blown to pieces. Fraking twits.

16. LobsterAfternoon

LobsterAfternoon Commander Red Shirt

I first saw this one after hearing on the tubes about how bad it was. I have to say, except for the conceit of not one of the cadets thinking "shit, this is retarded, we need to head back to Earth/Vulcan/Andor/any goddamn starbase and tell Starfleet what happened", I like the episode. A good character piece for both Nog and Jake, had the very Trek message about the dangers of arroganace, and it was cool to see the Dominion War from a non-Sisko/Defiant/DS9 perspective.

For what it's worth, my girlfriend, who mercilessly mocks most of the trek episodes she catches me watching, really liked this episode. The only other Trek she's liked were the Abrams movie and the Picard parts of "Darmok", so I'm not sure what that says.

17. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

It says you have to work harder at feeding her Trek she likes because she has potential!

18. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I hated this episode and seeing Homefront/Paradise Lost makes me hate this episode more. Why the heck wasn't Red Squad abolished after they tried to commit treason? Yeah it was the admiral in charge, but it seems to be the academy has a problem with hotshots and bad situations. Not only you had Red Squad, but also the squadran from TNG's first duty.

Also, the characters on the Valiant were pathetic and they blew up the defiant class she too early.

19. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

From memory, weren't they supposed to gather data on this new Domonion Battleship and return the intel to the Federation.

If so, they couldn't even follow the mission orders. They wan't to play hero.

But didn't the original scripit have Kira in it. he would have eaten the Cadet's for breakfast.

20. NrobbieC

NrobbieC Commander Red Shirt

I love how practically everyone's favourite part is watching the children die :D