How can Shatner be written into the film?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Eddie Roth, Jul 27, 2007.

1. Basill

Basill Captain Captain

I'll be content without Shatner. May his Kirk rest in peace. Long live the Kirk!

2. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

One possibility could be a series of "holographic captain's log" recorded by Kirk.

3. NathanielM

NathanielM Captain Captain

No use Novel Shatner wrote as the method... the borg and his body not being there when spock visits his grave.

That is the only way it would work... to a point.

4. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's not true. Everyone who's a fan of the original "Star Trek" series is not on the same page regarding this at all.

Given the opportunity to do a TOS movie, especially given the chance to take the characters back to the early days of the series (and a bit before), devoting time and energy to detouring off into an elaboration on events in a thirteen-year-old movie created by a different team for a different audience isn't something that everyone would want to do at all.

5. RookieBatman

RookieBatman Commodore Commodore

That's not bad, actually. Kind of similar to the Stan Lee/Lou Ferrigno "walk-by" cameo in the Hulk movie. It would satisfy the fans who justifiably feel that Shatner today doesn't look like Kirk anymore, and it would hopefully satisfy those people that just want to see Kirk on screen, somehow.

6. Zachary Smith

Zachary Smith Vice Admiral Admiral

I will say this now without equivocation: If Captain James T. Kirk as played by William Shatner appears in this film as a HOLOGRAPHIC FIGURE on a HOLODECK or teaching aid or as a hologram in any form other than perhaps (and I do mean only *perhaps*) a treasured momento kept by someone as a reminder of days gone by, I simply will NOT see the film.

In fact, if there is a HOLODECK in this film, I will likely give the whole thing a pass.

You are free to savage me for being closed minded etc but there are certain "24th" Century conventions (AKA banal plot contrivances) that I just can no longer stomach. The DAMNED holodeck is one of them. I hate it.

I'd rather Shatner not appear at all if he's going to be a "hologram". For that matter, I'd rather he not appear as some "relative" of Kirk's either. It's NOT necessary to raise Kirk from the dead to have Shatner appear. There are innumberable ways to use him. As far as I'm concerned, the holodeck is NOT one of them.

7. Baldus885

Baldus885 Captain Captain

As much as I like Shatner's Kirk, the one from the 60's TV series, if this movie has Shatner in it I won't see it. It doesn't need him.

8. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Who says Shatner has to play Kirk? Denny Crane in the 24th Century! Bidi-bidi-bidi!

9. seigezunt

seigezunt Vice Admiral Admiral

All this talk of boycotting the film. It truly is best they pay no attention to what the the "fans" are saying, and shoot for something with general appeal. It's a movie: if it has an element you don't like, so? You're out maybe $8?

I just don't get the attitude. I like Star Trek (TOS), and I'll check the movie out, and if it sucks, I'll say it sucks.

10. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

This premise requires an additional character: the young Sybok, played by Keanu Reaves.

At the climax of the film, he materializes in Kirk's quarters in his telephone booth and tells the new Captain of the Enterprise: "Dude, listen - when you're on Veridian III one day fighting this guy Soran, remember that I just went forward in time and hid this awesome raygun behind a rock!"

11. Jon1701

Jon1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Bottom line, if Shatner ends up in this film - the presence of an older Kirk needs to be explained away in two lines of dialogue. At the most.

If he's in. Just have him in. Lets not worry about why.

12. Superman

Superman Fleet Captain

^^^While I agree, Abrams said at Comic Con that Kirk's appearance couldn't just be dropped in.

\S/

13. Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I just had a thought while browsing over the thread suggesting Spock might die in Star Trek. Check this out: if they HAVE to do a flashback story, have Spock on his deathbed telling an eager nephew, son, grandson, whatever.. shit, have it be Saavik's son, telling his adventures when he was younger with Captain Kirk. Have the movie play out in flashback mode.

THEN... when the story's done, have Spock pass on, and we see the afterlife from his point of view... he's on the Enterprise-A, Captain Kirk is there waiting on him. CGI in Dr. McCoy and Scotty, but have everybody else in their present forms. I think this could be an emotional ending for the movie, seeing the Spock character dying and perhaps having the bridge on the Enterprise-A being open to interpretation as either being a) The Afterlife or b) Flashbacks people supposedly experience when they die. But, that'd be a good way to include Shatner.

14. Ihlecreations

Ihlecreations Captain Captain

I am amazed no one ever thought of a KIRK flashback. do di do do (wavy screen effect) Do di do ...

