How I Met Your Mother: Barney and... (Spoilers ahead...)

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Agent Richard07, Apr 30, 2008.

1. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I didn't see it at first, but I see it when I look at her pics. I wonder if the show runners thought the same thing and made it an in-joke.

2. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well they set up alot of things to happen next year. I like the countdown format that it seems next season will be. I wonder if that was the last time we'll see Ranjit or if he will go with them to the wedding. I was all grins when they revealed her. She isn't the most attractive person in the world, but it really doesn't matter. She will be Ted's dream girl. I'm very excited for the final season.

3. Agent Richard07

In March, I speculated that the show would take on a 24-style format for the final season and that we wouldn't see the mother until the end of next year. I was wrong about the mother, but it does look like we'll see the final season take place over the course of a single day or so. Maybe we'll get to know the mother next season even though Ted won't actually run into her until the end.

4. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!! THEY FINALLY SHOWED HER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm so happy and excited for next year! They're doing what I really, really wanted them to do! Spend a whole season showing how they fall in love and get together! I can't wait to see her as a fully realized character after the years of build up!

That said, I'm disappointed the wedding wasn't in this episode. But it's gonna be a kick ass season premiere. In four long, long months...

5. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

I loved this episode so much. This season has been pretty hit and miss, but it's nice to know that when the writing is on, it's just as good as when it was in it's prime.

I had a feeling we'd see the locket again, I didn't expect it to be Robin that grabbed it herself in the drunk state. Will be interesting to see what happens when/if Ted gives it to her.

I also love that Marshall got the call to be a judge, will make for a nice storyline between him and Lily, and since I was the one asking where that plotline went to a few weeks ago, I'm glad to see the writers haven't forgotten about it.

I felt the Barney/Robin plot was the weak link. The only thing I could think was: "Didn't Robin just give her engagement ring away?" I'm surprised they didn't bring that up. I did like how it wrapped up with them realizing they did a good thing.

And finally....THE MOTHER! When they showed her walking from the legs down I literally got on the edge of my seat. I have been waiting for this moment for so long, it was such a great moment. Like I said above, this season (for me at least) has been pretty hit and miss, but this season finale has made HIMYM one of the top shows that I am looking forward to next fall.

6. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

The camera followed her boots for five minutes, but we only saw her face for 5 seconds.

She's certainly a ringer for Alyson.

:)

When Lilly and Ted were having the conversation about being in love when their finances best friend, I was half expecting Lilly to say "Well, I eventually got over you didn't I?"

But then I've been hoping that Lilly would be the wife all along.

7. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

I've been reading the IMDB board for HIMYM, it's hilarious. All the Robin/Ted shippers there are absolutely furious that the Mother is not going to be Robin. Like they didn't specifically say that in the very first episode :D

8. Agent Richard07

9. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

Its like someone took Alyson Hannigan, Amy Acker and Alyssa Milano and combined them all into one delightful little package. Who do I thank for this joy of joys?

10. FFunctionalData

FFunctionalData Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

finally

that is all.

11. EmoBorg

EmoBorg Commodore Commodore

She does look like Alyson Hannigan !

12. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

My favorite bit was that all the extras in the Mother's scene were actually members of the production staff on the show, (inluding a former co-worker of mine!), utilized to cut down on the possibility of the scene being leaked.

A surprise brilliantly executed by the show. Bring on season 9!

13. marksound

marksound Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

If they really wanted a lookalike they could have hired that girl from the Wendy's commercials.

[​IMG]

14. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

Indeed, they really went to a lot of effort to keep this scene a secret until broadcast. It's really renewed my interest in this show, like you, I say bring on Season 9! :)

ETA: I've been watching the last minute or so of the finale here, probably more than is absolutely normal :p but I can't help it. I'm filing the mother reveal in my mind as one of my favorite moments of television. I think in the future it will end up in one of those lists of "Best moments in Television ever" or some such.

Also, I love lurking on the IMDB for this show and watching all the Ted/Robin shippers dealing with this revelation.

Last edited: May 14, 2013
  15. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

That's entirely dependant upon the reception of season 9.

History is littered with shows that had a stylistic or genre shift in their final season, only to completely alienate the viewer. I'm holding out hope that Bays and Thomas have a vision for their show, and that they have a story to tell and will tell it well.

16. tighr

I popped over to IMDB to take a look, and the amount of butthurt is unreal. The show has told us numerous times that Robin is not the mother.

17. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

Pleasantly surprised.

The episode itself was not that big a deal i must say but i fully expected them ti withhold the face of the mother and they didn't.

I also expected a two parter with the wedding itself and in the last few moments a repeat of the station scene where Ted sits on the bench and the mother approaches under her yellow umbrella.. fade out until fall.

Well.. i'm curious too see how the last season will play out. A 24 style approach would have been cool except for possible continuity purposes if they indeed meet for the first time after the wedding has concluded. That would indeed be a kick in the face if they spend the entire season with them prancing around and never actually meeting.

A few months waiting and then we'll see.

18. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

No doubt. Pretty early-on (and a bunch of times since) we've heard future Ted telling his kids one thing or another about their "Aunt Robin". do people just not pay attention?

19. tighr

Interestingly enough, it's been done (and was cancelled): Big Day on ABC in 2006, starring Marla Sokoloff. It was spectacularly terrible.

I'd think Thomas and Bays would be able to do a better job with the concept.

20. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

I've been looking to get the seasons on blu-ray, but I can't seem to find any evidence that seasons 1-3 are on blu-ray, just 4-7. Is it just something they haven't gotten around to yet? Or am I just not looking in the right place (which seems unlikely, as I've been on amazon, and I think if anything, I'd be able to find it there).