How would you feel if they said they were going to be doing another Shatner as Kirk led movie?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by Jayson1, Jan 11, 2020.

1. STEPhon IT

STEPhon IT Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It all depends on who's fantasy the victim can imagine inside of the Nexus. Could an adventure happen in the Nexus and Kirk in it? Sure, but Kirk is dead.

2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I just don’t know? But my gut tells me Shatner’s day is over, in regards to playing Kirk.

Smellmet and Armus like this.
  3. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I don't know - Guinan's extra sensory temporal perception is somehow tied to the part of her that she left in the Nexus.

That indicates that the 'Nexus image ' is both real and distinct from the version outside the Nexus.

4. STEPhon IT

Kirk never had that; he was blasted into outer space I thought; I can't digest the physics of the Nexus. Phasing through temporal spaces I can get -- kinda -- which we saw from Scotty's dialogue and the transitions which took place on the planet Picard and Soran were on. I can only accept what took place in the Nexus through the eyes of Picard; I'm not sure from a plot stand point if Picard ever escaped the Nexus. It's such a poorly plotted movie, but you could be on to something.

Khan 2.0 likes this.
  5. Galileo7

Galileo7 Commodore Commodore

Star Trek Picard, so why not a Star Trek Kirk. ;)

6. Damian

Damian Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's a no for me. I said good-bye to Shatner's Kirk a long time ago in Generations.

I loved his 'first' death in Generations. 'Dying' while saving the Enterprise-B. And he was really alone in keeping with his feeling of how he would die from TFF. Perfect. Maybe it wasn't the shoot'em up death we thought he would have but he 'died' directly saving the Enterprise. But Kirk, as always, cheats death and isn't really dead.

I'm fine with the reasons of his 2nd death, if not the method. He came back one last time to be a hero, helping Picard save the civilization on Veridian IV as well as the Enterprise-D again. Leaving his own personal heaven to help a people he never met. And in a sense he died isolated from his family, Spock and McCoy in particular, so in a sense still alone.

Now the way he died maybe could have been handled better. But I never had a problem with the reasons behind his death.

Whatever else the current showrunners and PTBs at Star Trek are doing, canon still holds importance to them. They're not going to outright contradict Generations. So the only way they bring Kirk back is either as a future Kelvinverse-Kirk or some crazy time travel story where they twist themselves in knots trying to explain it. Nah. Not for me.

Don't get me wrong. Shatner will always be the Kirk all others have to live up to. His is the model others like Chris Pine have to live up to. I love the original series and the movies. But I've moved on years ago and just have no desire to go back.

Now that's just my opinion of course. Feel free to disagree ;)

Smellmet likes this.
  7. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

One thing to consider which is always a consideration with older actors is if you want to see classic Kirk back you only have so much time before that becomes impossible. Nobody lives forever but it also means IMO that it is important that if you bring them back you got to make it worth it and it really honors the character.

Jason

jackoverfull likes this.
  8. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

When you enter the nexus, you enter physically. Kirk entered in the same way anyone does.

When you leave, a physical version of you leaves, but a version of you is left behind. Whether it's a physical version of you or not, I don't know, but part of you is still there.

9. Damian

Damian Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Someone on another thread had a very good explanation of that, it might have been @Christopher or maybe someone else (if it was Christopher maybe he'll help explain it better than I if he wants). I tried looking it up but when I did a search on the Nexus but it'd probably take me 542 days before I find the right one because I don't recall the exact thread.

But it goes something like this. First, the Nexus does not run on our linear time. You've got to throw that out right away. There is no time in the Nexus. Guinan's echo said as much, "Time has no meaning here".

Because Kirk (and Guinan and Picard for that matter) went into the Nexus, that part of them that went there will always be there. How Guinan's echo described it is probably the best way to put it. It's an echo, a fragment of another existence. That's why that echo can't leave the Nexus. It's not real, not in the sense of our universe anyway. There's not anyone to leave the Nexus because they already have.

Perhaps another way to put it is that what was left behind was basically a memory of that person. You could no more make a memory come into real life then an echo of a person in the Nexus could return to real life.

Hope that helps.

I really liked the Nexus idea because it stretches the imagination. I like plot ideas that twists your mind around. It's likely there are things in the universe that warp our sense of reality as well.

10. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

That's a decent interpretation - it makes sense.

Not to say that there couldn't be other 'interpretations' if there was the need.

11. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There's your title:

Star Trek: Interpretations.

12. STEPhon IT

What pissed me off about Generations was Kirk's death was final; no hope or a "REMEMBER" type moment, not giving me a hint he may still be alive. Then Picard buries such a great icon on that planet, not having a conscience or a soul to have his body picked up by the 3 starships that aided the Enterprise crew. His corpse is simply... left there. Not cool.

Phoenix219 and Galileo7 like this.
  13. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

It was a shit film. End of...

To be honest, although I loved TNG I didn't like any of their movies.

Phoenix219, Galileo7 and Smellmet like this.
  14. JonnyQuest037

JonnyQuest037 Vice Admiral Admiral

As much as I love Shatner and Kirk, it feels like they've missed their window for that.

15. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've been saying this for years as well. Linear time has no meaning there. It doesn't matter what happens out in the "real" universe. The Kirk who died in our universe was more like a temporal avatar projection, or some weird thing like that. There's still some version of Kirk, Picard, and Soran in the Nexus.

Kor

Khan 2.0, Relayer1 and Phoenix219 like this.
  16. Phoenix219

Phoenix219 Commodore Commodore

I always liked the idea that Picard is still happily in his Nexus fantasy, and that in reality, Shatner came out, pulled rank on the Enterprise D, and kicked butt the rest of the movie. Thats the kind of 24th century reboot I could get behind. ;)

I would love a Shatner-as-Kirk in just about anything. Ideally, voicing an animated character. They could do an Animated Phase II!!

I still wish he had played Old Kirk in that STC episode.

Khan 2.0 and Relayer1 like this.
  17. Phoenix219

Phoenix219 Commodore Commodore

Yes, I'm talking to myself. I love the scene in my own nexus movie, where Kirk asks off hand, probably to Riker, if they still follow Star Fleet regulations, and if this is still a thing.... then pulling out some archaic but still active regulation (see, he learned after WOK!) to give him command of the Enterprise once again, with the TNG crew learning to respect him, going into a showdown with Soran, who he had experience dealing with due to crossing paths with his Nexus echo..... like Relics, they at first don't take his advice, and think he is too out of date for modern Star Fleet etc etc.

Khan 2.0 likes this.
  18. Agony_Boothb

Agony_Boothb Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd only be interested if the film was shatner as kirk on a stage with a stool, just doing his latest spoken word album.

MrPicard likes this.
  19. Khan 2.0

Khan 2.0 Commodore Commodore

OMG that would've been such an awesome scene/finale. Kirk gets out the nexus but Picard doesn't or he gets incapacitated on V3 and Kirk has to take command of the EntD (via some regulation call back to a previous movie and uses some manoeuvre from TWOK/TUC to destroy the BoP) then at the end he has to sacrifice himself for TNG/to save picard (then picard is rescued/picked up at the end as in the film)

So many awesome scenarios that Generations could've done even with the existing plot/nexus yet they just..kept. missing. the target..

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
    Phoenix219 likes this.
  20. ED-209

ED-209 Commodore Commodore

They never did, there's contradiction everywhere right back to TOS.