Ext. Veridian 3

Bridge with Kirk Falls towards camera. It hits the ground in a cloud of dust and debris. Camera slowly moves in, trained on the now pinned and bleeding Kirk. Camera contiues to move into a close up of Kirks eye until it is so close the screen is black. Kirk has one line

Kirk:
    Spock...
    Roll Credits
    Story of Young Kirk and Spock plays out. End of story ends with the Enterprise or what ever ship they are on heading towards a star that flares directly into the lens that is the transition to a reflection of the sun on Kirks insignia badge on his grave as a hand reaches down to touch it. Cut to a shot of Spock bending over the grave.
    Spock(A tear in his eye):You have been and always shall be my friend.
    May the wind be at your back.
    Cut to the TOS Enterprise not the Movie Enterprise warping off screen.
    Alexander Courage Fan Fare.
    It is not the best but it is a way to get the Shat in the movie.

15. wellsweb

wellsweb Commander Red Shirt

I have two suggestions:

1. An updated version of what we got in "The Tholian Web". Kirk leaves a "message" for Spock.

or

2. A scene immediately before Generations. Spock could be explaining to Kirk why he's not going on the Enterprise B. Something like:

SPOCK "Jim, in all my life, I have never had an 'intuition' about anything like this. Please do not go on this mission."

KIRK "An "intuition'? You, Spock? When was the last time you spoke to McCoy? I'll be fine. It's just a shakedown. Starfleet want's me to go and hold Harriman's hand, and I said I'd go. Besides, I got a message from Excelsior. Demora's been assigned to the Enterprise. Another Sulu at the helm. What could go wrong?"

16. RookieBatman

RookieBatman Commodore Commodore

You know, I was thinking about cameos, and how cameos used to be a bit more on the sly. Like, if they really just want to give a nod to the fans, back in the day, they'd just throw Shatner in a crowd scene, or as an audience member at a speech.
    I personally like all the big new Stan Lee cameos with dialogue, but a lot of people don't, so in deference to them, I would say hearken back to the days when Stan the Man just looked on in amazement or pulled a child away from falling rubble. I don't see any reason why just putting in a brief glimpse like that of Shatner wouldn't count as honoring his legacy.
    You know what would be funnier, though? Shatner as a lounge singer at a Starfleet bar. He could sing/recite "Beyond the rim of starlight..." Now, I don't actually think they would do that, but if they did, I think it would be hilarious, and I think Shatner would probably eat it up.

17. Baldus885

Baldus885 Captain Captain

I don't see the point of "honoring the legacy" - The Shat has played Kirk, now he doesn't. Isn't the whole idea of the movie honoring Trek enough? Slipping in some surreptitious shot of him wandering past is just stupid. Just dump all that and make a Trek movie.

18. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I forget who to credit this with... but the most hysterical idea I ever heard saw was posted right here at TrekBBS.

Young Spock is in a Rigellian bar waiting to be picked up for a new assignment.

There's a throng of dancing Orion women on stage and they part to reveal, seated with an enormous grin on his face, Shatner in full green make-up!

That kind of cameo would probably result in the most cinemagoers ever to simultaneously to splurt out their shakes. :lol:

19. Peacemaker

Peacemaker Vice Admiral Admiral

If the movie is to focus on the beginning of their friendship, then it stands to reason that a Kirk/Spock "reunion" would focus on the end of that relationship, when Spock dies, but with the idea that it is an eternal friendship that continues on.

I'd make the movie the story of Spock recounting their first meeting and adventure together; then, at the end, he simply goes to his home, lies down and dies a very peaceful death. Kirk is there to meet him at the moment of his death. "Hello, Old Friend... (Shatner)" the shot pulls back and its Kirk and Spock in old age as Shatner and Nimoy; then change the shot, "I've been waiting for you, (closeup on the new actor)," He holds out his hand, and Spock (now Quinto), grasps it as in a handshake, have Quinto raise his eyebrow in that special "Spock" way, and have them walk away from the screen or simply cut to the credits. Make it a real tear jerker sequence, and let that be the end of the movie. The audience can interpret that as them being together in the afterlife or as a hallucination. Don't dwell on it, and let us fill it in however we wish; and we all finally get closure on these two characters.

20. Balthier the Great

Balthier the Great Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That would be cool. They did something like that in Spiderman. They have some crazy lady sing the 1970's Spiderman theme for money. Tobey McGuire walks past and gives her a weird look.

Though, I do like the idea of Denny Crane defending Kirk at his first ever court martial. Of course, I think most the trek-fans woould leave at this point... so maybe not.