Hey, I never noticed that before....

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Warped9, Aug 1, 2015.

1. Coops

Coops Captain Captain

TNG - Family. Brilliant, brilliant episode. The older I get the more it resonates.

However, when Louis visits the Picards the lovely Marie asks him if he wants some wine (I get it's a vineyard but does nobody have just a mug of tea round there?) to which he says yes. But then, about a minute later he's gone and out the door and we sadly miss Marie coming back in with his wine and presumably asking "Where's that rude f**k gone?"

I guess she just necked the wine herself, they were probably alcoholics.

I've also decided that the fire which later killed Rene and Robert was probably caused by Robert and Marie doing something clumsy and dumb after drinking wine all day.

Commander Troi likes this.
  2. Swedish Borg

Swedish Borg Commodore Captain

Ironic acronym since we had to wait till Discovery to have open gays in Star Trek...

3. Henoch

Henoch Glowing Globe Premium Member

Senior Helmsman does not make a Department Head...I got the impression that both the helm and navigation divisions report to the same Department Head, Lt. Commander Unknown Gold Shirt who sat in his office below decks most of Season One.
    [​IMG]

BK613 likes this.
  4. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Why do I feel like that must be Shatner's double?

GNDN18 likes this.
  5. Maurice

The Guardian is totes LGBT.

Commander Troi and BK613 like this.
  6. Swedish Borg

Swedish Borg Commodore Captain

How so?

7. BK613

BK613 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Division officers then...point being that one doesn't answer to the other in the chain of command.

Besides that's just a Reservist LtCmdr putting in his two weeks. :nyah:

Henoch and GNDN18 like this.
  8. Maurice

HUMOR.gif

Last edited: Jun 19, 2021
  9. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

Replaying the same biasedly violent bits of the distant past over and over again to fill the inner void with at least something? Making people experience alternate paths of life while itself insisting that it can't change? I guess there are some points of connect...

Timo Saloniemi

10. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Helm dude looks like Lumpy Rutherford to me.

11. Timo

...Perhaps this Department Head crawls out of his office and clocks in some flying hours now that he can rest assured that the ship isn't actually going anywhere ("Alternative Factor")?

Timo Saloniemi

12. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

Just watched the Gideon episode yesterday and this is the first time I've thought about the people outside the Enterprise just madly wandering about in a circle. Were they on ladders or something? I mean how does the Enterprise stand up on land?
    This is probably the most ridiculous episode of TOS. How could the Gideon's copy an entire ship and balance it, know the contents of Kirk's cabin say?

13. Gingerbread Demon

Gingerbread Demon I love Star Trek Discovery Premium Member

And then the Guardian became Detective Jim Brass, then changed back.

14. BK613

BK613 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They built it in a building (meaning that all they needed to do was replicate the interiors.) Presumably a building more than 947' long with at least as many floors as the E has decks. So there could be peeps outside the walls on every floor.
    IMO it is the second worst behind Plato's Stepchildren and on my 'usually skip' list.

jaime likes this.
  15. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nah, the Gideonites just built a few corridors & rooms and employed stage hands to swap out the details whenever Kirk wandered round the corner. He was still suffering from the drugs they had given him after beaming down so wasn't able to notice small details.
    But Spock (who was actually in his right mind) realised he was on a replica straight away! :techman:

Phaser Two and Commander Troi like this.
  16. UssGlenn

UssGlenn Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As mentioned in the earlier post, just the interiors are built inside a larger structure.

Gideon clearly has advanced replicator technology, how else are they feeding all those people? Anyway, they secretly scanned the Enterprise and replicated a copy with all the superficial details. Kirk mentioned it doesn't work, so they didn't worry about replicating working warp engines or anything complicated like that.

17. Timo

We know Kirk is not firing on all thrusters here, as he claims he has "searched every area of the ship" right before a scene where Spock says the Captain beamed down "minutes ago"! Since Kirk has been knocked out cold for nine minutes, he really would only have had five minutes or so to wander through the ship before Spock would start using different language altogether. He isn't winded enough to have performed that search at Usain Bolt speeds.

More probably, Kirk's merely delusional. Perhaps somebody whispered things in his ear when he was being processed during those nine minutes, and the hypnotic suggestions both make him think untruths and think nothing of thinking untruths...

Timo Saloniemi

18. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

You can't assume everything is happening in absolute parallel time-wise in that episode.

19. Timo

Heh, even with the total time of Spock wrestling with Gideonite bureaucracy taken to account, Kirk would have been unable to truly search the entire vessel... And there's a lot of action on either side after these fateful phrases, so it's pretty difficult to squeeze Kirk's statement to anywhere past the first half an hour of his visit to the fake ship. And even that's being too generous, since the Gideonites would have had little reason to wait before sending Odona in!

Timo Saloniemi

20. Spock's Barber

Spock's Barber Commodore Commodore

In The Tholian Web, Spock scans the entire USS Defiant in a few seconds and tells Kirk “There is no sign of life aboard this vessel.” On the Gideon copy of the Enterprise, couldn’t Kirk have saved the soles of his Starfleet boots and just used any science station scanner on the faux ship to achieve the same results? :crazy: