I officially began my journey through all Star Trek on October 9th...

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Shalashaska, Dec 23, 2015.

1. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

IIRC, the TCW was a half-formed idea they threw in at the beginning (Braga can't seem to let go of time travel, despite not being very good at writing it), without any actual plan or idea where it was going.

2. m.lp.ql.m

m.lp.ql.m Commander Red Shirt

The TCW always seemed like a 'back door' to me, so that they could have a 'special appearance' by 7 of 9 or Deanna Troi in a time of dire ratings.

3. Griffeytrek

Griffeytrek Captain Captain

We should probably warn you, the Romulans were being teased and setup to be the big bad for Season 5. Which obviously didn't happen.

4. NOVE9

NOVE9 Commander Red Shirt

Absolutely, I remember reading shortly after the series ended that they were going to have a character from voyager show up in the 5th season. That would have been cool to see them back in character but time travel in the later years became too contrived and repetitive. No to mention nonsensical.

5. Shalashaska

Shalashaska Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Shran's great.

KennyB and 1001001 like this.
  6. Isolinear

Isolinear Commander Red Shirt

I don't remember where I read it (could be the Blu-ray specials), but didn't B&B want to do a prequel and the studio wanted a sequel, so they shoehorned in the TCW as a compromise. That way the new series could still have a connection to "modern" Trek.

I don't agree that the TCW was a bad idea. It was a great idea, with lots of potential for cool time travel stories. But they ruined it because they obviously didn't know what they were doing and wasted it on one-off episodes that didn't go anywhere.
    It could have given us exceptional quality like Yesterday's Enterprise, City on the Edge, Year of Hell and The Visitor, all enriching the Trek lore. Instead all we got was VOY Relativity's poorly done "LOL trime travel, weird stuff happens: swallow it" drivel.
    The writers weren't interested in it, that's for sure. I mean after three seasons we still didn't know basic stuff like who exactly these "factions" were in the TCW and what they were fighting for. Daniels surviving death and the small ship with the huge interior... never explained. Weird sh* just for the sake of doing weird sh* I guess. As I said, great ideas, horrible execution.

7. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

There was one decent ENT that dealt with the TCW "Future Tense" and even then it could been re-worked slightly if the TCW never existed.

Really if they wanted to a TCW storyline they should have gone into the future i.e the 29th Century and have a crew on a Time Ship trying to maintain the timeline from factions who want to change it for their benefit.

What did the TCW really add to ENT?

As for the small ship with a huge interior it was obviously dimensional transcendental. Sometimes it is better not to explain too much, keeps your options open.

8. Shalashaska

Bound is ssssstupid...

And offensive...

But mostly stupid!

9. Shalashaska

Trip and T'Pol's cute exchange at the end kind of made up for all that other crap though.

10. Shalashaska

I liked that Klingon Augment arc, BTW. I think the forehead thing should've never been brought up in the first place, but I'd probably blame DS9 more for that. ENT just expanded upon it, and I think the fun little tie-ins they're doing with TOS are great. It's finally a prequel doing prequel stuff!

11. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

I always said the Klingon forehead thing could have been more sensibly explained by realizing that the Klingon Empire was, ya know, an Empire. Warriors from many subject planets could be manning their ships. In TOS, we only saw Klingons from certain planets.

12. Shalashaska

You know, I was a little disappointed with In a Mirror, Darkly. I've never been a big fan of the Mirror universe, and while the new intro was pretty badass, I didn't think the story was all that different from your typical Mirror universe episode. It's probably the best of the lot (at least out of the spinoffs) for the fun TOS/USS Defiant bits in Part II, and the ending was great... but it feels a bit inconsequential showing this parallel universe with no real ties to the ENT universe.

I don't know, it wasn't bad. I think it would've been better if we had someone to actually root for, not just a bunch of sinister assholes killing each other left and right :lol:

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
  13. Isolinear

Isolinear Commander Red Shirt

I thought the ending was a bit weak. It just sort of ends. Hoshi's big line and then.... credits. Ok.

So, you're ready for the End! Just watch Demons and Terra Prime as if they were the true finale. Then a few days later watch TNG's "The Pegasus", and then "These Are The Voyages" as a "what-if?" epilogue.

14. Griffeytrek

Griffeytrek Captain Captain

In a Mirror Darkly I always thought was interesting largely because it was so self contained. An intriguing experiment that works just for that story, but isn't something we would want to revisit. What little connectivity there is is the evil crew looking through the Defiant's records of themselves. And in at least one universe or timeline Hoshi is important. It also shows that there are no possible timelines where Mayweather is interesting or important.

Shalashaska and Forbin like this.
  15. KennyB

KennyB Rear Admiral Premium Member

Shran may have been the best part of the whole series for me...........

Shalashaska likes this.
  16. Shalashaska

I'll be off to London on Friday, so the two-parter will be watched today, then the finale tomorrow night. Feels kind of strange being this close to the end.

17. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

Have fun with the two parter.
    It's a story that is as socially relevant as it's ever been.

Shalashaska likes this.
  18. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

:guffaw:

The poor guy!

19. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

On the bright side new Trek is only a few months away.

20. DamarsKanar

DamarsKanar Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I watched the finale................
    but won't hijack the thread posting spoilers till @Shalashaska has seen.