How to make soccer more exciting?

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by The Borgified Corpse, Jun 28, 2010.

1. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

The whole world calls it football, or soccer, or fĂștbol, Fussball, futebol, calcio...

2. O'Dib

O'Dib Commodore Commodore

nogomet; which translates to foot-target as opposed to football, coincidentally.

3. Shaytan

Shaytan Vice Admiral Admiral

Ok, brain reloaded.

Oh they did that, those little bastards ?!? :eek: :lol:

4. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

You see, I like baseball because every pitch can matter. There's a lot of intensity in the littlest of things. It has to be something you watch a decent amount, I think, but it's possible (and it's not something you grow up with, I've gotten a French foreign exchange student to become a die hard Phillies fan).

BTW, I'd also argue that those who say the way to improve American football is to remove pads doesn't understand the game and quite possibly hasn't really watched much of it. There are problems with football related to too many commercial breaks, but the stop-start nature doesn't really matter too much if the game is moving.

Thank you, beat me to it. Of course, most of those are derived from the "Football" half of "Association Football", but some are unrelated (Calcio comes from "kick" iirc. Arguably, the game should be called "Kick Ball" ;) ).

5. Chaos Descending

Chaos Descending Vice Admiral Admiral

^^^ I think in one part of the history of the development of the game it was actually called "goal ball" (no relationship to the sport for the blind, of course).

6. All Seeing Eye

All Seeing Eye Admiral

So every country in the world apart from the USA loves Football (or soccer as the Americans put it ).

Well, I've thought about it and I can live with that percentage.

7. nevermore

nevermore Admiral Admiral

Landmines, roving packs of rabid dogs, and possibly legalizing body-checking. Frankly, I'm not really interested in a sport unless there's a real possibility of catastrophic injury. If I want artistry and grace, I'll go to the ballet. :shrug:

The pads allow and encourage them to hit harder. This is a good thing.

Oh, they have guns. I gather you don't really know much about football. :p

8. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Canadians love hockey more than they love soccer. China is rapidly becoming a basketball-first nation. Baseball is the most popular sport in Japan, Taiwan, Cuba, Venezuela, the Dominican Republic, and Nicaragua. They prefer cricket in India and Pakistan, and Australia and New Zealand prefer rugby.

9. O'Dib

O'Dib Commodore Commodore

I haven't read the whole thread, but has anyone imagined a goalie-less football yet?

10. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

Sort of. I think the name "calcio" is a reference to a specific medieval game that is kind of similar to modern football Calcio Fiorentino, although it has no direct connection. As in most countries the sport was brought to Italy by English expatriates- in this case sailors I think. For example the oldest club in Italy is called "Genoa CFC" and the CFC doesn't stand for "calcio something" but for "Cricket and Football Club". I think it was a deliberate decision to change the name to calcio, to italianise it.

You don't know what you're talking about, there are gruesome injuries happening all the time in soccer, why don't you google a bit before you talk such nonsense. When grown men smash their legs and heads together with full force blood and broken bones are frequent results.

Here just a taste:
    [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaaOzWoM5EM[/yt]

11. clint g

clint g Admiral Admiral

This is actually a very popular modification to soccer in the new york area. It's played with smaller nets and no goalie

12. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

It gets exciting when the police come and arrest a player mid-game for GBH.

13. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Clearly you've never seen Rugby Union. ;)

14. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

I'm not sure it was a deliberate decision, more about extending an already existing term (calcio, kick) to a new sport (football translated in Italian would be "pallapiede"). Attempts to "italianize" foreign names were common during the 20s and 30s, but since football was deemed an intrinsically English sport, it was suppressed altogether (didn't work very well, tho :lol:). Funnily enough, calcio fiorentino was much more similar to rugby that football, making it all more confusing!

15. Angel4576

16. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

Is there an echo in here?

17. Angel4576

:lol:

One of our servers is down so everything's going slow. It didn't look my previous post had made it, then it turns out it had, as well as the new one. Grrrrr!

18. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

19. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Well, before modern rules were formalized, football was a lot closer to rugby than itself. My theory is that sports like football were popular all over Europe. England just decided to formalize the rules (in two variants, Rugby and Soccer) and that's what caught on. The original medieval games were something that could catch on anywhere - one village tries to bring a ball to the other village and that village tries to stop them and bring it back (by any means necessary).

20. CommanderRaytas

CommanderRaytas DISCO QUEEEEEEN Rear Admiral

Intergalactic Planetary Planetary Intergalactic

If you get rid of the girly body armour and cut the commercial breaks, it sort of becomes rugby, doesn't it? :p