how did burlinghoff rassmussen know about the enterprise d?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by WildManWizard, Apr 28, 2020.

1. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

This fake Rasmussen did say it had taken him "weeks" to learn the ropes of the timepod, to the degree that he did, that is. Perhaps the original plan, by the real Rasmussen, had been to visit this planet in the middle of crisis and chaos where nobody would have the attention to spare for spotting him? The delay (which the autopilot took in absolute terms, also arriving "weeks" late) meant that the pod ran into the starship instead... And our thief turned the threat into an opportunity.

Timo Saloniemi

2. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Ont he timepod encountering the Enterprise I mean it happened because it needed to happen for there to be a story. I don't think there was any reason at all for any time traveler to want to see this particular mission of the Enterprise, especially to the extent of making themselves known to be there to do this. The roll of dice when the pod shows up the Enterprise just happened to be nearby. Rasmussen set the pod to travel, it popped out where it did and he probably planned on going off to find something to do, it just happened the Enterprise was somewhat nearby so he went for them.

3. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

Should we assume that the universe is so full of time travelers that sooner or later, one would necessarily appear just 300 km off the heroes' starboard bow? Or that the universe is so full of starships that the unique time travel event would necessarily take place close to one of those?

We know the latter ain't true at least: there are way too few starships around for Starfleet to be able to accomplish its mission. Which is a story convenience that works without any inconvenient assumptions, as it automatically facilitates the stories where the heroes' is the only ship around.

The former is a bit unlikely to be true, too. I mean, yes, there's enough oomph in the universe for everybody to travel to the past at least twice - at least time travelers will never run out of time. But it's an observed fact that timepods don't pop up every week. Why's that? Are most of them competent at hiding their presence, and only the ones hijacked by amateurs actually ever get spotted?

In order for there to be this story, we need to have the timepod emerge where and when it does. And coincidence isn't the only explanation available to us. Personally, I'd steer away from coincidence, both because it's unrealistic, but also and primarily because it's so dull...

Timo Saloniemi

Mojochi likes this.
  4. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I mean any of it is possible, but just the feel of things makes me think there's deliberate intent for someone to have wanted to show up there with the time pod, more likely the original owner, who most likely wouldn't intend to be as obvious as the fraud was