How disapointing was the movie Paul?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by G2309, Aug 18, 2011.

?

How disapointed were you

1. Not at all

35 vote(s)
    77.8%
  2. As disapointed as I am when I find the bisuit jar empty

3 vote(s)
    6.7%
  3. As disapointed as I am when I see a bad conclusion to a promising two parter episode

4 vote(s)
    8.9%
  4. As disapointed as I am when I watched Phantom Menace

3 vote(s)
    6.7%
  1. G2309

G2309 Captain Captain

I only watched it yesterday been a bit behind the times as was out the country when it came out. Was very disapointed compared to Shaun of the dead and Hot Fuzz this was so dull and predictable. Where were the clever gags and memorable moments.
    I didn't hate it there were some good moments but I expected more.

2. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Vice Admiral Admiral

I thought it was the best of the three films but maybe that's just me.

3. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's pretty sad when Simon Pegg, et al, end up ripping off Seth MacFarlane.

4. Servo

Servo Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It makes me laugh how making a film about two guys meeting a talking alien that's acclimated to Earth and it's culture, is suddenly ripping off Seth McFarlane. As if McFarlane was the first one to come up with an idea like that. :rolleyes: :lol:

5. Shurik

Shurik Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

IMO it was one of the best movies of 2011, so far.

6. Galileo7

Galileo7 Commodore Commodore

Seth MacFarlane's Roger is funnier than Paul. Roger's Paul Lynde sounding voice adds a lot to the humor.

7. G2309

G2309 Captain Captain

I didn't find it as clever as the other two felt like a teen comedy at times and had some really bad running gags. "oh no people keep thinkingwe're a gay couple" hhaha :vulcan:

8. Servo

Servo Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's been a running gag throughout Pegg and Frost's collaborations for over a decade.

9. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Are all the other aliens, like Roger, snarky substance abusers on the run from the CIA?

Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
  10. OsmiumJohnnycake

OsmiumJohnnycake Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Terrible movie without a single laugh, which is weird since it's filled with people I usually love. Then again I'm not as big a fan of Shaun or Hot Fuzz as many others are, either.

11. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

I liked it.

12. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Unlike Shaun or Fuzz, I will not be coming back to watch Paul again anytime soon. It wasn't so much bad as just routine, as if Hollywood crushed the ingenuity out of Peg et al.
    Which may be what happened - after all, that CGI must have been expensive - which means a big studio - which means more interference, etc etc. Before you know it, you've got a bog standard formulaic scifi comedy. UGH.

13. Robert D. Robot

Robert D. Robot Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^ Could be! We just watched "Toy Story" and in the bonus features the interviews with the creators/illustrators showed how some top exec wanted the characters (especially Woody) more and more edgy until they (especially Woody) became really unpleasant and not fun to watch. Fortunately, the exec had sense enough to back off and let the animators tell the story that they had originally wanted to tell (but only AFTER he was shown a preliminary sample scene of the movie where the older toys were downright mean & unlikeable-- resulting from changes that the exe had requested/encouraged).

Maybe the execs dealing with Pegg did not have the right amount of sense to back out of the creative process.

14. scnj

scnj Captain Captain

Paul was very disappointing, but your poll is weird. I saw TPM at age 10, so I wasn't disappointed at all. :p

15. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

Paul was all right, nothing brilliant. But Simon Pegg and Nick Frost have said they toned down and weren't as edgy because it was a studio film and not independent like Shaun or Fuzz.

16. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

Rather misleading poll there. Paul wasn't disappointing. I loved every bit of it, beginning to end.

17. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Not at all, loved every bit of it.

18. CaptainWacky

CaptainWacky Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Shaun Of The Dead and Hot Fuzz: co-written and directed by Edgar Wright. Paul: no Edgar Wright involvement. So I wasn't expecting it to be that much like those two. It was pretty much as good as I expected ("okay, but won't watch it again.")

19. ITL

ITL Vice Admiral Admiral

I was quite pleased with the movie. Edgar Wright brings out the best in Pegg & Frost as a writer/director/creative collaborator, so I figured Paul would be lacking that certain something that Wright brought to Shaun & Fuzz. So, no worries.

20. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I liked it. It wasn't a brilliant movie, but it kept me entertained.