Poll How positive are you about Discovery now?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Mage, Jul 26, 2017.

?

What is your view on Discovery?

1. Very positive

81 vote(s)
    24.1%
  2. Positive

90 vote(s)
    26.8%
  3. Somewhat positive but hesitant

56 vote(s)
    16.7%
  4. Neutral

24 vote(s)
    7.1%
  5. Somewhat negative but hopeful

33 vote(s)
    9.8%
  6. Negative

34 vote(s)
    10.1%
  7. Very negative

18 vote(s)
    5.4%
  1. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

True, but I don't find it that unlikely that if Trek series is a hit they'd make more (and different) Trek shows. It's happened in the past.

Oh, I won't.

I must have started watching thirty or more 'genre' shows in the last decade or two and I've bailed on all of them except Galactica before the end, but I'll ALWAYS watch (and purchase) a Trek series. I even did with Voyager...

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I plugged along on The Good Wife for no reason... Half way through season 3, I realized that this was my favourite show.

3. Ensign Ogahd Ahmganadai

Ensign Ogahd Ahmganadai Commander Red Shirt

I don't mean I'll watch the pilot and if I'm not thoroughly impressed saying "okay, I'm out". I'll basically do this season by season. I'll judge whether to watch the next season by whether or not I think there's potential in the season just past.

I did that for Voyager and made it all the way to Season 5. I did it for Enterprise and stopped midway through Season 2, but did end up watching re-runs and then came back for the third and fourth seasons.

4. Jarvisimo

Jarvisimo Captain Captain

Its interesting this debate in america; in the rest of the world, Discovery's position on Netflix makes it immediately available to millions of viewers, many of whom will watch it because of the medium putting it front and centre (which begun this week with the ads on homepage), the old fans and those people who liked the Abrams movies. It's a shame it isn't on Netflix there, but it makes this anger to CBS Access seem very silly - a service very little different from many paid for services.

Do you want CBS to evolve, to survive, to continue making television after TV itself stops being lucrative enough to support big budget TV without a subscription service? It is annoying to be sure but the strange resentment to the medium is bizarre, as though streaming isn't now the method most incredible TV is broadcast through in the us.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
  5. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

If Discovery is a hit, they'll just make more crappy, dark & gritty, completely non-Trek shows and slap the Trek name on them. Supporting crap just leads to more crap. At least if it failed they'd try something new, even if it took awhile (unlike what some "the sky is falling" people might say, Trek is too big a franchise to just disappear, even if it takes years Trek would have a new show again even if Discovery fails, and if STD fails a new show would probably be done completely differently, which would almost certainly be a good thing). I'd rather have no Trek then terrible, franchise insulting junk if the Trek label slapped on.

6. Ensign Ogahd Ahmganadai

I have sort of switched to "wait and see" mode. I'm tamping down my excitement, extinguishing my expectations and preparing myself to be utterly wrong about everything I've ever said about it, good or bad. We have less than a week to go. At this point I'm finished speculating, I'm finished defending, as right around the corner is the opportunity for the show to speak for itself.

Relayer1 likes this.
  7. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

I've been a Trek fan since I was a bairn. The announcement of a new show airing in less than a week should excite and captivate me, but it's just not. When it was first announced I was very excited and part of me wants to get back that level of enthusiasm and anticipation, but I just can't. A little disappointed in myself for becoming so jaded by my mid-30s.

8. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I'm mid 50's but I get where you're coming from. I may be excited about Discovery, but Star Wars 8 is another matter...

9. Starfury

Starfury Captain Captain

My excitement stopped the moment Bryan Fuller sat in front of an eager crowd and all he could think of was to ask them which captain they liked most. That moment I knew there was no vision behind Discovery.

10. Ridcully

Ridcully Commodore Commodore

Well he is not on anymore!

11. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm still cautiously optimistic about the show but we're like a work week away from when it starts and I should feel a lot more excited than I am. Maybe it's dreading another show being added to my already growing list, or the tone of the show kind of feels depressing, or it will be weird watching on a streaming site, which I've already purchased. I'm still going to watch with eager anticipation but this should be a huge special occasion and I don't really feel "special" about it yet.

12. Ridcully

As long as they are better than Enterprise...I am good!
    They have made very nice sets(wherever you like them or not, and good looking ships and such)....
    So they are clearly doing all out(again in spite of the old grumpy "fanbase").

13. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Why? Part of the fun of life is speculating about the unknown. Whether it be God, aliens or a TV show you haven't seen yet.

Just don't expect everyone to agree with your speculations. :techman:

Mad Jack Wolfe and Noname Given like this.
  14. BillJ

They've made very expensive sets. Nice is in the eye of the beholder.

15. Ensign Ogahd Ahmganadai

This again. I'm still struggling to figure out why what I said makes people think I demand agreement from everyone. I haven't said anything other users like Mage or Mr. Awe haven't said.

uberfalcon likes this.
  16. BillJ

You just come off as a bit troubled that people aren't as excited about the show as you are.

Mad Jack Wolfe likes this.
  17. Ensign Ogahd Ahmganadai

And some (not you) seem angry that others are looking forward to it.

18. Ridcully

:) Can't make me unhappy....

19. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm not getting that at all.

20. Ensign Ogahd Ahmganadai

I think I just need to take a step back from the whole ordeal. I'm clearly not objective, and soon we'll find out if anything any of us are feeling is warranted.

I'll say this; Monday, I fully predict about half the posts to be "Damn, that was awesome!" and about a third to be "sorry, it's at least as bad as I thought, maybe worse".

cultcross likes this.